OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for a Rem 700 in 7mm mag

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldEyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for a Rem 700 in 7mm mag
    Posted: May/17/2010 at 15:34
I recently purchased an AR-15 in 6.8 SPC and moved my Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40 scope over to it.  Now I need a new scope for my 7mm Magnum.  I usually hunt soybean fields out to 400 yards.  What scope would be good for around $500 and still have good glass for shooting right at dark?  My eyes are getting worse so at least 4-16 power.  I like this forum and look forward to hearing your suggestions.
Guns don't kill people,   Bullets do
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2010 at 16:39
 The Bushnell Elite 4200 series scopes are known for near equaling the performance of scopes costing a good bit more:
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2010 at 17:04

Howdy and Welcome

Lots of good choices in your ball park. 

http://swfa.com/Vortex-65-20x44-Viper-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P10821.aspx

You'd need new rings as it's a 30mm tube, but you can get the scope and rings for less than your upper threshold. 

This one eats up pretty much the entire budget, but you'll not need new rings.

http://swfa.com/Nikon-4-16x42-Monarch-Riflescope-P42332.aspx

Me, I'm pretty tight and would go with one of these. It's smaller and lighter than the others and has good glass. "did I mention it's a lot cheaper too" 

http://swfa.com/Burris-45-14x32-Timberline-Rifle-Scope-P11004.aspx

If I wasn't cheap I'd grab that Vortex. Thunbs Up

If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
OldEyes View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldEyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2010 at 21:16
I am looking at the http://swfa.com/Minox-3-15x42-ZA5-Riflescope-P46138.aspx.  I have not looked through one but their Binoculars are pretty clear.  How does it compare to the ones mentioned above?
Guns don't kill people,   Bullets do
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2010 at 21:27

Haven't had the opportunity to look through the Minox. Ilya would likely be your best source of information on them. 

The 4200 Suggested is also a fine hunting rifle scope. 

If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2010 at 22:35
Originally posted by OldEyes OldEyes wrote:

I am looking at the http://swfa.com/Minox-3-15x42-ZA5-Riflescope-P46138.aspx.  I have not looked through one but their Binoculars are pretty clear.  How does it compare to the ones mentioned above?

the way i understand it, you are looking at zeiss conquest quality, at the very least. so its a decent scope no doubt.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2010 at 23:04
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

The Bushnell Elite 4200 series scopes are known for near equaling the performance of scopes costing a good bit more:
I like this scope very well I had the older model and recently bought the new model with side focus and 1/4 moa clicks.  The knobs are ok to dial in correction with and Im pretty sure you can get custom engraved Kenton Ind  knobs for it to correct for distance.  Other than that I really like the  3-9x42 Super Sniper wiht mil mil FFP and while it doesnt have as much power on the high end as you are wanting it is a really good scope for the money.  One other scope you should consider if you can afford it is the Trijicon Accupoint 5-20x50 it is the ultimate low light scope.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic