OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Alexander Arms Beowulf optic??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beemer533 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alexander Arms Beowulf optic??
    Posted: October/01/2005 at 01:59

I have a Beowlf carbine that I am using primarily for CQB, but I would also like to be able to use it for semi - sniping (150 -250 yards).

I would like to hear any suggestions/experiences for a good optic.

DTFG
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2005 at 04:26

Budget?

Edited by cheaptrick
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
beemer533 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beemer533 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2005 at 15:18
I don't want to skimp..... I'd say around a grand.
DTFG

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2005 at 15:45

http://opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1504&PN=1

Check this thread out from our esteemed colleague, Mithran.

It's excellent Intel from a former real world operator's experience IN THE FIELD.

Welcome aboard!

Edited by cheaptrick
beemer533 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beemer533 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2005 at 16:25
Thanks for the info! I have looked at the ACOGs previously, but the fact that the ranging reticle is calibrated for .223 made me look elsewhere. Does the fact that I am shooting .50 not matter? I have a Reflex II sight and wouldn't mind sticking with Trijicon.
DTFG
Mithran View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mithran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2005 at 20:56
EoTech 1st, Trijicon compact ACOG a close 2nd (they are dot sights that have a fixed zoom level of 1.5 all the way to 3 power). nuff said.

Edited by Mithran
Fight Smarter
Not Harder
griz View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote griz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2005 at 16:21
I have a TA31 and there is no way that I'd use it on my Beowulf.  The eye relief is too short for a rifle with the stout recoil of the .50 Beowulf IMO.

If you want some magnification, I'd suggest a shotgun scope (for the generous eye relief).
beemer533 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beemer533 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2005 at 13:29

I do have a cheap 2.5 x 25 I can try out, The only problem is that wouldn't work out great for CQB. I'll give it a shot!

DTFG
beemer533 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beemer533 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2005 at 13:33

Originally posted by Mithran Mithran wrote:

EoTech 1st, Trijicon compact ACOG a close 2nd (they are dot sights that have a fixed zoom level of 1.5 all the way to 3 power). nuff said.

Mithran, you refer to a magnified EoTech; I have heard rumours but I've not been seen any specifics. Any info?!?

DTFG

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2005 at 17:42

beemer:

Is this what your looking for??

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=2256&PN=1

Hope it helps.

Mithran View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mithran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2005 at 16:57

No magnification on the EoTech.  I never used that thing that Cheaptrick mentioned.  I meant to say that the compact ACOG is magnified but not too much.  Both will give you fast target aquisition but the ACOG has a little magnification if you want.  I'd go with the EoTech myself.  I've used it quite a bit, and was very disapointed when mine was de-issued.

Fight Smarter
Not Harder

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2005 at 17:59

I think at longer distances the 1 MOA dot of the Eotech is superior to my beloved Aimpoint M2.

That said, I shot my Aimpoint w/ a 4 MOA dot out to 200 meters at moving steel targets with no problems at all. Could have been further.

The 4 MOA dot obscures the target a little, but you can make upper torso hits out to 250 meters without too much problem. And with CQB type optics, that's what matters to me.

I'd take Mithran's advise.   

beemer533 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beemer533 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2005 at 15:03
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

beemer:

Is this what your looking for??

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=2256&PN=1

Hope it helps.

That looks like just what I'm after; I guess I'll have to wait a bit till it comes out.

Thanks

DTFG
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2005 at 17:43

Here's a picture of our Alexander Arms with the .50 Beowulf upper.  We've been working with them on a ballistic study for the 6.5 Grendel and .50 Beowulf.  The EOTech is a perfect scope for the .50 upper.

beemer533 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beemer533 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2005 at 13:08

Nice!

Have you tried out the Aimpoint 3x magnifier with the EOTech?

I know several people with EOTech's, but I have not had the oppurtunity to look through the Aimpoint.

DTFG
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2005 at 15:16

Nope, we tried to mount one but it would not fit the mount because of the rubber covering.  We called Aimpoint and they said you need to cut the rubber off.  We did not want to alter this one from new as it was sold already and the customer wanted to cut the rubber himself.

Once we get enough in stock to fill back orders we will take one through its paces and sell it when we are done on the SampleList.com site.

Mithran View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mithran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2005 at 19:17
That EoTech is mounted way out there.  I'm sure it works great but wow that's a little far.  Looks good I want one.
Fight Smarter
Not Harder
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic