OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

RCBS Trim mate upgrade

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 10:17
yup nothing is ever easy.... But much more enjoyable doing it yourself.
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2010 at 07:23
I threaded my large cutter last night.

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2010 at 07:38
It's NICE to have the right tools for the job.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2010 at 08:06
It dose make it easyer to do.  I love trimming case's now. It it simple,fast and not a Pain.

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2010 at 21:16
BigDaddy B was nice enough to thread me some cutters the other day and I've been using this upgrade for trimming now for a little over 1000 different cases.  I must say that those that hate prep work on brass need this upgrade.  It make life so much easier and faster.  I can do it probably 10 times faster than by hand or by cordless drill and thats not an exageration.  Its money well spend!
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2010 at 07:18

I must say G. That green trim mate accents the pink wall nicely!! I think all MEN should have a crafts/loading/gun room..

I told you it works like a charm..

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2010 at 07:23
Hey you know the truth on the pink wall!
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2010 at 07:24
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

Hey you know the truth on the pink wall!

yeah your wife hate that you picked out and painted it that color. I know she told me.

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2010 at 07:29
Baseball Bat Why I oughta
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2010 at 07:39
where your primer brush is I have my primer uniformer. I never use the brush. one hit with the uniformer and its done.

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2010 at 07:44
I was doing 223 last so i use it to clean the pockets.  I dont' have a uniform for small rifle
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2010 at 07:52

You need one.

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2010 at 07:55
i'll get one next order from MidWay
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2010 at 08:13
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

It's NICE to have the right tools for the job.
Isn't that the ever loving truth!!!  Been wanting a nice lathe for years. 
Wouldn't you know it, I'm totally strap for cash and I see a 9" South Bend
in the paper with tools and accessories for $600!!!!
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2010 at 08:28
Thats normally the way it works. lol
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2010 at 08:29

Guys I have long wondered about teh ruggedness of the trimmate.  It looks like flimsy plastic.  I know they claim all gear drive but figured the gears are plastic.

Both of you have them, what are your opinions on their ruggedness.  It's the main reason I haven't bought one yet cause prepping casings manually suck the big one for sure!!!  Even with your set-up, chucking the casing in the Lee holder has to get OLD!  We need to come up with a faster way to chuck on a depth stop.  I'm thinking maybe modify a LEE Autoprimer Case holder with a wave washer to hold casing snouggly and an adjustable depthstop to finetune case length.
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2010 at 08:42
As far as ruggedness I think they are well built and even if something came up RCBS has been known for its outstanding warranty anyway so I am not to worrried about it.  I have found its a heck of a lot easier to just hand hold the brass in the holder and chuck cause you can hold the brass as well with your fingers.  The only real thing the lock stud and holder do now for me is to give the length gauge something to butt up against, I usually hold the brass just in my fingers with the stud loose on teh end.  Works fast.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2010 at 08:48
Under stood but the tighness of it determines the length of eth trimmed casing.  Allowing too much slop will over trim the necks.  Thats why I was thinking of a wave washer to snug the casing in the holder then maybe a locking setscrew arrangement to finetune trim length...

Once properly adjusted it should be a quick slide on trim and slide off with minimum slop or lash.
--Thomas Jefferson

Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2010 at 09:00
Originally posted by budperm budperm wrote:

Guys I have long wondered about teh ruggedness of the trimmate.  It looks like flimsy plastic.  I know they claim all gear drive but figured the gears are plastic.

Both of you have them, what are your opinions on their ruggedness.  It's the main reason I haven't bought one yet cause prepping casings manually suck the big one for sure!!!  Even with your set-up, chucking the casing in the Lee holder has to get OLD!  We need to come up with a faster way to chuck on a depth stop.  I'm thinking maybe modify a LEE Autoprimer Case holder with a wave washer to hold casing snouggly and an adjustable depthstop to finetune case length.

I'm betting i have loaded 10,000 rounds with mine and no troubles at all. A buddy of mine has the same set up ( i set it up for him new out of the box) first case a gear broke. He called RCBS and sent him a pick up number and a new one showed up in the mail the very next day. His has run around 1000 to 1500 case with no problems ether. There are nice to have.

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2010 at 09:05
I don't leave it lose enough for slop but you dont' have to wrench it down like you would doing it by had or with a cordless drill either.  I ahve thought about drilling small shallow holes in the sides of the holders and adding small rods to give more area and leverage to tighten down but its not needed.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic