OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

burris or leup. or zeiss

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: burris or leup. or zeiss
    Posted: September/28/2005 at 11:43

I am trying to deceide between these three scope. I would appreciate any input from anyone with experience with any of them. It will be going on a winchester model 70 .270wsm. If you have other suggestions in the same price range (400 to 500) that would be good to. Thanks in advance for your help.

1. Burris signature select 3x12x44 with ballistic plex. I think this is my pick I like the extra magnification and the ballistic plex, but the burris I had before had a very critical eye position.

2. Leupold 3x10x40 vx-III (burris seems to be better choice for the money but not sure which is brighter)

3. Zeiss Conquest 3x10x44 not sure it is worth $100 more

4. Sightron SII 3x10x42 Much less expensive but not sure it would be as bright as the above scopes.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2005 at 12:05

Zeiss does have better glass than the other three scopes.  Burris, Leupold and Sightron have comparable glass.  Sightron has the best adjustments out of these four though, and the largest adjsutment range (I think).

Ilya

Coach View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2005 at 13:56
So regardless of the price would the sightron be just as good or better than the burris or leupold and just short of the Conquest? I see no need to spend the extra money if the sightron is as bright and clear. I have also considered the Sightron SII 3x12x42 with mil dot. as an alternative to use for holdover. Would it be as bright as the 3x10x42?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2005 at 14:12

A lot of people here think that Zeiss is worth the extra money.

As for Sightron, I have not used a 3.5-10x42, but I think that 3-12x42 is quite bright; IMO, on par with Signature Select and VX-III.

Ilya

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2005 at 14:40
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

A lot of people here think that Zeiss is worth the extra money.

Like me!!

The Conquest is the best scope in it's class right now. And worth the extra few bucks. To me.

You listed some real nice scope, and you really can't go wrong with any of them.

Though I would probably rate the Burris at the bottom.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic