OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Reloading Press...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apostle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reloading Press...
    Posted: May/08/2010 at 04:17
Thinking of buying a reloading press to reload my .308 (and maybe in the future 45-70). The shop I regularly go to only has Lee Precision stuff.

Whats everyones opinion on this brand??? Which of their presses is the best???
John Howard: "We will find any means we can to further restrict them because I hate guns...ordinary citizens should not have weapons. We do not want the American disease imported into Australia"...
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2010 at 07:09
  I only have one set of their dies but their equipment will get the job done.   Are you looking for a single stage or progressive press?
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2010 at 07:37
The Lee "classic" is their best single stage press, though the others will get the job done.  I've used lee presses and dies for almost all of my reloading years, In my eyes they provide a decent product at a very attractive price.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2010 at 08:25
rcbs rock chucker supreme kit
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
The Apostle View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apostle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2010 at 10:30
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

Are you looking for a single stage or progressive press?

What is the difference?

Edited by The Apostle - May/08/2010 at 10:31
John Howard: "We will find any means we can to further restrict them because I hate guns...ordinary citizens should not have weapons. We do not want the American disease imported into Australia"...
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2010 at 10:43
a bunch of money and a bunch of production
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2010 at 12:52
 For good accurate loads a single stage press IMO is the way to go.
 I personaly use only RCBS products but by no means are they the absolute best, they just have outstanding CS and the best warranty out there. RCBS has probably the widest selection of reloading dies and tools on the market.I can't say about the LEE stuff because I don't know.
 Like Pyro said the "supreme kit" or even the beginning kit gives you what you need to get started instead of buying everything seperate.
 Look into buying mail order because there are a lot of products out there.
froggy
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2010 at 16:47
I use a lee classic turret and like it.  I plan on getting a single press though for my precision loads.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2010 at 20:25
dillon 550b x 2
No one
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2010 at 10:40
Most of my equipment is also RCBS. But I have some Lee decapping equipment. I broke one of the decapping pins on one of them by not paying attention to the fact they were Berdan, DOH!
I explained this to Lee and they still replaced for free including shipping.

Doug
Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2010 at 16:31
"dillon 550b x 2 "

Same here.  1 set up for large primers, the other for small primers.
One can craft some very precise loads on a good progressive.

I reserve the single sage press for FL sizing only.
Trays 7940 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trays 7940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2010 at 17:29
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

rcbs rock chucker supreme kit
+1Big Smile

I don't shoot innocent animals, just the one's who look guilty.
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2010 at 20:34

Any thoughts on the Redding T7 turret press? I thought it would be handy to leave my dies set up on it.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2010 at 20:53
ive thought about that myself, im just not sure how they hold up with bigger stuff like the .30-378 or 300 rum.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2010 at 09:51
Well since no one mentioned Hornady I guess I will.  I have both their progressive and single stage.  IMO the single stage is better than the RCBS for the fact it comes with the quick change die setup. (hornady sells an upgrade for RCBS so it can be added to one of their presses as well)  Makes die changes just a 1/4 of a turn process.  I have used them side by side and with that exception they both work just the same and accomplish the same thing. 

I have used Hornady, Lee, RCBS, and Forester's customer service.  All of them are top notch and in my experience all have a no BS type warranty. 

In my experience Lee products are excellent.  Plus you add in the cheaper cost of all their stuff and it becomes really excellent. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2010 at 13:01
 I'll mention Hornady!  I do like their bullet seating die.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
BillyWayne View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyWayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2010 at 14:47
I am a big fan of the Lee equipment.  The Classic single stage press is excellent.  I have used their customer support and they were great.  I learned to reload on my uncle's RCBS equipment and never had issue with it.  When I bought in for myself I chose Lee because of the cost. 
John 11:35
The're taking the hobbits to Isengard!!
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2010 at 10:24
I started with a Lee Anniversary Kit several years ago.  Some of the the items got upgraded over the years but I'm still using the press that came with it.  There CS is top-notch.
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2010 at 10:40
Lee
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2010 at 13:09
I have a Lee classic turret and it makes .308 rounds that consistently shoot .5MOA and one recipe of 300WM that shoots about 0.3MOA out to 600 yards.  I can't complain about the precision of my Lee classic.  I've measured OAL ammo from different runs (with turrets swapped between runs) and seen no change in length (out to the tenthousandsths of an inch.)

Spend more if you want, my Classic has never done me wrong.

Dies are a mix of Lee and RCBS.  I like RCBS's locking mechanism better than Lee's but on the turret, none get moved anyway.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic