OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Best way to level crosshairs?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowr1der Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best way to level crosshairs?
    Posted: May/26/2010 at 20:21
So what do you guys use to level the cross hairs? Doing it by hand I can never get them level. I looked at the Level Level Level but it seems to get really bad reviews. Any suggestions?
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2010 at 20:39

Probably the easiest method is to hang a plumb line 20-30 feet away. If you don't have a plumb bob, just tie a fist sized rock on the end of a string, and the other end to a fence or something. Guarrenteed to be vertical!

If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
slowr1der View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowr1der Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2010 at 21:17
Yeah I've done something similar to this. However, then I don't seem to be able to get the gun level. So when I level the scope it ends up being off when I hold the gun up straight try to. I will get the gun so it looks level but can't ever get it fully level.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2010 at 22:29
you can use something like this to level the gun

B-Square Sight Tools

B-Square Weaver Bubble Bore Level
  $13.95 < id=ctl00_wpm_ShowProduct_ctl07_OurPrice_VS = value=YEb/62IHImc9D7Qtv2O2nhLItcLuWinaI8RnYL/rEb207HLe1RwWcYmu5a7NcfUy name=ctl00$wpm$ShowProduct$ctl07$OurPrice$VS>

B-Square Weaver Bubble Bore Level

Stock # - T1006
Add to Wishlist
< id=ctl00_wpm_ShowProduct_ctl07_Quantity style="WIDTH: 30px" =. maxLength=5 size=2 value=1 name=ctl00$wpm$ShowProduct$ctl07$Quantity> More
Less
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
slowr1der View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowr1der Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2010 at 23:07
Does that thing clip on the scope base? Or on the gun somehow or what? It really looks like what I need, I'm just unsure of how it clips on. 
slowr1der View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowr1der Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2010 at 23:12
Never mind I see how it attaches to the bases. One question though. What if on a gun with 2 piece bases where the ring takes up almost all of the base. Do you just use this to level it with the rings off the gun then take this off and put the rings on? Or is there something better to use in a case like this?
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2010 at 23:19
Here's how I do it. Level rifle........

Step two, level scope....

slowr1der View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowr1der Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2010 at 23:41
Where did you get that level? It looks handy. 
hunterwingler View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2010 at 23:41
Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

Here's how I do it. Level rifle........

Step two, level scope....

Yeah  thats pretty much how i do as well
I wasn't upset about the black cat crossing my path this morning but mouthing "your fu@#ed" as he passed was just rude.

If Guns kill people mine are all defective
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2010 at 23:45
Originally posted by slowr1der slowr1der wrote:

Where did you get that level? It looks handy. 

Had it for awhile. Probably can get a cheap one at any hardware store I would imagine.
snakeman48 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snakeman48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2010 at 01:17
That is what they call a "line level'

The one he is using is made by Stanley, and that is the exact same way I level my rifles and scopes.Then when I'm sighting in I do a 360 dial turn on the Vertical knob, either up or down.
If the scope is level the group will move straight up or down, depending on which way you turned the knob.
NRA Benefactor Member.    Veteran; US Army 5th Corps 1970-1972

The only time in my life when I got to Rock-N-Roll, and the ammo was free!!
Sandracer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2010 at 08:23

It looks to me that it would be better to take the stock off and find a place on the action to get the rifle level, then I wonder if you can trust the turret on the scope to be level? I guess the tolerance in the newer rifles would be better than the days when everybody and their dog tapped rifles for scopes.

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2010 at 08:29
 I've had GOOD LUCK for yrs with the Segway Scope Leveler.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2010 at 08:50
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=6097/Product/EXD_ENGINEERING_VERTICAL_RETICLE_INSTRUMENT

This is what I use.  Put the gun in a vise, put the level over the bell of scope and resting on the barrel, make sure they are plumb, tighten the vise and then use a plumb line or a verified plumb corner of a building and rotate your scope till the vertical bar and the plumb line are the same.  Have done this with my scopes and when I adjust vertical at the range it moves straight up and down and not at an axises.
Sandracer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2010 at 16:00
Originally posted by SD Dog SD Dog wrote:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=6097/Product/EXD_ENGINEERING_VERTICAL_RETICLE_INSTRUMENT

This is what I use.  Put the gun in a vise, put the level over the bell of scope and resting on the barrel, make sure they are plumb, tighten the vise and then use a plumb line or a verified plumb corner of a building and rotate your scope till the vertical bar and the plumb line are the same.  Have done this with my scopes and when I adjust vertical at the range it moves straight up and down and not at an axises.

Now this makes sense, I need to get one soon!
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2010 at 19:29
+2 to SD

I have tried several methods.  The turrets are not always level with the reticle, should be but not always.  Those little levels are just set in plastic and are often off and it is hard to find a good place on the action to set one

The method that I have been using for awhile now and can not find fault with is to use and EXD device

It is a well made tool

that was level with my 24" commercial woodworking level

What you are trying to do is lock your rifle in a vise when all the cant has been removed.  IOW when the vertical axis of the rifle and bore is aligned with the axis of the scope

Some more information available here

I lock my rifle in my bench vise when it is pointing out the door to a 4' level on the fence some 30 yards out.   When I have all the cant removed using the EXD device and the scope pointed at the 4' level, I rotate the scope in the rings until the horizontal reticle is aligned with the 4' level.  Next is the challenge of locking the scope in place with the EXD level and the reticle aligned with the distant level.  Not an easy thing to do and you will learn how the simple task of tightening screws on the rings can rotate your scope back and forth.

But when you are finished you will never again shoulder your rifle or set them in bags at the bench and have the frustration of knowing that the scope is rotated and the reticle not level.

Now you have to be able to duplicate the uncanted position of the rifle in the field.  The most important thing is to shoot when the reticle is level.  It really would not matter if your rifle was extremely canted as long as your reticle was level when you pull the trigger.

More information here

I have the microlevel on that website

and it is excellent but you can not use it will all scopes and can not put it on a hard kicker because of the reduced eye relief.  For most of my rifles I prefer the ScopLevel

You can see if without removing your cheek from the stock and it folds down when not in use

Now all this don't mean a hill of beans unless you are shooting past 400 yards but if you can get control of this then simple reticle leveling is a piece of cake.

Edited by sakomato - May/27/2010 at 19:33
Guns only have 2 enemies, rust and politicians
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2010 at 20:16

+1
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2010 at 21:25
Take a sighting of a building across the way.............

Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2010 at 10:01
That is only because you have your left shoe off ED.
Targetterror View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Targetterror Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2010 at 16:09
The best way (and indeed what you should do anyways, to verify alignment) is to shoot a group, then crank the scope way up or down by about 10 minutes or so, and shoot another group, making sure the reticle is level for both groups.  If the groups are directly above each other, then the scope is level.  If the are canted, turn the scope and repeat until they are level.

Note that this ensures that the vertical adjustment of the scope is level, which is ultimately what you want since that of course is how you dial in elevation for different distances.  This should be aligned with the vertical reticle, but may not always be so.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic