OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Scope for a Remington 700 5R MILSPEC in .300 WM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for a Remington 700 5R MILSPEC in .300 WM

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmraptor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for a Remington 700 5R MILSPEC in .300 WM
    Posted: May/20/2010 at 12:52
Hey everyone!

After being a Marine for 11 years and always knowing I was getting the best scopes for a rifle, having to figure it out on my own is not as simple Big Smile So anyone who can help me out here would be most appreciated!

I'm looking to stay somewhere in the 400 to 700 dollar range and possible a 5 power scope, probably a stretch, but you never know. Being a milspec rifle, I want to be able to put its abilities to use as much as possible for my budget. Please help! Thanks ahead of time for your input.
Never run from a Sniper, you'll only die tired!
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2010 at 13:09
I would look hard at the SWFA Super Sniper 3x9x40 
SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical Riflescope Mil-Dot SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical Riflescope
Stock # - SS39X42
  • Matte
  • First Focal Plane Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • OK for .50 cal
  • 0.1 MRAD
$599.95 

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-3-9x42-Tactical-Riflescope-P41044.aspx
Its in your price range and the turrets match the reticle.   Its hell'ova tough scope and I think you'd be happy.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2010 at 13:37
 WELCOME to OT,cm!   And THANK YOU for your service and sacrifice.

+1 to G's post above.  Although that scope hasn't been out all that long,owners are already saying you'd have pay ALOT more to get a scope that equals this one.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2010 at 04:20
    First off,Thanks for your service...Welcome to the board...I have the same 5R  in .308,I've have it for 2 yrs now & I have to say it's the best shooter out of the box I've ever owned.
     These are the scopes I've had on her:Bushnell Elite 2.5-16x50 mildot,Zeiss 3.5-10x50 #4 & now my new joy Minox Z5 4-20x50 with a BDC set up for .308,the glass is every bit as good as my conquest,the magnification box & turrets are hands down better, it even comes with a scope coat!
      Of all these scopes I would still take my SWFA SSHD over the rest,but that is a fixed 10X.Remember that the SS does focus down to 33'with no problems.
       All the above are great,all are within the $700 range.Also you might try going to the SWFA sample list,over the years I've gotten several good deals!Let us know how you did,again welcome.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2010 at 04:25
PS: Forgot to mention I use only Tally rings,they work very well with my 3 Rem 700's rifles!
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2010 at 04:44
Welcome to Optics Talk.
Thank you and may God bless you for your service to our nation.

What are looking to shoot with this rifle and at what distances? 
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2010 at 06:59
Welcome to OT, Raptor, and thank you for your service, sir!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
rmraptor View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmraptor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2010 at 07:48
First off, thank you everyone for your gratitude! I am proud to serve this great Nation and all it's great Americans (Namely, everyone in this forum! Cheers)
Second, thanks for the welcome! My friend told me this was the best forum to come to and so far, in only a day, all of you have proven him right!

And last, to answer cheaptrick, I'd like to test the distance ability of this rifle. So far, the longest range i've found in FL is a 200yd, but in the Jacksonville area, I'm sure I can find an open enough and unoccupied area to put it through the ringer and try precision shooting past 500yds. Eventually I'd like to get into competition shooting, but for the most part, I just don't want to lose my edge. If only I had the funds, I'd just get the good ol Schmidt & Bender that was mounted on my M-40A3. It's only around $3000! Thanks for all the feedback so far, all these scopes look promising. Please keep the info coming. HOOORAH!
Never run from a Sniper, you'll only die tired!
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2010 at 11:28
Welcome Sir. It's our privilege to have you aboard. 
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
hunterwingler View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2010 at 11:48
well think everybody else has coved what u should be looking @ so I'll just welcome & thank you for your service... (go with the super sniper)
I wasn't upset about the black cat crossing my path this morning but mouthing "your fu@#ed" as he passed was just rude.

If Guns kill people mine are all defective
SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2010 at 13:46
Welcome Raptor and thanks for your service.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2010 at 14:46
If I had a Remmy R5  it would probably be teamed with the scope below (unless SS comes out with a 4-14 or greater). I know it's $100.00 more than your budget...

SWFA SS 10x42 Tactical   Riflescope Mil-Dot SWFA SS 10x42 Tactical Riflescope
Stock # - SS10X42HD
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Rear Focus
  • OK for .50 cal
  • .10 Mrad
  • HD Model

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-10x42-Tactical-Riflescope-P42527.aspx

Edited by mike650 - May/23/2010 at 16:30
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2010 at 14:51
 What's 100 bucks?!?!  Whistling
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
OldEyes View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldEyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2010 at 15:00
Welcome buddy!
If you are going to do any hunting you might want to look at a variable power scope.  Glad you joined the forum.   Salute

Butt Kick
Guns don't kill people,   Bullets do
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2010 at 15:11
Originally posted by bugsNbows bugsNbows wrote:

Welcome Sir. It's our privilege to have you aboard. 

+2!!! thanks again for protecting my family.Salute
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2010 at 21:41
YippeeWhat' 100 bucks? It's my dream to have them in my back yard come opening day [:}
doublechaz View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doublechaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2010 at 23:41
I have the SS 10x42hd mike660 refers to.  I love it.  It is a great deal.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2010 at 07:20
Thunbs   Up

...and perfect for the R5 (which IMHO is more of a tactical rifle than a hunting rifle). Big Smile
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2010 at 11:21
Originally posted by rmraptor rmraptor wrote:

Hey everyone!

After being a Marine for 11 years and always knowing I was getting the best scopes for a rifle, having to figure it out on my own is not as simple Big Smile So anyone who can help me out here would be most appreciated!

I'm looking to stay somewhere in the 400 to 700 dollar range and possible a 5 power scope, probably a stretch, but you never know. Being a milspec rifle, I want to be able to put its abilities to use as much as possible for my budget. Please help! Thanks ahead of time for your input.

1.  You aren't a Marine any more? 

2.  Do you want a 5X scope?

3.  What were the S&Bs you shot on your M40A3?

And welcome.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2010 at 11:25
I'll go get some whiskey, and hope a replay of Sniper23 isn't about to ensue.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic