OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

most scope for the money

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2010 at 18:31
 "midgets"?!?!

Now nb,this a VERY PC forum. Around here they're called "vertically challanged".       Whistling
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2010 at 18:36
That's right we are.... we have the folically challenged, the financialy challenged, Intellectually challenged, Vernacular challenged, Hell everyone here is challenged in one way or another.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2010 at 18:56
Personally I would take the 3-9 Super Sniper over all of the other choices as a large game  hunting scope even though it is not designed as such. I like to dial in correction for trajectory compensation and even if I didnt it is the only one of the group that has a reticle that can be used for hold over at any power.  Most balistic reticles are second focal plane and work for hold over at only the highest power.  The 3-9x42 Super Sniper is first focal plane and the reticle appears to grow from smaller at low powers to larger at higher powers but this makes the mil dots always stay one mil apart at what ever power you are using.  Since you will make your balistic chart in tenth mils for trajectory http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmtraj-5.1.cgi  you will know that if some distance is say  300 yds  2.5 mils of drop that you have two ways that you can correct you can either hold over using the mildots  half way between the second and third dot or you can dial in the clicks on the tactical knobs.   I have two of these 3-9x42 Super Sniper scopes and both are on 300 WM hunting rifles however you should consider that the reticle at the low end 3x is quite fine and small in appearance and in low light probably not as rapidly acquired as the other models mentioned however this changes as power is increased and it is quite suitable for fairly low light at 6x where I like to be.     I will also suggest that there are some other scopes that I would strongly recommend that are not on your list. 

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - May/20/2010 at 19:30

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Sgt. D View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2010 at 19:35
Originally posted by cowski cowski wrote:

p s with current equipment i make shots up to 425 yds ,with a target knob or holdover reticle i may make it too 500.it would increase my percentage on 350 +. thanks again.

+1

The team has laided it out nice and clear. But ofcourse I have to agree, I've learned 90% of what I know about scopes from them. I only chim in to second your thoughts on the SS. Target knobs take away most of any guess work when coupled with a range finder. When shooting beyond 400yds. dialing to distance gives the best ethical possibilities. Obviously we don't want to simply "HIT" the animal, we what to make a clean kill. The added plus is you get equally good glass for the money. I will likely get a SS for my next mid-range scope. Let us know what you do and post some pics if you can.
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2010 at 20:59
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

"while true on paper, the fact is that if you use proper technique the 4200 is fine even on hard kickers"

"but lacks the eye relief if used on a HARD kicker"  I shoulda added "in some odd shooting positions you may encounter while hunting."

that i wont argue with that at all, i hope it works out on my .300wby, if not i guess i will have to get a zeiss.Wink

Edited by pyro6999 - May/20/2010 at 20:59
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
vgmhunor View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vgmhunor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2010 at 18:47
Zeiss Conquests to my eyes feel like a comfortable pair of shoes on my feet. It's hard to describe what it is, you just know it. The #20 reticle is one of the best, most versatile I have ever seen on a mid priced scope. Having said that I still own more Nikons than Zeisses-the reason is price.
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2010 at 18:16
+1 for Conquest
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2010 at 18:21
 +2   Even though I recently got my 4X at a close out price it would still be worth it at the std price. 
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
cowski View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2010 at 23:08
i got the conquest. for me it is the most scope for the money.target knobs can be added if needed.thanks for all the response.Howdy
never corner something meaner than you are jbc
1911man View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1911man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2010 at 11:27
Bushnell 4200 Elite 3-9x40 or Nikon Primos 3-9x40 are the most scope for the money that I'm aware of............
Bill Wilson
www.wilsoncombat.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic