OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Minox scope review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skywalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Minox scope review
    Posted: May/17/2010 at 08:59
Koshkin,
Had a chance to try this out?  I have a z5 that I am messing with some...so far, I like it pretty good for the $.  Thoughts?
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2010 at 18:14
I'm in the same situation,love the glass!
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Oldtrader3 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldtrader3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2010 at 23:46
I have a ZA-5 2-10x40 BDC that I bought a couple months ago.  Optically, the scope stacks up well against the Conquest for generally less money than the Conquest higher power models (above 3-9x40).  I have it mounted on a very accurate Model 70, Super Grade, Pre 64, .270 Winchester.  I have taken this rifle to the range 3 times since I mounted the ZA-5 Minox scope.  I have been very impressed, so far, with groups just over 1 inch at 200 yards from benchrest.  This is about the capability of the rifle for accuracy and the Minox is delivering it well with high resolution and contrast.

Edited by Oldtrader3 - August/14/2010 at 23:47
CDR3
Cat Power View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cat Power Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2010 at 07:55
I have 2 of the ZA-3 models (one with each reticle).  I love the glass, and really like the way they look on a rifle. Eye relief is fantastic too
Bboy623 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bboy623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2010 at 12:51
Slightly off topic---I know the Minox uses Schotts glass. What does the Conquest use?---Bboy623
I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6!
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldtrader3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2010 at 13:47
Schott Glass is a division of Zeiss Industries.  I have heard that the Conquest uses Schott Glass fabricated in the Czech Republic to make it cheaper than German fabricated Schott Glass.  It still is Schott Glass in the Conquest but is it the same standard glass as the Master Race made glass?  That is the issue.

I am crious though.  If the Minox is such a good scope, why is SWFA selling all these scopes for about $100 less than retail?  Are they show demos or something?

Edited by Oldtrader3 - August/15/2010 at 13:49
CDR3
Bboy623 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bboy623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2010 at 14:21
Oldtrader----volume buying? Introduce to the US market? SWFA just making less profit? There could be a 1000 reasons. Thanks for the info on the zeiss glass.--Bboy623
I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6!
Ben D. View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2010 at 15:46
There is a huge confusion. Schott is not a division of Zeiss. Shott is the most famous optical glass company, but they don't design the optical system of a riflescope and they don't manufacture the lenses. More, japanese optical glass is also a very good glass.  If a riflescope has a good image, it means that  the optical system is masterly designed. The optical design of Zeiss products is good because they have a long tradition and very good engineers.
Minox collaborate for optical design and lens manufacture with asian companies, this  is the reason for the lower price.
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldtrader3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2010 at 21:39
Originally posted by Ben D. Ben D. wrote:

There is a huge confusion. Schott is not a division of Zeiss. Shott is the most famous optical glass company, but they don't design the optical system of a riflescope and they don't manufacture the lenses.
Minox collaborate for optical design and lens manufacture with asian companies, this  is the reason for the lower price.
Check your sources but the above statement about Schott is not correct.  Minox claims and reclaims that they have only Schott glass lenses in their scopes.  I don't know about other products which may have Asian glass in them.  Additionally, Schott is part of the Zeiss Consortium and is controlled by the same BOD as Zeiss is.  Schott is a sister division to Zeiss.

Schott makes glass for Minox, probably cast lens (oversized) slugs for grinding.  I did not say that Schott makes the glass, Minox does not.  Why would a European company that uses German and Czech origin glass cooperate for design and manufacture with Asian optical companies who are competitors?  This scope product is fabricated in the US!  What you say does not make sense.  What are your sources for these statements?

Edited by Oldtrader3 - August/15/2010 at 21:49
CDR3
Ben D. View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2010 at 21:52
Schott glass, is the lenses material, but the optical design is not Schott or Zeiss.
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldtrader3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2010 at 22:58
Originally posted by Ben D. Ben D. wrote:

Schott glass, is the lenses material, but the optical design is not Schott or Zeiss.
Might it be Minox design??????
CDR3
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2010 at 00:04
Schott AG (glass manufacturer) is indeed owned by the Carl Zeiss Foundation...

http://www.zeiss.de/c12567a100537ab9/Contents-Frame/6e9948ae4e5f7f3e41256a78004a8537

The glass in Zeiss Conquest scopes is supplied by Meopta.  Meopta may indeed get their raw glass from Schott; I don't know.  If so, it's not surprising.  Many optics have Schott glass, and Schott makes glass of various grades, depending on what the customer orders.  So, the fact an optic has Schott glass doesn't by itself mean that the optic has high end image quality.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2010 at 00:15
First of all, the origin of raw optical glass is easily the least important fact you need to know about the scope.  There are several quality suppliers of raw glass and as long as it is made to spec, it makes no difference where it came from.

On Minox scopes, I reviewed a 3-9x40 ZA-3 a little while back and liked it quite a bit.  I have not yet reviewed any models with 5x erector.

ILya
ICanSeeYou View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICanSeeYou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2015 at 02:28

I have a Minox ZA 5 HD 1.2-6X24 coming in. I'll give a brief review when it arrives.

My old Kahles Helia Super S6 is my standard by which I approve of glass quality. The vintage Kahles is just downright amazing in light gathering clarity.

When you're playing with me, you're playing for keeps.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic