OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Topic ClosedVortex

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vortex
    Posted: May/16/2010 at 19:18

Aimpoint knock off? Goods, bads, uglies?
"keep your booger hook off the bang switch!"
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2010 at 05:44

And now ... just a little “About Us”

The people at Vortex have been in the optics business since 1986 and we’re one of the few family owned and operated US companies left in the industry. We have a staff of about forty dedicated and hard working people who love to come to work and make great things happen for our customers and dealers. All of our products are designed to our own specifications and inspected and serviced at our modern facility located in central Wisconsin.

"I ain't got time to bleed!"
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2010 at 06:02
Vortex is definitely building a reputation of standing behind their product, regardless of the price bracket it falls in. I don't own any of their products, but that's because I can't afford the one I want! 
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2010 at 06:17
i love my viper
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Folically Challenged View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2010 at 07:37
There seems to be a consensus that Vortex offers a lot of scope for the money, and has impeccable customer service.  Most accounts you hear are from people who are surprised at the value they've received, and that their new Vortex product stacks up favorably against competitive models in higher price brackets.  

I've heard of a few people who weren't satisfied with what they'd bought, in every instance, Vortex resolved it to the customer's satisfaction in very short order.

If the truth were to be laid bare, I'd suspect we'd find a bewildering number of brands/models of hunting optics coming out of only a few factories in Japan, the Phillipines, and China.  They'll make whatever you order, and ship it to you.  The difference becomes how the company that orders them goes to market, and supports their customers.  I just really haven't heard anything bad about Vortex.

FWIW, I bought a 2-7 Viper on the recommendation of a dealer, and I have been more than pleased with it.  I've since bought a 4x Crossfire.

Look through a Vortex if you get a chance.  If you like it, buy it - you'll be getting a solid company in addition to a product you like.

FC
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2010 at 08:06

I just did a review on a vortex here if you wanna check it out.

http://opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=23434

When i get ready for another scope.  Vortex will be a top pick if they offer what i am looking for simply because of the CS and product you get for the money.  it also helps they have two active members on here that assist any questions, concerns, or problems that comes up and do it fast! 

Not sure of any other brand that has as active a support group than them on here at least.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
powderburn View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2010 at 17:37
Never have owned one or handled one until this weekend. Saw a crossfire 2x7 & was very impressed at what a nice scope for $114. I'll definitely have to give them some consideration if I'm shopping in their price range. I could see one of their 6x sitting on my savage 200 .223.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2010 at 22:36
my 2x7 viper sits on my .375H&H im not scared to use it.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
scarface_usmc View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2010 at 18:53
thanks alot guys. I am looking for a 1x to put on my new Ruger SR556. I was looking at Aimpoint, have used them at work. They are way to pricey for what they are. I will go check out the vortex and if they are as good as yall say they are my SR556 will be wearing one. Thanks for the help guys.
"keep your booger hook off the bang switch!"
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2010 at 08:17

Just purchased my first Vortex 6.5-20 x44,this is a very impressive scope @ $399.Went on one of my remmy700,turrets tight,box test excellent,feel & quality very good.Nice to know we still keep American workers working.......Thanks VORTEX

Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2010 at 11:13
usmc, the aimpoints are not cheap, but they work, and work well.

I had the first generation Vortex red dot (the strikefire) and it crapped out the first time in the field. Sent it in, they promptly replaced it, and I sold the replacement.
Since then, I've bought a pair of Vortex binos, 6X, great binos - and now have the new 20-60x85 Razor spotter, and like it allot.

Vortex is all about Customer Service (at least for now, when the name is new.) 

I like their stuff.  My only experience with their red dots was not great, but it was their first gen.

I own EoTech, Aimpoint, and Trijicon (accupoint, Reflex, and occasionally an ACOG) and like them all for certain things.  I agree Aimpoint is not cheap, but they work - well.

Unless strikefires have been completely redesigned, my guess is that you will more appreciate your aimpoint if you mount a strikefire.  The Aimpoint is more expensive, and IMO worth every penny.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Mondo104 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2010 at 18:26
Background: I own 4 Leupold scopes and have been extremely happy with each of them. I refuse to buy a Chi-Com or Ruskie piece of crap. Nor do I have any intent to enrich them in any way. That said, I have been reading and hearing things about the Vortex scopes. Then, I find out their HQ is about 70 miles from me in Middleton, WI. Today I took a ride out there to check them out. The website said they have a showroom and indeed they do - right in the midst of their corporate office.
 A very nice gentleman comes out of his cubicle and proceeds to show me every scope they make.I got all the info I could think of to ask and he let me take the scopes that got my interest outside to check out in natural light. These scopes were great! I started with the Crossfire and was really impressed by the brightness and clarity from edge to edge in all magnifications. I checked out the Diamondback next and though it even better - equivalent to a Leupold MK II or AR.

Then I picked up the Viper and was instantly sold. I fell for the PST 2.5-10 X 44 with the MRAD reticle. I think it every bit as good if not better than my Leupold VX-III AO. And, about $250 less. Try as I mnoght to buy the scope in my hand or any other demo they had but no go. They respect the agreement they have with their  dealers and I can't object to that.
I was given the name and address of a respected retailer a few miles up the road.

To make a long story short, I am now the proud owner of the Viper. Can't wait to try it Saturday. I'll keep you posted. Not saying I will never buy a Leupold again but I think there is a viable alternative To SWFA and Leupold.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2010 at 18:46
 WELCOME to OT,M.

GOOD read about the Vortex company,rep,and product.  I recently bought a Viper 2-7x32 from SWFA to replace my VXIII 1.75-6x32 that had a couple characteristics I didn't like. So far I've not found the Viper to be lacking in any way in what I want out of a low power variable scope.

One part of your post I don't understand though is this:
    "I think there is a viable alternative To SWFA and Leupold."
Mondo104 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2010 at 19:31
Oh most wise Optics Jedi Knight,
What I was trying to convey is that I want American optics on my American-made DPSM rifle. I would never buy  Chinese or Russian. Nor, will I buy a German scope that costs more than my vehicles. So, with the field narrowed, the only scopes I would have previously considered  would be Leupold or SWFA. Now I have 3 choices. All the best!
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2010 at 19:42
 SWFA=Super Sniper  Thunbs Up
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2010 at 21:53
Originally posted by Mondo104 Mondo104 wrote:

Oh most wise Optics Jedi Knight,
What I was trying to convey is that I want American optics on my American-made DPSM rifle. I would never buy  Chinese or Russian. Nor, will I buy a German scope that costs more than my vehicles. So, with the field narrowed, the only scopes I would have previously considered  would be Leupold or SWFA. Now I have 3 choices. All the best!

im glad you went to vortex's office, it only confirms what ive experienced on the phone with them, top shelf company imo. i will continue to use  there products.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
snakeman48 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2010 at 01:04
Vortex has a new Red dot sight on the market. They call it; SPARC

Been getting good reviews over on ar15.com

http://swfa.com/Vortex-SPARC-Red-Dot-Sights-C2988.aspx
NRA Benefactor Member.    Veteran; US Army 5th Corps 1970-1972

The only time in my life when I got to Rock-N-Roll, and the ammo was free!!
snakeman48 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2010 at 07:46
Here is a link to a SPARC review on ARFCOM

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=488888

NRA Benefactor Member.    Veteran; US Army 5th Corps 1970-1972

The only time in my life when I got to Rock-N-Roll, and the ammo was free!!
mpr1tbr1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2010 at 11:59
I have been impressed with what I have read here and elseware reguarding Vortex, but I have just shipped one back, at my expense, to competitor. I bought the Crossfire 6-24 x 50 AO mildot to mount on an air rifle. I wanted something better than a Hawk or Leapers, but did not want to spend as much as another Leupold or Sightron would cost. The scope came last night, and this morning I checked it out befor mounting it. I focused the retical and then focused the objective at a bird feeder a known 15 yards away at 6 x. I then zoomed to 10 x and the scope was totaly out of focus, I mean colored blobs no detail. I refocused using the objective went up to 11.5 x, way out of focus again. To cut this short the scope would not hold focus while zooming on objects at mesured distanced of 15 and 20 yards. This on a scope rated at 10 yards and up.

Ok, the guy got a bad scope, tough, send it back, right ? Now heres what I find interesting. I called competitor for an RMA # and was told they would take the scope back but at my expence because they believed it was functioning correctly.  Ok, the scope is definately going back, so do I ask for a replacement, or my money back. Next I call Vortex and speak to customer service, and describe my problem. I am told thats the way the scope functions. Look I'm not talking about zooming from 6 to 24 and needing to do a sight refocus, I am talking about going from 10 to 11.5 and having to do serious correction. "Thats the way the scope functions." How about, it would take three hands to use his scope, one to hold the rifle and two to work the objective and zoom togerher. Now he's 70% shure the scope is ok but if I send it in they will be happy to replace it. Also it is just a cheap scope and they build much better ones and if I'm willing to spend a couple of grand I can get one I will be realy happy with. Needless to say, I quickly made my decision not to ask for a replacement.

When you hang around with air gunners you get to see some $3000 Schmidt & Bender glass and a heck of a lot more $40 no name wonders, but you never see a scope that won't hold something close to correct focus across the zoom range. Or at least not one the company won't admit is defective.
Mike
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2010 at 12:03
Call Vortex directly this time, they are great about send a replacement out and then you sending the bad one in. And from now on buy from SWFA (WITH THE LOW PRICE GUARANTEE YOUR CRAZY NOT TO).... They pay for this site, they run this site. they work to make this the best place on the web and they do a good job. 

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic