OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > The Range Report
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Bud's 300WM

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bud's 300WM
    Posted: May/16/2010 at 21:14
Well 3rd trip to the range with the new SAvage LRH in 300WM.  SHe is definitely a shooter.  I have just scratched the surface on dialing in loads.  So far SHe doesn't seem to be overly peticular about what I feed her and I wouldn't hesitate to take her hunting now.  However I know with some work i'll have multiple loads that will make me proud!  We just a little playinmg I quickly determined that  she like Varget in  the 57gr range for 165-8gr pills and also likes 70.5gr of H4831SC and 208Gr AMAXs.  Still have several other weightsa and couple of powders to try. I also have only been using standard COAL and yet to tune teh length for accuracy.  Below are the 2 best groups of teh day.  I am still fighting / getting used to the kick.
Dispite fighting a bit of a flinch I am very happy with the results!
                                       300WM 168Gr Nosler HP  57.0gr Varget

208Gr AMAX  70.5gr H4831SC
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2010 at 21:16
if you had a lead sled bud you wouldnt notice the recoil.

good shooting though.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2010 at 21:21
Nice shooting sir!!!  Cheers
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2010 at 22:42

very Nice Bud   Smoking

trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2010 at 22:52
Another Savage that's a great shooter. Imagine that. Seems I've heard about one or two that'll shoot.

Nice work Bud. Can't wait to see how it does when you get her dialed in. Do you know how fast it'll push a 208 A-Max?

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2010 at 22:59
2700-2800ish i'd guess
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2010 at 23:06
Good going Bud. Savages are known to be more accurate than their owners. With some work you may be able to keep up with her.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2010 at 06:23
I'm loving it!  Took my budy and old boss from my last job and his Remmy 788 in 308.  He's starting to get the hang of it and has pulled he groups in from 3+ MOA to about 2 MOA.  I've shot the 788 and she kicks more than my 300WM with the break turned on.  He was starting to get a sore shoulder after 25 rounds cause his hold is a little loose.  I put him on my 223 and he wouldn't give it back! LOL  Coached him a bit and he was shooting 1 to 1.5 MOA in no time with a couple of dead centers that tickled him pink!  He's hook boys!  Started asking a bazillion questions about the 223 and how cheap he could find a new 223 with varmint barrel.  I used  to call him the frugle millionaire before his wife's 'Curves" tanked and he put two daughters thru 4 year college.  I'm pretty sure we can ad another gun person to the ranks very shortly!

Unfortunately I lefgt my tripod at work so I had nothing to put my Chrony on.  I learneed the hard way not to just sit it on a table while firing anything more than a 223.  I need to go alone and record data.  Mike is still to green to be much more than a distraction at this point.

I also had a chance to test fire some 75gr AMAX 223 pills that Graham sent me.  Used Varget started at 25gr and worked up to 26.5gr of Varget.  groupings started at 2 MOA and walked in tighter with hotter loads.  At 26.5gr the grouping was right around 1 MOA.  I need that Chrony before I go hotter, also I need to play with seating depth.  Either way it's obvious that she will shoot 75gr pills almost as well as 55gr pills.  Man I am ready to kill something!
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2010 at 07:16
Good shooting bud.  Good to hear about gaining another shooter to the ranks as well.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2010 at 09:09
Nice going. Definately a slayer of deer you have there!!!
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2010 at 21:00
Very nice shooting.  I am a big fan of the 300 WMs.  Great round.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2010 at 03:26
Good going, Bud.
Your the first person I've seen use "Vargay" for a .300 Winny.

Looks like it's working for you!!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2010 at 06:16
i tried varget in my .300 win mag when it first came out, im guessing i should have tried it with lighter bullets, it didnt work so well for me with the 180gr stuff.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2010 at 06:21
Yeah it is a rather fast powder for that application but it was listed in Hornady's 7th edition for bullets weights upto 168gr.  Nice thing is it takes less than 60 grain which is about 85% of the powder weights of other powder loads.  I am so cheap!
--Thomas Jefferson

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2010 at 06:26
i always thought the whole point behind shooting a magnum was to see how much powder you could burn at a time. guess i was wrongBucky
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2010 at 07:12
Shhhhhh don't tell everyone Hunter!
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2010 at 15:34
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

i always thought the whole point behind shooting a magnum was to see how much powder you could burn at a time. guess i was wrongBucky
Yup! put a neck on a can of powder and shove a bullet in there. I think they call that a .458 Lott.Bucky

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2010 at 15:35
Originally posted by trigger29 trigger29 wrote:

Yup! put a neck on a can of powder and shove a bullet in there. I think they call that a .458 Lott.Bucky
     Laugh Above
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2010 at 15:41
Originally posted by cyborg cyborg wrote:

Originally posted by trigger29 trigger29 wrote:

Laugh Above

and thats still not showing pressure signs.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2010 at 15:55
 I can just see Jack Lott beaming with pride.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic