OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Target/Varmint Scope under $500

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiredeyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2010 at 12:44
Originally posted by onfinal onfinal wrote:

Tired, it's been my experience that, with Ruger, you are on your own when it comes to specifics regarding ring and scope mounting on Ruger products.  I called them about their recommendation for in/lbs of torque that should be applied to the screws on the Ruger rings that came with my Mini-14 and was told there is no specific number or even range, just "finger tight."

I think it is absurd that a major firearms mfgr has no recommended torque pressure for their own rings, but I must have got the same woman you did because there was no reasoning with her. 
They probably have people who know these things. My guess is they hired her and told her "Answer the damn phone so those people will stop bothering me".Come and Get Some

In the absence of anything specific from Ruger (SOP in my experience), I use my standard 18 in/lbs, but they are frustrating.
Duly noted, thanks. Assume this applies to ring clamps only and that base clamps require 30 or more inch pounds.
onfinal View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onfinal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2010 at 15:29
Yes, 18 in/lbs for ring clamps, and ~35 for base clamps.

The lady at Ruger actually put me on hold to "verify" they didn't have a specific ring torque recommendation, so whoever hired her to answer the damn phone didn't know either.
tiredeyes View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiredeyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2010 at 20:43
Now Ruger has a video on their site telling how to mount a scope. He says 20 inch pounds and 30 inch pounds.
He goes on to explain what size rings you need for your scope but he forgets that it's "bell diameter" not "objective lens" size that determines clearance. Someone needs to remind this guy that a scope with a 42 mm adjustable objective might be a larger bell diameter than a 44 mm without AO.

I should be getting the rifle tomorrow.
tiredeyes View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiredeyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2010 at 19:18

I received my new Ruger .308 KM77VT Mark II rifle today. It looks great. Same as my last one but instead of the "Target Gray" paint on the 26" SS barrel it's a matte SS, looks sandblasted.

The trigger breaks at 3 1/4 pounds. Nothing on the box, literature or rifle says "Made in USA" so I guess it's made in China just like everything else.Bucky

The medium scope rings that came with it allow a scope bell diameter of up to 56mm, maybe less for a real short scope due to barrel taper.

That price looks hard to beat. It looks like it comes with optional turrets. The only thing that makes me nervous is the fact that there are so many factory reconditioned ones in stock (see identical ones with nikkoplex). Why are so many being returned?

shootinggirl86 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootinggirl86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2010 at 15:25

Have you already bought your riflescope? This post caught my eye because my dad has a riflescope obsession and it seems to pass down to me..lol. Anyways I really like Sightmark riflescopes. We own a triple duty 10-40x56 rifle scope, it's sweet and way under your budget at only $359.00. Here are some of the specs if your interested:

10-40x56, 56mm objective lens, 97.5-85 eye relief, reticle-us army mild dot, anti-reflective coding, also it has  multi-coated lenses which give you the clearest view for easy target acquisition regardless of how bright or low the lighting is.. I know that's a big concern of mine. It's waterproof, fog proof, easily adjustable and I never have a problem with it not staying zeroed.

This brand probably isn't as well known as others like Nikon ect, which also has some good products but then again sometimes the whole brand thing is all hype. Hope this was helpful! I always like sharing any good products I find.  

Sharp Shooter
shootinggirl86
tiredeyes View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiredeyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2010 at 15:41
shootinggirl86,
I already ordered the Nikon Monarch linked in my last post.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic