OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Optic Reviews and Tests > Member's Tests and Reviews
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Vortex Crossfire 2.5-10x50 and ND-3 Combination
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Vortex Crossfire 2.5-10x50 and ND-3 Combination

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vortex Crossfire 2.5-10x50 and ND-3 Combination
    Posted: May/10/2010 at 12:42

Well I finally got the Vortex Crossfire that I wanted in the other day.  It was initially on backorder but as usually SWFA got it to me as soon as they had it in hand.  (great jobs guys)

I have to be completely honest on this review.  The original scope I recieved was defective.  The illumination feature didn't work.  I originally "hoped" it was just the battery supplied with the scope so I went out and bought a new one to try.  Still no dice.  I PMed a one of the members here that works for Vortex and he gave me a Customer Services Reps direct line to call it in and get a replacement coming.  Some may ask why not send to SWFA and the reason.... Cost.  Why should SWFA eat the cost on shipping... they shouldn't so even if it took longer it was worth it to me to save that fine company some money.  Vortex was very prompt and professional on getting me a new scope out and the guy even said he would personally check the scope before it left to make sure it worked.  New scope arrived four days later...(with a nice new hat to boot)  Put the battery in and whala. Works like a champ.    I got it mounted on my 24" AR upper and boresighted it with the ole' look down the barrel method. 

The ND3 arrived with the original scope.  First impressions were good. The packaging makes you think you just recieved a million dollar piece of equipment and I really like the optional mounts and all that come with the devise.  I poped the supplied battery into it and tested it out in a dark room and man it really does look awesome.  I mounted it on the new Vortex with the supplied 1" ring mounts so that it is directly mounted to the scope and somewhat fixed for the time being.  I got it lined up with the crosshairs and put it all away until I got to the range/house.  Friday afternoon I took it out and set up a target at 50yds (to get on paper just in case)  First shot was about 1" left 1" low.  Adjusted and went straight to a 100yd target.  Within' 4 shots i was on the bullseye and grouping great

I shot an overall 60 rounds that session testing POI change and adjustment in the scope.  I really wish the scope had target Turrets but it wasn't to terrible with the finger adjustments it has.  It passed what i call my accuracy test with flying colors and did a well job on the box test.   My accuracy test is a printed paper with 1" circles about 6" apart all over the paper.  Instead of shooting groups i use that paper to tell me how I'm doing along with my equipment.  the paper has 10 circles and i hit 9 with the last one being on the edge of the circle.   Image was clear and crisp and I didn't notice much tunnel effect at all.  POI didn't change from 2.5x and 10x.  The center circle is a little large for precise shot placement and covers up about 1 to 1 1/2" at 100yds but it isn't a bad thing for what i wanted the scope for, predator hunting and the occasional deer hunt. 

That same afternoon after dark, around 9:30ish i went back out with the rig to test the ND3.  Same set up shooting from the prone position with a sandbag rear.  The results where amazing.  Focusing the ND3 beam down to just small enought to fit inside my sight picture and fired of a full clip rapid fire.  Grouped vey well!  I tested it later that night by lighting up some deer and they didn't spook at all.  Raccons, opposums, and a fox did seem to stare at the laser for a second and scurry off though.  The rig is ready for a yote hunt and some ferrel pigs too.  (a farmer friend has asked for some help with the later)

Pictures will be posted later tonight (from the home computer) but anyone on the fence with Vortex climb on over.  Granted the original was a lemon in a way (everyone lets one out eventually) you can't beat that customer service.  The  quality of the optics is unreal for the prce! The ND3 ain't no slouch either and I know why all the others rave about them now.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2010 at 16:58
SWEET!!!!!!!!!!  I am going to have to do the same set up. "without the AR" Sucks that the first scope was bad, but you did get a hat, so that's not all bad. I'm looking at doing my set-up on a .204 ruger.
If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
Trays 7940 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trays 7940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2010 at 17:28
Good Info!  Excellent

I don't shoot innocent animals, just the one's who look guilty.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2010 at 08:15
Sorry for the delay in pictures..... I didnt' get a chance to get on the computer last night. Had to go shopping with the wife and didnt' get in til late.  Will be posted tonight!
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2010 at 10:00
Thanks for a well written report.

Waiting for pics...

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2010 at 20:07
test with 62gr FMJ BT  - not so good
Test with 75gr hornady match
back to my guns favorite pill 69gr nosler custom comp. (rapid fire)
3 shot group with the 69gr Nosler CC to make myself know the gun will shot! ( i helped a tad)
Last clip of the day.
the set up
the range
my POV

neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2010 at 20:44
Nice man, really nice. Thunbs Up
If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2010 at 04:16
Great shooting and testing!!! Pics helps us guys without any imagination!!!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2010 at 06:19
good shooting tex!
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2010 at 06:35
i'm still having trouble getting most anything to group well other than those 69gr.ers  I am gonna try some 55's and 68's next
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2010 at 08:50
I dont' know what happened to my pictures i took that night so I guess i will have to redo those when I get back home again.  More to follow.
stork23raz View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2010 at 06:41

One day if you get a chance you should take some more night pictures and post them.

And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 10:28
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2010 at 06:53
Will do,  It will be after teh 4th of July weekend, I left that gun at home.
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2010 at 10:40

would it be possisble to use the nd3 effectively without a Iluumintaed reticle?

Edited by stork23raz - June/24/2010 at 10:40
And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2010 at 11:58
You can see the reticle with just the crosshairs.  However, the illuminated dot makes it a heck of a lot easier on dark backdrops. 
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2010 at 12:08
Just wondering ever since i seen that I was thinkn I need that, I have absolutely no use for it right now but it would be cool to use. Does it produce enough light to use  through most the power range of the scope.

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2010 at 12:15

Others may disagree, I have only used it for target shooting so far, but the higher the mag the more concentrated you can make the beam and the brighter the picture in my experience.   Your FOV goes dows as you increase magnification and if you want to keep the sight picture in "green" for 2.5 power the beam is pretty much as wide as it will go, at 10 power I can turn it down to fit in the narrower sight picture and make much more of the lazer on target for a cleaner image.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic