OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

CMR14X24

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2010 at 18:36
Chris, if we had bet you'd have won. The biggest coon found the way, he climbed the barn post and jumped/dropped onto the platform. Now the post is covered with a metal sheet so unless he knows how to glide he's got his work cut out for him. Truth be told more power to him, I'v grown fond of this critter.

Shot the LMT/Leatherwood combo once more today, getting to realy like this rig. And love the way one can zero the knobs after setting the right azimuth/elevation. Simply unscrew/remove the knobs, zero the wheels, and re-install the knobs. Haven't looked into it but can the SS be zeroed this way?
GriswoldGuns View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GriswoldGuns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2010 at 16:28
Yay I am late to another thread... Thank you for the review, I am very interested in that same scope.  Magpul makes rails for the MOE handgaurds in 3 or 4 lengths and at various prices, I have two of the 5" sections on mine (longest available) they were ~$8 per and are solid and made of Polymer.  Not sure if a laser will hold a zero on these, but at short ranges, I imagine you will be close enough to hit a coon. 
Climb to Glory
I carry a .45 because having to shoot twice is just silly
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GriswoldGuns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2010 at 16:30
Dang it, I forgot to ask if at 1x you can shoot with both eyes open?
Climb to Glory
gcp View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2010 at 20:57
Thank you for the mounting info GriswoldGuns, I did exactly that a couple f weeks back. Moved the reddot/laser combo scope onto my AR-15 pistol and mounted the laser/flashlight on the magpul hand grip. There's a bit of play on the hand grip but for close distances it makes no difference. I'll shoot it more this weekend at dusk to see how well it functions.

BTW, the CMR shoots well at 1x with both eyes open! I realy like this scope and for the money I'd jump on it if I were you. I'd buy a second but don't know where I'd mount it as it's pretty much 223/7.62 specific. Thumbs up on this product!!
gcp View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2010 at 21:04
Second pic of setup.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GriswoldGuns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/15/2010 at 07:38
Awsome! thanks.  What mount is the scope sitting in?
Climb to Glory
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GriswoldGuns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/15/2010 at 08:51
and will it clear a BUIS on the rifle? mine is ~.50 inches in the folded
Climb to Glory
c5_nc View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c5_nc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/15/2010 at 09:18
I bought one of these several weeks ago and I am really impressed overall.  Taking it out of the box and looking through I was very concerned as the eye box/relief is awefull.  I had considered not attempting to mount it and just send it back.  After mounting it was not really a big of an issue.  The eye relief is fairly short, you have almost no room to move to move left and right, eye can not more forward or backward more than .25" form the ideal spot.  This is even on 1x where on most scopes you can move several inches or more.  After getting it mounted in perfect spot and going from low ready to on target and practicing I could on target about the same as with a red dot sight (which is good news).  The reticle design is perfect.  If your using light during daytime the light is completely washed out in full sun, the black donut is still easy to pick up.  I could see problem if other people need to use the firearm and there stance is different.
3PERCENTER View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3PERCENTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2010 at 13:58

I got my CMR a few weeks ago and it improved my 5 shot groups @ 100 yards from 5.5" using my Bushnell Holosight (which the center dot covered about 3" of the bull’s-eye) to 2" groups (I think the center dot on the CMR only covers about 1" of the bull’s-eye) so it definitely gave me a big improvement. I have a Vortex Crossfire 6-24X50 coming at the end of the month and I hope this tightens my groups up even more at 100 yards and give me more precision at longer distances.

I am only used to cheap scopes so I cannot comment on how it compares to more expensive scopes but I was impressed with the clarity, strength and features (ZRO-Lock and laser etched crosshairs). I would think that this scope is a great all-around scope that gives you just what is advertised, a heavy-duty scope for close to medium (200-300 yards) range applications. I have never had a scope with MIL or MOA marks, so I am just learning how to range using these kinds of features and this scope looks to make this transition fun and easy since the ZRO-Lock feature lets you dial in the adjustments, assuming you calculated range and windage correctly. I haven’t had a chance to test this feature yet but I will report back to let you know if it really returns to zero after dialing in an adjustment when I get the chance. Certainly having this ZRO-Lock feature work as advertised should be critical to anyone’s purchasing decision, has anyone given this feature a good test yet?

I can’t comment on the battery life yet but it was nice that it came with two batteries, it only takes one, the other was the spare.

I paired this CMR with the Burris PEPR and it seems to be a match made in heaven. I think it places the scope a little higher than other one-piece mounts but I think that this is a sacrifice that actually enhances the intended close to medium range purpose for this scope and that is that it helps you maintain a more natural head position when walking around while aiming, you don't have to crook your neck as much when using it this way. For my Vortex I’m ordering another Burris PEPR mount since it is coming with a 1" tube, although I am still debating whether I should get something different to drop the 50mm lens down to about 1/4 inch from the rail since the Burris will put it slightly over 1/2 inch from the rail and on a longer range set-up, what do you guys think? It looks like all offset one-piece mounts put the center of the scope about 1.5 inches above the rail, is this what I want for the 6-24X50mm vortex?

My only complaint was when I was trying to figure out the ZRO-Lock feature I took the lock-screws all the way out and popped off the cap and the O-ring that was underneath was broken, and I am pretty sure that it was already broken before I took the cap off because it looked like it had cut marks from when it was initially put on, I don't think taking it off would cause these cuts since the inside of the cap is slick and had no edges to mar the O-ring the way it was. It didn't affect the function at all and I might just go to the hardware store to buy a comparable replacement since it looks like cheap rubber anyway and I don’t want to send it back just to get an O-ring replaced. If they want me to send it in to replace it, I think I will just get my own.

gcp View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2010 at 18:01
GriswoldGuns, sorry I missed your question, the scope mount is a CAA.

gcp View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2010 at 18:04
and you can't have a BUIS and scope, so I removed mine and stashed it in case I have a need for it in the future.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GriswoldGuns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2010 at 10:13
Does the front sight show up in your sight picture through the scope at any power settings?

A guy with some good knowledge of leatherwood said it should clear the buis in a PEPR mount
Climb to Glory
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2010 at 10:59
A pepr mount will not put it above the fixed or folded up front sight.  You will see it easily at 1 and 2x.  At 3x and 4x it will start to focus past it but you will still see a dark spot in your glass.  It is this way with any scope.  That is why you get a fold down front sight.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GriswoldGuns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2010 at 16:44
how much will the front sight obscure the scope, like 1/3 or so? If  the scope reticle is visable above the front sight at 1x  I could live with that, at least until I can sell enough of my organs to add a folding front to the rifle...

Maybe if i put on a high riser then mount the PEPR on top of that.... or should i just go with 2 high risers to be safe? Then I would have to find a good place to apply the duct tape to complete the lookBucky
Climb to Glory
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2010 at 16:50
Putting high risers on there will create another problem.  It would be like mounting a scope ontop a carry handle, it destroys any kind of possible cheek weld. 

You will definitely see the sight a lot.  With my Trijicon 1-4x and a fold down front sight I can still see it at 1x even though it is folded down.  It is just in the very bottom of the scope but I can see it.

Just buy a folddown with the money you would spend on risers.  http://yankeehillmachine.com/store/product413.html They bolt on, and the originals are just held on with two pins.  It is really easy to change them.  They have videos on Brownells website on how to do it. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
gcp View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2010 at 18:59
At 1X you'll see the front sight but beyond it's hardly noticable. I am very pick and it doesn't bother me at all. I still love this scope and for the money it's a no brainer!!
gcp
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GriswoldGuns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2010 at 06:49
the high risers were a joke...

Anyone know of a front folder with the H&K style hood and post? IMHO those are the best front sight design around. thx
Climb to Glory
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GriswoldGuns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2010 at 07:13
Nevermind about the hooded sight, found ONE. PRI ~$200
By the time I am done making this project how I want it, I might as well buy another upper >_<
Climb to Glory
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic