OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

AR coyotes & paper

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AR coyotes & paper
    Posted: May/27/2010 at 14:04

Hey guys. I am going to get a new upper for my ar. Im pretty much set on the upper and rings. Scope im still settling on.

I want to smoke some coyotes (and other pest) out to say from 2-400 yards. Like to do some paper punching past that see what I can do.

Hows does this setup sound:
Bushmaster Predator 20" 1 in 8" twist.
Burris AR 1 piece mount
SSX10

shootn something around 75 grain BTHP

I dont have alot of money so Im trying to be, we'll say "money effecient"
And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 10:28
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2010 at 14:08

should work.  you'd have to test the 75gr bullets to see if they will be accurate seated to mag length.

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
stork23raz View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2010 at 14:21
Yea i figured id have to try a few different rounds see what the guns likes. I want something something with a high B.C. for 223 round.
Federal 77's is around .370 i think
Honardy has .395. I havent foudn anything higher than that yet.
I know Black hills makes some good ammo, but I cant find anything with the B.C. on it.
And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2010 at 14:23
I have great results in my 1 in 8 twist 24" AR with the Nosler CC69gr.  Going to try the 70gr SMK next
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2010 at 14:39

Yea, prob be closer to winter before I get it all. Gota save every penny. But I want to get the upper asap. 

Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2010 at 07:47

What still not sure if I really want the SSx10 though. I know its fanastic scope.

I was also considering:

I assume the Monarch would have better glass than this though(but its easier on the wallet)
http://swfa.com/Nikon-45-14x40-Buckmaster-Riflescope-P42210.aspx

I want something some good glass. Mildot for holdovers and ranging. Im not a cranker so knobs arent to big of deal to me.

What does everyone else use for coyote scopes? Say under $500 

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2010 at 07:51
Have you looked at the Vortex Viper lineup?  Several of them come with multiple reticle options including a BDC.
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2010 at 08:08
Oh and side focus. I like it the best.  
Im not much of a BDC guy. I perfer using mildots as hold overs.
Thanks I'll look at the Vortex. I hear they make good glass.

Just for an eye reference. I have looked through alot of scopes. But I got a Nikon Buckmaster6-80x40, and I had Zeiss 2.5-8 x32 conquest. 
how would this Vortex relate to them in glass?
http://swfa.com/Vortex-65-20x44-Viper-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P13285.aspx

Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2010 at 08:45

This may sound stupid, but just to clarify.

Say I get the vortex the uses teh mildot at 20x. I am shoot at distance "X" normally i would hold over 1 Mildot. But the mirage is to bad. So I could crank it down to 10x and hold over 2mils and get the same point of impact.
Is that right?

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2010 at 08:51
POI shouldn't change with magnification.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2010 at 09:08
I shoot the Hornady 75 gr BTHP out of my AR with a WHite Oak 18" 1-7 barrel and it is scary accurate.  During load development I shot a .317 inch 5 shot group with it.

The Amax bullets cannot be seated to mag length in an AR.  So if you are after heavy bullets the 77 SMKs or the above mentioned hornadys are good choices.  The Hornadys are considerably cheaper, that is why I use those over the SMKs.

For yote hunting, personally I think you would be better off with a 50 to 55 grain bullet.  It is all about getting the bullet there as fast as possible and with the 55 grainers you are going to have 300 to 400 fps more velocity.  Which is a very good thing on a most likely moving target.  Yotes don't stand around to much at least around here, they are always moving.  Even a 55 grain FMJ will nearly tear a yote in half, so they are plenty explosive and have enough energy.

But if you are just wanting one load to do it all, I would consider the Hornady 60 grains Vmax.  Very accurate a little heavier.  Wind is not going to mess you up to bad at just 400 yards.

I would not get a fixed SS if I were you since you will be using it for hunting yotes.  Get something with at least a 4x bottom end.  2 to 3x would even be better. 

Good luck, sounds like you are going to have a nice setup.  Thunbs Up
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2010 at 09:17
Originally posted by stork23raz stork23raz wrote:

This may sound stupid, but just to clarify.

Say I get the vortex the uses teh mildot at 20x. I am shoot at distance "X" normally i would hold over 1 Mildot. But the mirage is to bad. So I could crank it down to 10x and hold over 2mils and get the same point of impact.
Is that right?

Your theory is correct but backwards.  Just as an example, say you are at 20x and a yote takes up 1 mil.  Then you turn it down to 10x.  The yote got smaller in the scope, but the reticle stayed the same size.  So now he only takes up 1/2 of a mil instead of 1 whole mil.  Same think if you were holding over 1 mil at 20x and needed to turn down to 10x, now you would just want to hold over 1/2 mil instead. 

The problem with doing that is how do you know for sure your scope mags are really accurate per the dial.

What if when turned all the way up your scope actually is 20.5x.  And when you turn the dial to where is says 10x it is really 9.5x.  That would cause a miss at 300 yards most likely.  That is stuff you would want to double check on paper first.  I would just dial in most corrections if possible.  But like I said your theory is correct and with a little intitial setup at the range that could work. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2010 at 09:24
Yea thanks.. I hat it backward in my head. Yea. I really want a decent setup for a budge price. I wont really be hunting yotes. more or less shooting them form the back yard. They dont venture out to far from cover.. So the closesty tehy come prob 150 yards. Most my shots will prob be 2-300 yards. Rest of the time I will be shooting groundhogs crows and paper.

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2010 at 11:01
Wouldn't be the best for paper but for the critters you may want to look at the 3x9  Zeiss Conquest with the Rapid Z600 
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2010 at 11:07
If none of your shooting is going to be under 150 yards.  The 10x SS would probably be a good fit for you.  Still IMO I would hate to be limited to 10x on the bottom end for a hunting gun. 

For variable I would consider.  http://swfa.com/Bushnell-5-15x40-Elite-3200-Rifle-Scope-P8748.aspx
http://swfa.com/Nikon-6-18x40-Buckmaster-Riflescope-P42257.aspx
http://swfa.com/Sightron-4-16x42-SII-Riflescope-P9179.aspx

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2010 at 11:44
I would be more inclined to put the 3-9x42 Super Sniper on that or wait a couple months and  go with the fixed 6x42 Super Sniper rather than the 10x because sometimes coyotes will get in closer than you think before you see them and its hard to get onto a moving target under 100 yds with 10x.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2010 at 12:00
Thanks for all the advice guys
i really want a coyote/varmint gun yesterday. But i still feel very tempted to just save my money and get me ar in halves. Id end up spending ALOT more money on a rifle but i think id be happier. Its just whether i can show some self control on the money 
It wont be used for "hunting" just sittn in the back yard shootn stuff.
I very temtepd to jsut get a A2 lower put this trigger in it http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=337824 . Then save up for a good upper and an nice cool $1000 Leupold or Ziess.

BUT I WANT IT NOW

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2010 at 12:07
I would advise you to build your own lower at least.  Anyone can do it.  Then you buy the buttstock you want and trigger you want vs settling on what  comes factory.  Its very easy
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2010 at 12:49

I had thought about that. it would be cheaper.  I have looked up severeal how-to's before and I feel pretty confident that could do it all except the trigger. Which I would take to my local gunsmith. They have stripped lowers on  on Midway. I seen DPMS lower for 120. put everthing in it except the trigger. Put on a good grip and maybe even  MAgpul PRS AR-10 stock (im 6'9" so need that extra length over the ar15 version).

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2010 at 12:51
If you get a good drop in trigger is very easy. SOmething like a Timney thats self contained would work great.  you can even find a few chip McCormick triggers left out there that are the same way
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic