OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Truck Bed Covers - UnderCover

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Truck Bed Covers - UnderCover
    Posted: May/10/2010 at 14:01
Anyone had any experience with Undercover truck bed covers?  My existing bed cover got demolished and I need a replacement.  I have looked at all the big names. Leer, ARE, Gaylord, ...and so on.  The guys at the truck shop said he had a undercover and loves it.  He said it wasn't the sleekest and all but it was the most durable and you can still put stuff on top of it which I like.  Thanks for the thoughts guys. 
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2010 at 14:05
 ?  interesting.  Can you post a pic?
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2010 at 14:18
http://undercoverinfo.com/new_classic.php
Here is the link to the one that fits my truck
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2010 at 14:30
 I LIKE! Got a friend who moved up from the city who has one of the snap on covers. What a PITA (not him,the cover). Never really needed to remove it much til he moved up here. THAT would work for him.
Average Joe View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Average Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2010 at 15:55
Steer clear of Anything LEER .
I'm classic shag nasty type.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2010 at 16:10
 Have BAD luck did ya?
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2010 at 16:15
Originally posted by Average Joe Average Joe wrote:

Steer clear of Anything LEER .

care to share?
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Average Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2010 at 16:39
Bad luck isnt the word for Leer.
I had a Brand new truck and wanted a cap/top, payed the money and waited 4 weeks for it to come.Cap is fitted and omg the fittment was so bad that i could fit my hand up the sides in places, that was the first cap.
Now fast forward to the 3rd try ,still a poor fit and all Leer wanted to do was offer me $300 back to keep the cap and not fix the problem.The 3rd cap ws also a cap from someone elses truck and been re sprayed to my color.......not good, not good at all.
Leer has no customer service you can call and when i did call the factory all they wanted to know is where did i get the number from to call them, all contact with them is dealer only.The dealer gave me the number out of embarrassment and only because he  saw how bad the product was . Leer gave the dealer the run around to,i had to wait a month for a refund.
Never never ever again anything Leer.
My cap(s) where made in the PA factory.

lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2010 at 16:56
Being from "Up North" I've always opted for a cap instead of a tonneau cover.  Sure is nice to put on your hunting cloths out of the wind, snow and cold.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2010 at 16:56
   What brand did you end up going with?
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Average Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2010 at 17:10
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

What brand did you end up going with?
I didn't get another one after that experience,i did look at A.R.E but it was $1000 more. 
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2010 at 17:21
 Like Jeff I opted for a cap but was constantly taking it on and off due hauling whatever.  Finally just sold the cap and bought a CJ just for hunting.
scooter65 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooter65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2010 at 06:50
Take a look at the Trifecta by Extang. 

I had a hard cover before, not very versatile when you want to haul something big, the snap ons and stretch seam type are a pain to put the cover back on. 

This Trifecta has been my favorite one and the companies warranty is excellent.  Had some stitching coming out on mine and they replaced it without hesitation.

Edited by scooter65 - May/11/2010 at 06:51
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2010 at 07:35
My boss put one of those Undercover tops on his work truck. He likes it a lot, and it's easily removed should the situation demand such. It was a good bit cheaper than the big names too. 
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2010 at 11:03
Nice hard cap.friends came with handy battery operated led light..
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2010 at 17:05
OOOHhh I like that Trifecta!  Like the idea of being able fold back the top!

So Graham did you post pictures of your Lighting?
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2010 at 17:20
I have one of the flat fiberglass caps on my truck and it is rather a pain to take off to haul an ATV but it is nice to have dry storage the rest of the time. Preston got a soft cover style that folds up and it didnt last two months - junk.   A standard camper shell has the ability to be used more different ways and the aluminum ones are a lot less expensive than the fiberglass ones.  Lots of the Army 3/4 ton pickups have aluminum toppers on them and they hold up well.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
scooter65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooter65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2010 at 06:55
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

I have one of the flat fiberglass caps on my truck and it is rather a pain to take off to haul an ATV but it is nice to have dry storage the rest of the time. Preston got a soft cover style that folds up and it didnt last two months - junk.   A standard camper shell has the ability to be used more different ways and the aluminum ones are a lot less expensive than the fiberglass ones.  Lots of the Army 3/4 ton pickups have aluminum toppers on them and they hold up well.

What brand of softtop did he get? 

I was worried my folder wouldn't have held up as well, but to my surprise it has.  My truck sits out all winter and I've had almost two feet of snow sitting on it for weeks.  Never leaks inside the bed, nothing gets wet, I run the truck through the car washes with the top on.  I've had mine 5 years and the fabric hasn't stretched or torn or faded, nothing.  I've been quite impressed with it.  Of course, it's not very secure like a hard top would be.  Did I mention they are made in the USA!
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2010 at 07:08

I want the security of the hard top.  I am always afraid someone will just jab a knife through a soft top and get what i keep back there.

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2010 at 15:53
Just ordered the Undercover.....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic