OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope Advice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcouto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope Advice
    Posted: May/06/2010 at 00:19
New member here, looking for some advice.  I need to get a scope for my Savage 110E in 7mm Remington Magnum.  Problem is, I've always been an iron sights type and don't know a lot about optics.  I do know, however, that you get what you pay for and I don't want to buy something I'll regret.  Any suggestions on a good scope for that gun in the $200-$500 price range?  Unfortunately I can't spend more than that right now.  I'd like some pretty good reach on it, and a variable zoom if possible for that price range.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Joe
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2010 at 05:24

I would buy a Zeiss, Minox, or Meopta 3-9x40 for $400.

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2010 at 06:29
Whats the purpose of the gun? A range queen? Hunting rig?
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2010 at 06:30
bushnell 4200 elite would be worth your time to look at as would the vortex viper.

the scopes mentioned above are very nice too.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
jcouto View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcouto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2010 at 11:26
Hunting rig for sure.  It needs to be durable, since it will be banged about in the brush.

Thanks for the suggestions!  I'll look those up!
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2010 at 11:35
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

bushnell 4200 elite would be worth your time to look at as would the vortex viper.

the scopes mentioned above are very nice too.

For a hunting rig these are the two models i would look at.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2010 at 11:46
Problem with Meopta is the short eye relief.  Suddenly this year they started listing 3.5 on their scopes but the designs did not change from last year when they were listed as 3 inches.  I have one on a 7mm but mine is a semi auto, but when I shoot uphill I have been popped in the head a bit.  Mine is for sure 3 inches
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
jcouto View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcouto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2010 at 12:59
Ok, final question.  I know that I want as much light as possible, so I'd like to get a *x40 or *x50.  But what about magnification?  This is my first REAL scope purchase and while the guy in me wants boo-coo magnification, I wonder if it's necessary.  The logical part of me knows that if the animal is really that far away, do I have any business shooting at it?  I'm obviously not used to long range shots so I don't think I'll be attempting 800 yd shots, if you know what I mean.  So, do I shoot for high magnification or go with less magnification to get the 50 mms?  Either way I think 50mm will be just out of my initial price range, but if it's worth it I'll shell out the extra $200 or so.
SD Dog View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2010 at 15:12
Well, it you are going to be banging through brush, long shot are most likely least common.  3-9x40 would be great, might even consider going to a 2-7.  What will you be hunting and what is a normal situation for you?
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
jcouto View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcouto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2010 at 15:22
Hell, I live in the middle of Liberal california's bay area. I don't have a "usual" stomping ground since I am not fortunate enough to know any land owners.  For that reason, I need something versatile that can be used in open country but also serve in tighter brush.  I was thinking a 4-16x40 or 50.  As opposed to a 6-24x*.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2010 at 15:28
The 2.5-10/3-9x40 scopes are a great all around choice for a 7Mag.
I would also look at a Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x42 and Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x40. Both have very good glass and make great hunting scopes. They are low profile and reasonably sized.
The Monarch also comes in a 3-9x40. I have mine on a .260 and it works great. It has been reliable and the optics are the equal of anything I've seen in the UMC class of scopes.

Doug
SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2010 at 15:32
I run a 3-9x42 Sightron SII Big Sky.  This past fall shot a buck at 330 yards and one at 25 yards.  Never felt under or over scoped.  In fact the shot at 330 was on 6x so I could have increased the magnification even more.  What are you hunting?

Edited by SD Dog - May/06/2010 at 15:32
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

jcouto View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcouto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2010 at 16:00
Great advice, Thanks guys.  So 9x or 10x should be plenty?  That's good news since I can put the money towards quality rather than reach.

The majority of my hunting will be deer and boar. If the gods are good to me, I may book an elk hunt sometime in the next couple years.
SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2010 at 16:04
Quality glass trump magnification.  9x or 10x will do well.  Zeiss, Bushnell 4200, Sightron all have quality 3-9s,  Post a pic once you get it bought and mounted.

Edited by SD Dog - May/06/2010 at 16:07

neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2010 at 16:29

The 4200 3-9 is a steal at $255  http://swfa.com/Bushnell-3-9x40-Elite-4200-Rifle-Scope-P6910.aspx  It has rainguard, clear glass, and will stand up to your rifles recoil.

If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
jcouto View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcouto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2010 at 16:44
Anyone have an opinion on this one...

http://swfa.com/Bushnell-25-10x50-Elite-4200-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P6909.aspx
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2010 at 16:52
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Problem with Meopta is the short eye relief.  Suddenly this year they started listing 3.5 on their scopes but the designs did not change from last year when they were listed as 3 inches.  I have one on a 7mm but mine is a semi auto, but when I shoot uphill I have been popped in the head a bit.  Mine is for sure 3 inches

3.75" There's a new Meo in town.

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2010 at 17:37
That is cool, I was not aware of that one.  Thanks for the link.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
powderburn View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2010 at 05:49
As you can see there are plenty of good choices out there. There is a vari x iii 3.5x10 on the samples list that is a pretty good looking deal in my book. There are also several nikon monarchs and a couple of bushnells listed that might do it for you.
powderburn View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2010 at 06:01
You know another couple of good hunting options for you would be the redfield 3x9 the sightron si and the burris fullfield. All of these are pretty capable hunting scopes and are in the lower end of your price range.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic