OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Question on how FoV is calculated

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpcollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question on how FoV is calculated
    Posted: May/18/2010 at 15:35
I was looking thru my binocs today and noticed something so I made a test.  So I rested them on a stepladder , closed my right eye and saw a specific width on a building with my left eye. Then I closed my left eye and did the same thing with my right eye. I saw the same amount of width but a different portion of the building - a few feet further to the right than the view I saw with my left eye. When I looked with both eyes, I saw the "combined" width of the two singular views - and I never moved them while on the ladder.

My Zeiss is rated at 405' at 1000 yards - is this with one side or the combined view of both sides? Thanks. 

Edited by tpcollins - May/18/2010 at 15:37
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2010 at 15:44
If the FOV is rated at 405 @ 1000, then it should be ~ 40% of whatever distance you are from an object being viewed. Maybe you could measure 40 feet on the side of a building and then measure a distance 100 feet away. That would give you an empirical answer.
Reaction time is a factor...
tpcollins View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpcollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2010 at 16:26
My math works out a bit less than 40%.  1000 yards is 3000 feet - 405' / 3000' = 13.5%.  Or am I missing something?
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 22:28
You're quite right. My mistake...I completely glossed over the yards vs. feet aspect of it. So 13.5:100 units of whatever is your ratio. 
Reaction time is a factor...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic