OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Got Mauser today!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eurolynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Got Mauser today!
    Posted: May/29/2010 at 08:40
The Mauser project is complete! 

Just as a refresher, I gave my smith a M98 action, Adams & Bennett .308 (1in10 twist   24") tube and a Boyds JRS stock and Bold Trigger factory set at 3.5 pounds(also from Boyds).

The Vortex Diamondback is a 2-7x 35mm, in Burris Zee Rings, and Warne Maxima bases.

If all goes well, I will go and start to 'break in' the barrel today!  Although we all know they are good, I will try and find something to comment about the Diamondback.  The gunsmith said he may consider a Vortex if I give him proof of good results (he's a Leupold head).

I hope I will not have to float the barrell, but I am taking all my tools to the range, because every bolt action I have had before needed floating.  But my smith asked me to try and shoot it as he built it.

I am doing this away from home, but I will post rifle pics when I get back.
"Guns aren't toys! They're for family protection, hunting dangerous or delicious animals, and keeping the King of England out of your face!"
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2010 at 13:14
We'll be waiting.   Get Your Popcorn Ready
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
eurolynn View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eurolynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2010 at 21:24
Got an emergency phone call at the range, family medical issue and had to pack & leave
just after I finished up the 25 yard 'put on paper' session.

But did manage to get it in the DEAD CENTER of the zero target with the last 3-shot group.  One pretty hole that a PENNY covered.

Either tommorow or Monday I will attempt to do the 100 yard zero, providing the family members health improves.

But, the Diamondback was not a disapointment! It took a bit of 'clickage' to move the POI 8" to the left, and I had a slight pannic, until I realised I was still at the 25 yard targetWhacko.

I have no doubt I will have sub MOA when I do the one-hundred.  And I have no doubt I will own another Vortex in the future.

When I remember to bring my danged camera, I will throw in the target pics (proof for the pudding), and some before & after pics of the Mauser it's self.
"Guns aren't toys! They're for family protection, hunting dangerous or delicious animals, and keeping the King of England out of your face!"
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2010 at 21:43
Pics of your new rifle would be cool!!

Ed should be posting soon....  Big Grin
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2010 at 00:03
Nice.  Waiting for pictures.  I love my Mauser 98 action on one of my rifles.  
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Scott_at_Vortex View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott_at_Vortex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2010 at 14:43
Still waiting............................................patiently of course :)
www.vortextactical.com

www.vortexoptics.com
eurolynn View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eurolynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2010 at 21:53
Naw, didn't get to go back.  She had an overnight, so I did the uncle stuff for her munchkin.

Brahms ice cream really works well in cheering up little neiceletts.

But the range will have to wait for a few weeks unfortunately.  But patents is a virtue I have been told, and I will try to virtue myself for a while.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic