OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > The Range Report
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

range report

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: range report
    Posted: May/12/2010 at 12:47
 Not the best weather for sighting in a new build, raining with wind gusting to 20mph, but I couldn't stand it anymore I had to try it out.
 Target shot bottom left, bottom right, top left top right.
 Making scope adjustments and cleaning between 5shot groups.
 Savage model 111 260 rem Shilen barrel 140gr. speer hot core 34.3gr. IMR4895, CCI primer.
 Shot at 100 yards.

With a little tweaking I think I may have a keeper.

Edited by rjtfroggy - May/12/2010 at 12:49
froggy
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2010 at 13:30
Moved to "The Range Report"...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
diggler1833 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diggler1833 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2010 at 19:36
I'd be more worried about the vertical spread.

A 20mph wind should be good for about an inch at 100yds, past that and it really starts to open up a bit.

So where are the pics of the rifle?Big Grin

rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2010 at 20:03

Look in the firearms section under" my new Savage build."

Edited by rjtfroggy - May/12/2010 at 20:05
froggy
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2010 at 04:34
Not wanting to be a party pooper, but the grouping is a tad wide.

With a bit of tweaking hopefully you can tighten it up.
rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2010 at 05:50

8Shots you are correct, but considering that there are now 25 shots through this barrel(first 5 to get sited in) and the flier on each target is always right after scrubbing the barrel . Also there is absolutely no load development, I just loaded in the mid range to see where I had to go with it,no seating depth experimentation, just seated 0.025 off the lands.
 I think under better weather conditions and a little load work and this will become a pretty decent shooter.
froggy
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2010 at 05:58
RJ, my comments are meant in a constructive spirit. Great that you post this target and share with us.

It takes a lot of playing around with loads, seating depths, bullets etc to find the right combo. When you hit that right combination and she prints under 1/2 inch then it makes one just feel great.

Make sure your bench, sandbags and rifle rest is rock solid and be gentle on the trigger.

Good luck.

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2010 at 20:51
Excellent advice 8s, listen to the man Froggy he KNOWS what he is talking about!

Good start, keep going!  At this point the only advice I'd offer is to pick and adjust only one variable at a time tl find that perfet load!
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2010 at 23:48
And since you noticed the flyer is the first shot after cleaning, QUIT CLEANING THE BARREL! Sorry for the all caps, but I do feel pretty strongly about the subject. IMHO, many more barrels are killed by cleaning rods than bullets fired through them! I personally don't clean my rifles until accuracy starts to fall-off. And I never "scrub" them. A couple of wet patches with Shooter's Choice, followed by some light bore brushing, then a couple more wet patches. Then I dry it out and a light coat of oil, done.
  Being a former Marine this was a hard pill to swallow, until I remembered that even in Boot Camp, while on the range, no one cleaned their rifles! 
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2010 at 06:25
Originally posted by billyburl2 billyburl2 wrote:

And since you noticed the flyer is the first shot after cleaning, QUIT CLEANING THE BARREL! Sorry for the all caps, but I do feel pretty strongly about the subject. IMHO, many more barrels are killed by cleaning rods than bullets fired through them! I personally don't clean my rifles until accuracy starts to fall-off. And I never "scrub" them. A couple of wet patches with Shooter's Choice, followed by some light bore brushing, then a couple more wet patches. Then I dry it out and a light coat of oil, done.
  Being a former Marine this was a hard pill to swallow, until I remembered that even in Boot Camp, while on the range, no one cleaned their rifles! 

no doubt, until you see a noticed changed in accuracy leave it be.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2010 at 06:54
 This is a brand new Shilen barrel and I was following their procedure, so I expected the fliers.
 I have since returned to the range and using 140gr. smk the groups have tightened up to .75@100 still bucking 25 mph wind gust and sustained brezze of about 14. I dropped the powder charge by .8 gr. and brought the seating depth out .005 and it seems to be better but still working on it.
 I would have posted the second target but the guy next to me started shooting at the wrong target and was placing shots all over mine while I was waiting for a cease fire so I could retrieve my targets.The PD has the range Mon.-Fri. from now until July 1st. for qualifying so weekends are the only days we can use it and it will start to get crowded so I may not get back for a month or so unless it is pouring rain and that is no fun, but I've been wet before (retired firefighter).
froggy
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic