OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

help with steiners

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timberaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: help with steiners
    Posted: October/01/2005 at 14:42
 I'm looking at the predator 12x40,although not listed here on swfa,they are around $250.my question is why are they so much cheaper than the other predator models?are they good binos for that much.I will use them for only hunting in very open sagebrush terrain where most animals are seen at 200 yards on average.would this be a good choice as i think i need higher magnification to see horns on the mule deer i'm hunting.our state has a 3 point minimum and my 10x42 burris binos just don't seem to be enough.is there any other binos you could suggest to me that would fit my needs for around $300?
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2005 at 16:19

7, 8, or 10X would be plenty of magnification if you are using quality glass.  If the range is so great that you cannot ID points with these binos, you reqally need a spotting scope.  12X can be a problem for many users to hold steady.  Some 12X designs I can use just fine, others I really need a tripod.  I am guessing that the 12X Predators are probably porro rather roof prism designs.

ranburr 

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2005 at 05:41
The advantages of the 12x40 poro prism bino's are that they are probably the lightest 12x bino's ( approx. 20 oz.). The Predator lens coatings really do work, however, as ranburr stated they are going o be difficult to hold steady. I would use the 8x30 Predators over the 12's any day of the week. Also the 12's have a narrower FOV buy about 100 feet @ 1000 ydrs. than the 8x30 Predators. As far as cost is concerned, it is less expensive to manufacture a poro prism than a roof prism. At 200 ydrs. as, ranburr stated a 7,8 or 10 should be all you need at distances you mentioned. The other Predators's you mentioned are the newer roof prism's ( 8 and 10x42 models) that utilize a much high grade of optical glass and much better coatings that are sandwiched under the Predator coating(s). They are Steiner's top of the line bino's. I don't know how optical glass is rated buy the makers, but, there are about 10 different grades of optical glass. That is a question better suited for Chris, Brady and the rest of the swfa team or buy koshkin or runburr. I own several pair Steiner's,and the 8x42'sSteiner Predator's are my new favorites. They also cost 4x as much as the glasses you mentioned. Remember that a high quality bino is a lifetime investment, so buy the very best bino's you possibly can, even if you have to wait for awhile.

Edited by Roy Finn
timberaxe View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timberaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2005 at 22:12
thanks for the info.I'm going to take roy finns' advice and make an investment in some high quality binos.never thought of it as a lifetime investment until now.once again thanks for the input
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic