OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Bushnell 6500 series scopes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote okc4956 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bushnell 6500 series scopes
    Posted: May/23/2010 at 13:33

Does anybody know anything about these scopes? They look like they could be a good value if the quality is there. I'm thinking about the 4.5 x 30 with either the mil-dot or DOA reticle.

I'm looking for a scope for long to medium range varmint hunting on a 25-06. It's a med hvy bbl Savage so it will be mostly set up and call sort of hunthing. Possibly some long shots as I'll be hunting fairly open country.

Anybody got any experience, either good or bad?

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2010 at 11:05
The Elite 6500 is the top of the line for Bushnell.  Good glass for sure.  Comes with a rainguard lens coating that may or may not mean a thing to you if you dont' hunt in all types of weather.  Only downside they have IMO is the limited internal elevation adjustment.  Good luck and I am sure others with a lot, and I do mean a lot, more knowledge will chime in soon. Are you set on bushnell?  do you have a price point you wanna stay under?  We can recommend stuff based on what you want to spend that woudl suit you best.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
okc4956 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote okc4956 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2010 at 12:50
I'm not really set on just Bushnell, but I'm just curious. I like the low end range of 4.5 and then being able to power up to 30x for long shots. I just don't know if the 30x would really be usable. That is what I'm most curious about.

I realize for the price I could get a darn good Zeiss or something similar, but the optical zoom range and reticle have really got me interested in one of these. I can't seem to locate one in a store I can take outside and look thru tho.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2010 at 12:56
If you call and talk to SWFA, normally one of the sales folks will pull one off the shelf and actually look through it for you and give you a very honest opinion.  Christopher or Brady have always done this for me and I trust them to tell the truth, not to make a sale.  I would do that and see what they say about the usability of it at max magnification.  It would be a good start to know weither to spend more time looking for one or if it'd be a total bust. 
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
okc4956 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote okc4956 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2010 at 13:04
I might give that a try. I think they'll let you return it also if you really can't stand it. I seldom return stuff like that tho. I bet I'd end up keeping it and trying it anyway. It would probably be worth my time to drive down there. It's about 4 hrs from where I live. Be a good excuse to stop by Cabela's in Ft Worth too...Wink
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2010 at 13:14
oh yeah if you can go to SWFA your a lucky guy... you can try it all out there.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic