OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Do most shooters you know use quality scopes?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2010 at 10:36
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

We should take a collective step back and define our terms more clearly.  "Junk" and "cheap" are not, in my estimation, synonymous; however, there is a correlation much of the time. 
One case in point: Counter Sniper optics will sell you a $6000 titanium scope - and it is pure garbage - but far from cheap. 

As I said previously, if 100 yards is your max shot, there is no need for a $3,000 scope.  That, and you find no Wally World scopes at 1,000 yard matches, not because the shooters are too proud, but because the gear isn't up to the task.

The one statement made previously, about how the gap in quality between cheapest and best is now smaller, I could not possibly disagree more.

If all you need a scope to do is magnify the target some and not lose zero badly, sure, most scopes will do that.  If you require a scope that will spin up from a 100 yard zero to an 800 yard shot and make a hit on the first round, and spin back down to zero accurately, few scopes will do that.  True, at 100 yards, image is fine on a less expensive scope, but I've seen more than one spike or button die because the optic and/or shooter couldn't resolve boy from girl.

I'd love to find a $100 scope that will do what a Hensoldt will, but have yet to find even a $1000 scope that will.  Does everyone need a Hensoldt, absolutely not!  But, by that same token: does everyone need a Tasco Silver Antler: hell no - I'd rather use a slingshot!
I don't think it can be said much better than that. Nice work R C. Excellent When you start cranking on turrets, everything changes.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Folically Challenged View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Folically Challenged Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2010 at 07:17
My buddies hunt with Leupolds (a Rifleman, or a VXI if he's feeling really spendy...), and Vortex (Crossfire & Viper).

Now at the range... that's another story.  Tons of Tascos, BSA's, and NC Stars.  I always scratch my head when I see them obsessing over their reloads, & talking endlessly about what they've done with/to their rifles, and see them with a tacti-cool BSA in cheapo mounts.  These guys usually setup with their bore-sighted scopes at the 200 yard line, & blast through 3 boxes trying to get on paper.  I'm not sure if it's more comical, or more sad.

One guy looked through my Conquest, & said, "Man, Hell!  Those things cost $3000!".  I didn't have it in me to disabuse his notion.

I can't look down my nose at folks, though.  I know there are legions out there who've taken more game with a .30-.30 and iron sights, than I'll ever see in my lifetime.  If it works for you, GREAT!

But... if you're happy with what you've got... FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THINGS HOLY, do NOT go and look through anything more expensive!!!!!

FC
cowski View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2010 at 08:33
i see more simmons around here.
never corner something meaner than you are jbc
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2010 at 10:50
Originally posted by Folically Challenged Folically Challenged wrote:

But... if you're happy with what you've got... FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THINGS HOLY, do NOT go and look through anything more expensive!!!!!

FC
     Laugh Above     Excellent
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
okc4956 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote okc4956 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2010 at 11:02

If you do, you're in trouble!!!!It's hard to go back!
Folically Challenged View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Folically Challenged Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2010 at 11:22
Originally posted by okc4956 okc4956 wrote:

If you do, you're in trouble!!!!It's hard to go back!

Kind of like finding a woman who's NOT psychotic.  It's hard to go back to the other kind, and you're much better off staying where you are!

FC
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2010 at 11:25
     Shocked       My better judgement won't allow me to comment further.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2010 at 12:03

Gotta take exception with Oldtrader3 

I'll call you out on this one as far as what a real hunter is as opposed to an optics snob. 

a REAL hunter puts meat in the freezer, ever year, using gear you think is inadequate. A REAL hunter is not going to hump a $3500 scope on a pristine rifle through a briar patch, and a REAL hunter isn't going to piss on anyone else's gear just because he can afford better. 

Sorry for the rant guys, but that kind of arrogant attitude hits me very much the wrong way. 

If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
hawgwild73 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hawgwild73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2010 at 12:42
Here in Arkansas you see alot of people using the Wally World specials (Bushnell, Simmons, Tasco).  I was in this crowd too, until I bought my first Nikon.  I started with 2 ProStaffs, then got a Burris, just ordered a Vortex.

I got my dad and bro-in-law using a little more high end models, gotta work on some of the buddies now.

It amazed me how much of a difference there is going from WalMart scopes to even the lower end model of the quality optics makers.

Dshusker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dshusker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2010 at 15:23
Great comments, particularly from the Optics Masters. My take is simple. I try to buy the best value for the application I intend using it on. I don't have the skills or eye sight to shoot past 350- 400 yds so I purchase decent value scopes like Bushnell Elites, Zeiss Conquests, and Sightrons. Don't see the need for Swaros, high end Zeiss, etc., for me because my skill sets just don't meet the test. For that matter, my skill sets don't come close to the rifles I shoot. Just my opinion.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2010 at 16:24
Originally posted by neilbilly neilbilly wrote:

I'll call you out on this one as far as what a real hunter is as opposed to an optics snob. 

a REAL hunter puts meat in the freezer, ever year, using gear you think is inadequate. A REAL hunter is not going to hump a $3500 scope on a pristine rifle through a briar patch, and a REAL hunter isn't going to piss on anyone else's gear just because he can afford better. 

Sorry for the rant guys, but that kind of arrogant attitude hits me very much the wrong way. 

I killed an elk last year with a 300Wm precision "tactical" rifle topped with a Premier 3-15X, I also killed a very large hog with a 6.8 AR(suppressed) topped with a Trijicon 2.5-10.

I've taken game with pure crap and with the best of the best.  I do, with regularity, hump a 12 pound rifle when hunting - nothing sucks more than finding 400 yards of open group to the target and having a 300 yard gun.  Better too much than too little, so I usually err on the side of a 300WM that will reach out past 600 yards if necessary.

I don't think I am an optics snob, but I sure did hate that Tasco Silver Antler that cost me a nice deer a few years ago, and my Premier has yet to do me wrong.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2010 at 16:26
And if I pissed on anyone's gear, that was never my intention.  As I said way back in the beginning, most times a $10 saddle on a $5 horse makes no sense.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2010 at 16:46
The way I look at it, it depends on how serious you are about shooting and how far out you want to shoot...also how much you value reliability and repeatibility. If you're serious about it, then it's not hard to justify spending a grand or more per scope (provided the rifle is worth it). Especially if you don't have other expensive hobbies. Me, I like nothing better than hoofing it through remote, rugged terrain. So I've bought high-end gear. But have still spent far less than someone who likes to ride a motorcycle, fish from a bass boat or use a snowmobile.

Some guys I know have decent optics (higher end hunting Leupolds or Nikons). Others have the crap scope that came with their $350 rifles. They all get enjoyment out of hunting but those guys with the lower end stuff expend far more ammo and make some bad - sometimes wasteful, inhumane - shots. Put what you can into it within reason and your requirements.
Reaction time is a factor...
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2010 at 16:47

Originally posted by neilbilly neilbilly wrote:

I killed an elk last year with a 300Wm precision "tactical" rifle topped with a Premier 3-15X, I also killed a very large hog with a 6.8 AR(suppressed) topped with a Trijicon 2.5-10.

I've taken game with pure crap and with the best of the best.  I do, with regularity, hump a 12 pound rifle when hunting - nothing sucks more than finding 400 yards of open group to the target and having a 300 yard gun.  Better too much than too little, so I usually err on the side of a 300WM that will reach out past 600 yards if necessary.

I don't think I am an optics snob, but I sure did hate that Tasco Silver Antler that cost me a nice deer a few years ago, and my Premier has yet to do me wrong.
I am in the "lug a 12LB rifle" group too. Not quite as nice as RC's I'm sure, but it's been good to me. It reaches out to 500 yards easily on game. (my self imposed limit) I would never skimp on the optics on this gun. I do have others with cheaper scopes on them, but on the rifle I ask the most of, I put on the most I could afford...........and never looked back.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2010 at 17:09

RC  You are a hunter, we both know that. Big Smile You also know and use good gear and have NEVER tried to make anyone feel like less of a sportsman for using what they have. 

The other guys post just hit a sore spot with me. I grew up in Western Arkansas, poor white trash. I spotlighted to supplement groceries when we were between batches of chickens for Tyson and have killed way more than my share of deer. "some even legally"

When I saw someone say guys using a tasco scope and shooting once a yr at the range to make sure they were still on being called amateurs it hit the red button with me. Not everyone can afford to go out and tie up a ton of money in gear. I make 6 figures now and can't go shoot .308's and 7mm mags twice a week at the country club like the other poster. I do have access to our company rifle range and shoot once or twice a month. As Hawgwild stated, I run out of ability long before I run out of gear. 

Most of these were taken with gear that calling good is being kind.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I normally just shoot does as I don't have any good horn recipes, but the ones in the can are all animals I've taken. I make knives and have used up a lot of what I had doing that. 

I'm not exactly the mighty hunter and know other people shoot and kill a lot of impressive game. I also know guys who do use clam packed stuff from wallyworld and shoot 10 or so rounds a year out of guns from the cheaper end of the counter. To call them amateurs is ignorant. They are efficient. I'll be happy to distribute any cast off gear that is better than what they are using if anyone is donating. It's not that they don't appreciate it, or know it exists, it's just not in the budget. I've re-gifted 5 Bushnell Trophys this year so far and as I add better scopes to my rigs, I'll continue passing along stuff that is a little better than what people were using. 

If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2010 at 17:19
I took this little feller with a Simmons 1x scope that cost me $69 at my local rip you off sporting goods store.  I guess that means I am not a hunter either.  Loco

That scope has held up to the heavy recoil of 3 different muzzleloaders over the last 16 years and has never given me an once of trouble or lost its zero.  I keep thinking I ought to by a more expensive scope.  But then I question why?  It does what I need it to do and it is a proven problem free scope. 

Edited by supertool73 - June/02/2010 at 17:20
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Oldtrader3 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldtrader3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2010 at 18:44
Originally posted by trigger29 trigger29 wrote:

[QUOTE=Rancid Coolaid] [QUOTE=neilbilly]

RC, I got tired of the cheap scope mantra.  It gets a little wearing when most of us buy what we can afford, some of us can't afford expensive scopes, some can and still use the other stuff.  Nuf said, I will shut up now!

The idea is for all of us to feed our selves a good venison or elk diner and get along.  I really don't care even if you choose to use a sharpened stick for venison.  I just wanted a few of you to come clean of the good ole boy stuff.

Edited by Oldtrader3 - June/02/2010 at 18:45
CDR3
Oldtrader3 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldtrader3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2010 at 18:47

And if I pissed on anyone's gear, that was never my intention.  As I said way back in the beginning, most times a $10 saddle on a $5 horse makes no sense.
Me too, RC.
CDR3
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2010 at 20:10
" No..."  

Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2010 at 16:31
I have found the migration to more expensive scopes usually comes with the frustration af a lesser scope that failed to perform in a given situation. Rain, Low Light, Bright Light (glare on snow), Sun Flare, all of these have contributed to animals walking away and me emptying my piggy bank on more expensive glass.
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic