OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Can I put a picatinny rail on a Tikka T3?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luckystrike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can I put a picatinny rail on a Tikka T3?
    Posted: May/23/2010 at 20:04
Sorry if this is extra noobish but I'm new to the world of bolt action rifles and scopes.

My situation is I have an AR15 that I currently run with an Aimpoint T1 red dot.   I've been thinking of getting a scope for it in a LaRue QD Mount so I can switch between the T1 and the scope easily.

I also have been going elk hunting with my father for the past 3 years.  I don't have an elk rifle and just borrow one of my uncles spares but I think I'd rather just get my own.   Since I only do the one elk hunt per year I was looking into something relatively inexpensive like a Tikka T3 in .30-06 which seems like a good budget rifle. 

I'm thinking I want to buy either a Bushnell 4200 or Nikon Monarch 4x16 scope but since I'll have two rifles I was thinking I could just buy the one scope and swap it between the AR15 and Tikka since it'll be on a QD mount.  

The AR would likely see 90% of the shooting time with the scope so I don't really want to buy one just for the Tikka.   It could stay sighted in for my AR and then a couple weeks before elk hunting I'd zero it on the Tikka and set it back for the AR after hunting season is over.

For this to work though I'd need a rail on the Tikka and the only ones that come with picatinny rails are the Tactical and Super Varmint which I don't think come in .30-06 (as well as being more then the $550 or so I wanted to spend on the rifle...i need to keep the whole project around $1200 or so).   Just wondering if there was a rock solid way to get a picatinny rail on a standard T3.   I've seen some aftermarket rail pieces but want to know that they're quality equipment.

Anyway sorry again if this is a dumb question...thanks.
luckystrike View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luckystrike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2010 at 20:07
whoops just realized this is probably in the wrong subforum....could a mod please move this to the appropriate oen
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2010 at 21:25
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2010 at 18:38
Good choice on the EGW there is also this one.
Burris Xtreme Tactical 2 Piece Base Burris Xtreme Tactical 2 Piece Base
Stock # - 410630
  • Tikka
  • Matte
$17.95
I suspect that in the long run this will be a less than satisfactory arrangement and over time you will want to have a seperate dedicated optic for each rifle. I would prefer to use talley lightweight one piece ringmounts on the tikka.  The issue that will cause you the most problem will be the difference in height that is correct for each rifle. One could use a talley low ringmount and a 42 mm scope on the tikka but when you add the height of the picatinny rail no matter how low of rings you use you will still have the scope up higher above the bore.   At the same time any ultra high ringmount or ring suitable for the AR will be a problem on the tikka.  The 30-06 is a fine caliber and my son has a tikka in 30-06. I have a tikka in 300 WSM.  I prefer the 300 Win Mag and 300 WSM but Im a big guy so the recoil doesnt effect me as much as it would some people.  I also reload so the price of the 300WSM ammo isnt as much of an issue.  I would rather see you pick a caliber that you would shoot occasionally all year around even if it was 243 or a 7mm08 that you use to bust coyotes than one you will only shoot right before its time to go hunt which I tend to think of as a recipe for failure as invariably somehting goes wrong at the last minute.
http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-3-9x42-Tactical-Riflescope-P41044.aspx  This is the scope that I would recommend if you want to switch one back and forth.  If you are willing to put a scope on the Tikka and leave it there for a hunting rig I like this one:
or

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - May/24/2010 at 18:41

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
vgmhunor View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vgmhunor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2010 at 06:04
If I were you, I'd buy a Sako A7 for $564. Gunbroker has the 30-06 and 270 at this special price. The A7 comes with fractory installed two-piece Picatinny base. I own both, Tikka and Sako, I'd pick the latter one.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic