OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Mid-price binos 10-12X recommendation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHankster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mid-price binos 10-12X recommendation
    Posted: May/29/2010 at 20:28
First off, I'm a complete newbee here, so please excuse me if this has been beaten to death. Here's the deal, I'm looking for a new set of higher magnification bino's, 10-12X.  These will be used primarily for field (target) archery, which means looking for details (arrows/nocks) on a fixed target out to a max of 80 yds.  However, if I get into the higher end of my budget ~$500-600, then I would also like to use these bino's for hunting, where F.O.V and brightness also become important.  I already have a very servicable pair of 8x42's for hunting.

Here's the rub, my intrapupillary distance is 55 mm!  This narrows the search.

Here's my thoughts so far, Vortex Fury 12.5x42, Zen Ray ED2 10x43.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2010 at 21:57
Originally posted by TheHankster TheHankster wrote:

Nikon 10x42 SE has an IPD starting at 53mm but is very expensive and is not waterproof.
NDhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2010 at 23:25
Originally posted by Bird Watcher Bird Watcher wrote:

Originally posted by TheHankster TheHankster wrote:

Nikon 10x42 SE has an IPD starting at 53mm but is very expensive and is not waterproof.
The Nikon 10x42 SE would be a great pick if the user is looking for one of the finest optics
available in that size.  The brightness and clarity are at the very top, and as far as waterproof,
hunters use them.  Just keep the oculars covered in direct rain. 
There are some good reviews on this model on "Better View desired".
I have owned all of the Nikon SE's and they are among the best Porro prism binoculars.

These are in the budget here, and can be found from time to time, here on Samplelist,
or some other places.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2010 at 15:48
At the top end of your budget are the Leupold Gr HD's and a Minox HG which both have fantastic glass and the Leupy is built very ruggedly.  My Zen Ray Ed2 has been through a very tough hunting season and has held up well, with spectacular glass.  If you want to spend $400 get the Zen, if you're Ok with spending $599 get the Leupold.  Both are waterproof, and you get Leupold's stellar warranty and customer service.  Zen Ray's customer service has been great so far also.  I'd stay away from a non waterproof porro for hunting myself.  I do not believe they can handle the abuse, or weather.
NDhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2010 at 19:37
Raider:
What is the minimum IPD on the ZenRay?  55mm is right down there, as I just measured several bins I have.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2010 at 08:44
Not sure.  If/when I get time I'll measure it.  Never been an issue for me or the kids.  
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2010 at 09:53
Originally posted by NDhunter NDhunter wrote:

The Nikon 10x42 SE would be a great pick if the user is looking for one of the finest optics
available in that size.  The brightness and clarity are at the very top, and as far as waterproof,
hunters use them.  Just keep the oculars covered in direct rain. 

Other hunters have also noticed that after using them in the field alot they seem to be prone to allowing dust to accumulate internally. 
Zen-Ray View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zen-Ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2010 at 10:38
Originally posted by NDhunter NDhunter wrote:

Raider:
What is the minimum IPD on the ZenRay?  55mm is right down there, as I just measured several bins I have.

NDHunter, the 10x43/8x43 ZEN ED2 have minimal IPD of 55mm.

Thanks
Charles
Zen-Ray Optics
Follow us on Facebook
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic