OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Optic Reviews and Tests > Member's Tests and Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Hawke Sidewinder 30 Tactical 4.5-14x42

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hawke Sidewinder 30 Tactical 4.5-14x42
    Posted: May/21/2010 at 15:13
Thanks for the review Ilya, we appricate you taking the time and effort.

Duce Big Smile
Duce
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2010 at 17:31
As I said in the review, I mostly ran it on a 308Win, but it also survived on 338 Lapua for some time.  Off hand, I would say that durability should not be a problem, but, of course, there are always production variations.

As far as the company goes, Hawke is British company with most of their products manufactured in China.  They have been around for a while, but are comparatively new to the US (they have been here for about three years I think).

Hawke USA is set up in Indiana, and from what I understand they have been growing pretty consistently, so I suspect they'll be around for a while.

ILya
Black Dog View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2010 at 17:23
Hello New old guy here.Smile

I read and appreciated the detailed ILya Koshkin review of the Hawke Sidewinder Tactical 30, which I will probably buy through SWFA.

My concerns, since these are not low end priced IMHO,  are how it will hold up with .30  centerfire rifles, so I wonder if Ilya ( or anyone )  has any more to report on these ??   Also any opinions in general on Hawke The Company would be appreciated.

TIA

Rich
z71rat View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote z71rat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2010 at 17:22
Thanks for the update ILya!! It is greatly appreciated!!

DK
Savage Arms - Arken Optics - MDT - Seekins - SilencerCo - Molon Labe!!!
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2010 at 02:32
I finally wrapped up my review of the Hawke Sidewinder 30 Tactical.

You can find the whole thing here:

In a nutshell, I liked the scope a fair bit.  Over time we will know more about how well it holds up under abuse, but the one I tested was quite solid.  Glass is much improved and the mechanicals are repeatable.

On top of that, illumination is quite usable even in very low light conditions.  

It is not cheap, retailing at a bit under $400, but is is not very expensive either.  I think it offers good performance for the money.  The scope is made in China, and it is probably the best scope I have seen come out of China up to date that is designed for tactical/target use.

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic