OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

CMR14X24

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2010 at 21:04

Dusk visibility, even at dark 30, is very good, as good as my naked eye. Only imperfection I've noticed is from the 5-11 settings there appears to be the ever slightest green reflection at about 10 o'clock in the glass. Nothing that'll annoy me and I'm one perfectionist.

As far as I’m concerned it’s certainly thumbs up for this scope, and at this price it’s a no brainer.

angryguns View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angryguns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2010 at 07:55

I was thinking about ordering that scope , thanks for doing a little review on it. I'm looking forward to the range review. By the way, i was wondering way you were using see-through scope ring (are you using an A-2 front sight post)?

Skunk View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2010 at 10:39
Wowza, do you really mount those things that high and that far back?  I could not even use them in those positions.  Thats just cwazy. 
Let me give you my two scents worth
gcp View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2010 at 12:09
These mounts are what I had available for the pics. But the right size see throughs may become necessary if I am to also mount the laser/flashlight onto the flattop. Wish I could work it to where I could also use the stock sights, as back-ups, but it doesn't appear to be doable. I'll post the final set-up when I'm done.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2010 at 12:21
Optimally the back edge of the eyepiece should be close to even with the charging handle position.  The center of the scope should be at the same level as the iron sights are.  I think you need to forget about the light and if you have to have it get somekind of rail that will mount on your handguard. 

Get a Burris PEPR mount, it will allow you to mount it at the right height, at least for shooting standing up and will allow you to put the scope forward enough. 

With the right fold down sights, I could mount it under this scope/mount combo without much problem.  But since I did not buy a quick release mount, there is not much point.

Edited by supertool73 - May/25/2010 at 12:23
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
gcp View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2010 at 20:10
Forget about the light you say? I am not one to give up but it did take a little bit of scratching and doing to make it all fit and it did Yippee

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2010 at 09:25
Really on any rifle the back of the scope should be real close to being over top of where the top of your hand fits the grip. (unless the scope has excessive eye relief then it may need to be farther forward than that)  The way you have it now, you will have to hold your head way back to be able to shoot it.  You will have to bend your shoulders and neck back instead of leaning into the rifle.  Standing up will be awkward enough, but sitting, prone ,or bench shooting will be very difficult. 

You can see on these rifles how they are mounted.

Just trying to help you out bro.  Thunbs Up

Edited by supertool73 - May/26/2010 at 11:13
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2010 at 09:51
One more question I gotta ask.  How do you plan on turning the light on and off as you are scanning for targets.  It is in a position that cannot be reached by either hand.  For defensive purposes your light should just come on for a few seconds as you scan then it goes off and you move positions.  You need to be able to have quick access to it while still being in position to shoot your rifle.

Down on the handguard makes much more sense.  Or get some kind of  relay push button you can mount on your grip.

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2010 at 09:54
ST you have the coolest toys!
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2010 at 10:47
None of those are mine except that extremely ugly bottom AR.  I just found pics on google images.  

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2010 at 10:55
oh  well either way. lol
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2010 at 11:02
GCP,

Since you have the MOE handguard you can purchase a picanny rail for it, mount it on the bottom of the handguard or the side, then mount your light on the handguard where it will be accessible.  Then you can turn the CAA mount around, remount the scope, and have it set-up as Supertool recommends.  The way you have it set up now will severly limit your shooting.  Just a recommendation, if you like the way you have it, carry on.
JDjesse View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDjesse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2010 at 12:23

Any report from the range yet?  I'm really intersted to see how this thing shoots and holds up.  I was considering purchasing it awhile back to mount on an M1A but was concerned with its durability.  I'm getting itchy to pull the trigger but am also considering the Vortex PST or the SS when it comes out...not sure if I can wait though.

“As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.” (Proverbs 27:17)
gcp View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2010 at 21:01

supertool73, first off thank you for your constructive comments, they are much appreciated. I am sure for battle/SHTF conditions you would be correct but for my own needs the only killing I'll do with this rifle, I hope, will be the pesky coons that harass my barn cat. So, now you know my need for a flashlight and laser both of which can be turned on before I exit the house.

as sport, I will also be shooting mostly bench rest at the 150 yard range at my property so I'd rather not have the SIG flashlight/laser under the hand guard because it’ll most likely be in my way. But I will investigate if a MOP side rail exists that’ll provide for a better rifle fit and better control access. BTW I can turn on my flash/strobe light and/or laser, as it's mounted now, with my right hand, without any problem. Again, I am not arguing the validity of your statements it’s just that my own needs are somewhat different than your orthodox ways.

JDjesse, I plan to shoot my LMT this weekend so I'll report back on how the CMR fairs. Looking very much forward to ringing it out but I must restate that so far I am positively impressed.

gcp View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2010 at 21:03
cpwomack, thank you, I'll investigate.
gcp View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2010 at 14:20

Zeroed ar 25 yards and shot 10 rounds later all I can see is one dime size hole, where are the rest of my rounds going?Big SmileBig Smile

So far the scope is flawless but it's hot so when the sun goes down a bit I'll do the 150 yard shoot.
gcp View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2010 at 06:47

Foks, since I took the pic I moved the scope as far forward as it'll go and it now fits me to a T but the jury's still out on the Leatherwood scope. I was all over the place with it at 150 yards, due to use of the black dot and probably my eyes. I now know I much prefer crosshairs for accuracy but to be fair I'll give it another more concentrated go today.

One thing I didn't like about it is that even at full setting, at daylight hours the greendot disappears so it's useless with the sun plus the green horseshoe/circle around the dot does not appear to be the same diameter and/or intensity all around which is a bit annoying.
gcp View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2010 at 06:47

Friends, yesterday evening I shot a bit more and obviously I am the weak link of this package. One can't do heavy lifting around the property all day long and expect to shoot well in the evening, I guess, but I had to cut/haul off trees and build this feeding platform for my barn cat. It was either that or kill the coon family of 5 that eat all of Nikos' food and leave him starving all week long.

Niko does appear to be happy now, it's amazing what a full belly wil do :lol:

But back to the main point of interest, this 1x4 tactical scope is more than decent for the money and would have no resevations in recommending it as a viable alternative to the high $ tacticals out there. Other than the the green horseshoe non-uniformity and the green dot not showing up, at full sun, all else is spot on! Now lets see how well it holds up.

Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2010 at 18:08
I betcha the coons still get to Niko's food.  They are very sneaky and clever.  You should see them work over a deer feeder.  If it was not for trail cam pics I would never believe some of the things they can do.

This one is using the pig as a step ladder.

This one shimmied up one of the poles and is spinning the dispenser with his hand.

gcp View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2010 at 22:03

I was told that coons can't jump, kinda like white men Big Smile so I built a 5 foot tall tin scirted platform which I figured they would not clear. But don't you believe it non because I have 2 of them on video taking approx, 4 foot leaps from a saw horse to barely hang on to the wooden platform, with their front paws, and then pulling themselves up to dinner. My wife and I sat there in amazement watching it all after the fact. So I removed the saw horse and tested Nikos ability to jump from the ground. I am happy to report that he too is no white man cause he jumps up & down the feeder like he's jumping onto the sidewalk.

But I am amazed that this wild hog would allow such liberties from a coon, goes to show you that teamwork's not reserved for humans alone. I have a pic of what a 223 round will do on a coon but it goes against the rules of this forum so I'll not post it.

Now lets talk scope, after this weekend's shoot I removed and properly re-installed the mount/rings & the CMR and am now looking for the appropriate rail to also mount the SIG flashlight/laser device. I also called to further discuss with John at Leatherwood the minor issue of the green semicircle issue and I must say that he is not only extremely polite but he is also one of the most helpful professionals you'd ever want to deal with. Bottom line, this is a very good scope coupled with very good, honest customer service. Chris, I can see why you guys were impressed.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic