OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

most scope for the money

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: most scope for the money
    Posted: May/18/2010 at 08:52
nikon primos 3x9 for 199.95,bushnell elite 2.5 x10x40 for 299.95,zeiss conquest 3x9 x40 for 399.95,super sniper 3x9 for 599.95 and kahles cl 3x9x42 for 599.99 which is the most scope for the money? also which is the best?
never corner something meaner than you are jbc
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2010 at 09:22
Just on quality of the glass your list looks OK. As for best, it will depend on what style of shooting are you doing? Most of the scopes here do a similar job with the exception of the Super Sniper. It has a lot of additional features FFP, MIL/MIL, Exposed dials and heavy duty, just to name a few of the extra features. The use of the tool usually decides which tool to use.  List could be made that would put each of these scopes as best for the use and conditions.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2010 at 09:30
Value wise   look at the 3x9 4200 Elite for low to mid $200 range
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2010 at 09:31
Need to know the purpose before you can say the best of your list...  Like 3_tens said. it will make a difference.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
cowski View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2010 at 09:54
i am buying this scope for hunting . i am mostly concerned with glass quality and being dependable .but having target knob or holder over reticle would be a plus.so is a elite worth a 100 over a primos ,is a conquest worth a 100 over a elite and so on.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2010 at 09:58
for a hunting scope a bushnell elite is nice simply because of the rainguard feature
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2010 at 12:10
 Don't know about the Elite over the Primos but the many comparisons going around say the Elite is REAL CLOSE in overall performance to the Conquest but lacks the eye relief if used on a HARD kicker.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2010 at 16:56
As much as I dislike the BDC reticle in the Nikon, I still believe it offers the best value per dollar spent.  That being said, I personally would choose the Conquest, but it's your money and your decision.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2010 at 17:21

Hey Cowski

What you looking at putting the scope on? and what type of hunting are we talking about? If you drive out to the lease and walk 100-200 yards to a stand by a feeder, the total weight and objective size don't mean as much as to you as the guy who has to hump it through the bush and thickets for a mile or so. 

Of the scopes on your list I've looked through the Bushnell and the Zeiss. The Zeiss to me was clearer and had better eye relief. "$150.00 better, well to me that would have to be a HUGE difference, and it wasn't to me, but I'm a tight wad"

I hunt. I like simple scopes that are clear, easy to use, light weight, and have good light transmission. I pretty much always have to compromise on what I want vs what is practical because I have too many rifles to put great scopes on all of them. Of the scopes I've bought recently, the best buy was the Burris Timberline for $120 "on sale" followed by the Vortex Diamondback for $199. I spent more on a Nikon and a couple of Millets, but felt the best about what I got for what I spent with these.

http://swfa.com/Vortex-4-12x40-Diamondback-Rifle-Scope-P11238.aspx

http://swfa.com/Burris-3-9x32-Timberline-Rifle-Scope-P11002.aspx

Both of those are mounted on guns I'll be carrying into the woods to harvest game. 

If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 07:49
Cowski,

Best optically is Kahles CL.  Close behind is Zeiss Conquest.  SS 3-9X is supposedly in the same class optically as Bushnell Elite, but I haven't used that particular SS for any length of time.  The SS would be the best choice for a tactical rifle or dialing in long range dope, given the mil / mil turrets and reticle.  Primos is perhaps the best value for what you get given the current price, with Bushnell Elite right there with it.

You're likely to be very happy with any you listed.  That's a tough decision, as I could make a compelling case for all of them for one reason or another.  I'm partical to Kahles CL for a pure big game hunting rifle.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 09:47
I think all are the best in their price class for their intended application. You will not touch another tactical scope near the quality of the S.S. for that price. Same can be said for hunting scopes in the price ranges of those you listed. At $200 my opinion is that the Primos is about as good as it gets. As you go up in price, the glass gets a little better, but for a little more money I think the Bushnell is the best in it's price range too. If you pass that, you'd be hard pressed to beat the Conquest at $400 All the scopes you listed are great for their price, and all will probably do the job you ask. Ted pretty much summed up the quality, and I agree with his analysis. You just need to figure out how much you want to spend, and when spending more to get a little more isn't worth it. I draw the line at the Conquest level, but if the budget allows someday, I'd like to own a Kahles. I also own a Primos, and for $200 find it is a great value. It's not a Conquest, but very nice, and half the price.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 09:50
I agree with Ted on this one. He has nailed it. If you are talking about hunting scope I would watch the sample list for a good used Kahles, and get a great bargain in that area. For hunting there really isn't any need for the knobs and reticle of the tactical type scopes. So primarily look at the glass quality, which will be a huge benefit to you during those crucial twilight minutes.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 10:44
What I will say for a quality tactical scope is that they are:

1) Generally built more rugged (but also are heavier) and track better
2) Are good for shots beyond max. point blank range...

...But max. point blank range is plenty for most people (300 yards or more) and certainly more than adequate for ethical shots on game. Despite having switched to tactical scopes, I wouldn't consider a shot over 400 yards and that only on an antelope with a .308. However, I shoot out to 600 or more now and it makes shots under 300 feel much easier.
Reaction time is a factor...
cowski View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 11:03
the scopes listed are what i consider the best buys for a hunting scope today.i know the ss is kind of out of place but i am considering it along with the others.koskin likes the wide field of view it offers i might too.i am mainly going to hunt coyotes with it,on open fields that can reach a half mile wide or a few feet.the coyotes are mostly movin .one thing i would like you too consider is eye placement,i think this is called the eye box,i would  consider the biggest one a plus.sometimes i have to take a snap shot.before i found this site i would have got another leupold.but now i am going to try something different.on the primos ,i have a monarch it is not as forgiving of eye placement or field of view as a leupold.as i have only looked through a 4200 and conquest in the store i have not formulated an opinion.i never have seen a ss.so i am depending on y'all to set me straight . thanks for all replies.
cowski View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 11:08
p s with current equipment i make shots up to 425 yds ,with a target knob or holdover reticle i may make it too 500.it would increase my percentage on 350 +. thanks again.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 11:33
Kahles I believe again has the more forgiving eye box.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Monster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 16:22
For me the super sniper is a little heavy for hunting purposes. I would look into more of the zeiss, kahles, or for a little cheaper route the elite series......
"Get Busy Livin' or get busy dyin'" -Red (Shawshank Redemption)
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 21:21
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

Don't know about the Elite over the Primos but the many comparisons going around say the Elite is REAL CLOSE in overall performance to the Conquest but lacks the eye relief if used on a HARD kicker.

while true on paper, the fact is that if you use proper technique the 4200 is fine even on hard kickers, i had my 3x9 4200 on my .375H&H last season, while i never used it above 6x i never got smacked.

if the conquest had loutec ( zeiss's version of rainguard) i wouldnt buy anything but conquests, optically all three are close, i give the zeiss the nod in low light levels. pretty tough call otherwise heads up.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2010 at 06:51
  "while true on paper, the fact is that if you use proper technique the 4200 is fine even on hard kickers"

"but lacks the eye relief if used on a HARD kicker"  I shoulda added "in some odd shooting positions you may encounter while hunting."

"I ain't got time to bleed!"
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2010 at 16:27
I hear you 300. In January I hunted in a box stand designed by sadistic midgets. You didn't have enough room to change anything more than your mind and managed to shoot out of it. It was UGLY, but I made a clean kill. I didn't get scope ringed, but another couple of mm's less of eye relief and I'd of had the red ring of shame. As it was I got a smudge on my shooting glasses. Sometimes what works on a bench is irrelevant for real world adventures. Big Smile
If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic