OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope Choice - Kahles or ???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacktails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope Choice - Kahles or ???
    Posted: May/25/2010 at 19:00
Posted the following over on the Campfire, and thought I'd get opinions here also.

I need some help picking a scope for an upcoming build. The gun will be a 7-08, kind of lighter weight, with a Rock Creek #2 sporter at 21" with a 1" shank on a Stiller Predator action (or possibly a Borden Alpine if I decide to switch), going in a McMillan Mainly be used as a deer gun hunting here in the rainy Northwest, with shots out to 400 max if that, more typically 70-250.I've got about $650 max for a scope, and was thinking about a Kahles CL 3-9x42, which from what I've read have some really nice optics (better than Conquests), especially at this pricing. My concern is that the ocular size might have some interference with the bolt handle since the ocular is pretty big. Anyone have any experience with this model Kahles? Are they any good, pros or cons? Do they have to be mounted higher? Too big for the gun? Any recommendations for other quality scopes that I should be considering for the same money? For what it's worth, I've been hunting for years using Leupold Vari-X III scopes, but would like to move up in quality.

Edited by Roy Finn - May/25/2010 at 19:48
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2010 at 19:47
blacktails, linking products (Leupold and McMillan) back to the 24Hourcampfire is not permitted here. I removed the links from your post. There are quite a few guys here that own Kahles scopes and love them. I'm sure they will chime in and help you out.

Thanks,
Roy

Edited by Roy Finn - May/25/2010 at 19:52
DAVE44 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2010 at 21:49
Kahles Cl does have a large ocular housing and a bit larger sight picture than the Conquest.
LongRifle View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LongRifle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2010 at 00:18
      I own 2 CL 3X9 42mm both with 4a reticlels I also own 2 AH 3x9 42mm Kahles are fine
scopes you will never regret a Kahles purchase for a rifle scope. The CL models are a very
coveted scope and are considered by many to be the finest 1 inch scope ever made and
that includes the new swarovsky Z3 models.
LongRifle
brodeur272 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brodeur272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2010 at 10:00
Go with the Kahles.  I have 4 CLs and don't have any bolt throw issues.  I'm also using medium height rings.  I would rate the CL up with my Helia Cs and Swarovski PHs.  For the price, they're going for now, there is nothing that will beat it
Browning View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Browning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2010 at 12:16
I love my CL....it's da bomb diggity!Big Grin
blacktails View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacktails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2010 at 14:06
Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

blacktails, linking products (Leupold and McMillan) back to the 24Hourcampfire is not permitted here. I removed the links from your post. There are quite a few guys here that own Kahles scopes and love them. I'm sure they will chime in and help you out.

Thanks,
Roy

Sorry about that Roy.  When I did the cut & paste from my post on the other forum, I didn't realize the links would do that, and didn't bother to check it out.   I won't be in such a rush next time.   All's good now!
bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2010 at 14:10

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2010 at 14:37
Originally posted by blacktails blacktails wrote:

Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

blacktails, linking products (Leupold and McMillan) back to the 24Hourcampfire is not permitted here. I removed the links from your post. There are quite a few guys here that own Kahles scopes and love them. I'm sure they will chime in and help you out. Thanks, Roy

Sorry about that Roy.  When I did the cut & paste from my post on the other forum, I didn't realize the links would do that, and didn't bother to check it out.   I won't be in such a rush next time.   All's good now!

Was wondering how that happened myself. I'll just add that it has nothing to do with the Campfire forum or site, it is advertising for anyone other than SWFA who owns this site. Thanks for your understanding.

Roy
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2010 at 15:23
blacktails,
Right offhand, I don't think you will have a problem with standard medium rings.  I have a Stiller Predator action on a custom rifle with similar components that has a Swaro scope on top with a larger eyepiece housing than the Kahles.  Using medium rings, the bolt barely clears the eyepiece, but it clears.

I have a Kahles CL 2-7X36 with the same diameter eyepiece housing as the 3-9X CL on top of a Kimber 84M with medium height rings, and I have no bolt handle clearance problems.  Granted it isn't a Stiller action, but it has the same 90-deg bolt throw.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Oldtrader3 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldtrader3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2010 at 19:46
I am a little late on this but I have (2) Kahles AH Model scopes and both of them are high resolution and contrast, slightly better than Zeiss Conquest and good FOV.  I have been using these two scope (3-9x42 & 3.5-10x50 AH's) since 2003 with complete satisfaction.  I have one mounted on a Winchester Model 70 (1949) (3.5-10x50) and one on a Sako, .338 Federal (3-9x42).
CDR3
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic