OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

ring to base to action alignment

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulsfin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ring to base to action alignment
    Posted: May/12/2010 at 19:51
I just got a Remy 700 LTR and a Nightforce 3.5-15x50 mildot-zero stop mil turrets on a 15 MOA one piece base and NF low rings.
1. My question is this, do the rings need to line up with the base over the base screws?
2. Can the rings be uneven on the tube body?

The way the scope sits is a perfect fit for shooting and cheek weld. Does this mean the LTR's comb (butt pad) is too short? Thanks again!

3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2010 at 23:36
1. NO
2. YES
I like to have my rings as far apart as I can get them to increase stability and reduce stress on the scope tube.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2010 at 11:50
Originally posted by 3_tens 3_tens wrote:

1. NO
2. YES
I like to have my rings as far apart as I can get them to increase stability and reduce stress on the scope tube.
I concur +1
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2010 at 12:13
That scope looks pretty high to me.  Not sure how you are claiming it offers a perfect cheek weld.  It would be more like a jaw weld than a cheek weld.  A proper cheek weld should hit you right at the bottom of your cheek bone. 

I am not exactly sure what you are asking here.
Quote The way the scope sits is a perfect fit for shooting and cheek weld.  Does this mean the LTR's comb (butt pad) is too short?
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2010 at 12:40

A good test to see if you are getting good alignment would be to close yoru eyes and then open them after you get in the ready to fire position with your weapon.  If you can open your eyes and its clear, then your good to go.  If you not directly behind the scope youll know quick.  Also you can get in the ready to fire position and get someone to take a profile picture and see how you are lining up.

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
paulsfin View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulsfin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2010 at 19:18
Supertool- right, jaw weld not cheek weld and SVT, right, I did close and open my eyes and found myself craning to get in the sweet spot of the scope.
I don't think there are lower rings than .885 though.
Best group of the day was 4 shots, 1" center to center at 100yrds but there were very promising 2 shots always with one, either the first or last to fly. I was very uncomfortable and fighting to stay on point.
Precision shooting very very challenging! I spent 60 rounds today just to find out that I was fighting the rifle the whole time.

Should I change the rings or add a cheek rest? After the range, I moved the scope back and switched the rear ring to sit in the last post of the base. Your continued help and advise is very appreciated...

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2010 at 19:57
.885 are nf lowest rings, it's working (sorta) for you now because the length of pull is short and its bringing you forward, to get the entire sight picture. Check into Karsten adjustable check risers, and play around with your length of pull
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2010 at 21:42
You pretty much have to retrofit with a cheek pad, such as the Karsten. You can't get rings and a base much lower than that. Notice how close the focusing ring is to the base.
Reaction time is a factor...
paulsfin View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulsfin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2010 at 22:36

Ordered the Karsten bsae from Mr. Hansen, thanks again.

This is probably the wrong thread for this but how do you feel about muzzle breaks? The LTR on a bipod has a very sharp flip when shot! Its def. harder on the shoulder than a 700P also, it's almost impossible to stay behind the scope to watch the round hit.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2010 at 22:38
You could add some lead shot into your butt stock.  Those stocks are hollow and you can add lead shot mixed in epoxy to add some weight to it to help with recoil.  I have several buddies who have done that and they said it helps immensely with the recoil.

Brakes work great, but they make your gun crazy loud to shoot. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
paulsfin View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulsfin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2010 at 23:16
Supertool, I'm not sure if I want to mod the stock just yet or wait for funds to upgrade. As for the brake, yeah, I was sitting next to a gentleman with a braked 308 and I could feel the heat blast and ring in the ears.

So having the rings as wide as the scope/base can accomodate is better for the optics? They shouldn't always be centered on the straight portions of the tube?
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2010 at 03:45
Definately go with supertool on weight in the stock. May as well fit a mercury suppresor as part of the weight.
I had my hollow stock filled with wood insert and a mechanical suppresor, allmost like shock absorber. Not sure the suppresor helps, but the weight and better balance definately works.
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2010 at 08:18
your stock length of pull and design are the problem, while additional wt may hold the gun for follow through, the drop in the comb is the biggest problem. Also if you are getting behind the the gun correctly - a short stock or lengthof pull makes you pull your head up to get the sight picture, especially in prone, which will cause you to loose the control when the gun recoils, (the reason you're looking at wt and brakes now).
paulsfin View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulsfin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2010 at 08:25
How much weight are you suggesting to add? and is it something I can do myself? Supertool, I thought the process of adding epoxy mixed shot was something a gunsmith needed to do so I thought it was going to be a big cut abd chop job, sorry.
paulsfin View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulsfin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2010 at 08:30
Dale, how is the legnth of pull increased? I'm looking at all options but also trying to figure out the core of the problem.
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2010 at 08:39
The best way to solve the problem is to get a Mcmillian or Manners stock, everything talked about to this point is a compromise. The wt, can be added after you take off the recoil pad. the easiest way is to use the small bars used in bullet casting if you can find them, then use filler for the left over space. Length of pull can be increased by using spacers from Brownells.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2010 at 08:41
Normally you can simply remove the buttplate pad and tis hollow.  If not a dremel tool can make you a hole and you just mix it in and let it dry.  You can add LOP with buttplate spacers or even a larger more forgiving buttplate.   

I think overall you would be ahead of the game if you just bought a new stock.  manners, HS, B&C, Mcmillan.... all good upgrades!
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic