OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Need a firing pin.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need a firing pin.
    Posted: May/04/2010 at 21:48

I got hoodwinked at a gun show a while back and bought what was supposed to be a "great shooter" working rifle. 

It's a Rossi "Interarms" Model M-59 .22 mag pump. It strikes the shell and dents it a smidge, but not enough for it to fire. I took it to a local gun smith thinking it might need a new spring, but alas he informed me that the end of the firing pin was broken off and that there was not any replacement manufacturers out there. I email Rossi with the gun information and they can't help as it's a gun that was built before they changed hands to their current ownership.

Does anyone know where I might can get a new firing pin? I even thought of having a new one machined, but without knowing the exact dimensions of the original my local machinist said he wouldn't do it. "and I really can't fault him as it could cause problems were it not to spec"

The gun is really in nice shape other than the broken pin and I would really like to get it fixed. 

Any information provided will be greatly appreciated.

If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2010 at 03:50
Brownells?
rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2010 at 05:23

Try either one , good luck.

froggy
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2010 at 06:00
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2010 at 17:15

Gun Parts was the first people I called and they don't have one, can't get one. "appreciate the responses" I even asked them if they had the factory specs so I could get one made and no luck with them. They were nice on the phone and I hope to be able to do business with them at some point.

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2010 at 17:35
Is it the same rifle as this one...

Rossi pump/Tauras
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2010 at 17:47
It's pretty close externally, dunno about inner workings. I might order a pin for one and see if it fits or can be modified. Thanks Roy.
bushman8377 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bushman8377 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2010 at 17:58
Originally posted by neilbilly neilbilly wrote:

It strikes the shell and dents it a smidge, but not enough for it to fire. I took it to a local gun smith thinking it might need a new spring, but alas he informed me that the end of the firing pin was broken off and that there was not any replacement manufacturers out there.

It sounds like your pin is a few thou short of spec, sence you have the orignal, id check if some one could make you an out of spec pin (in length) and have your gun smith fit it to the rifle. Even if you cant find the factory specs the pin you have can be measured so a spec list drawn up for a hand fit. Then a protrusion check will tell how long the length will need to be. Yeah sounds expensive but with out a replacement there may be no other choice.
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2010 at 18:14
Thanks Bushman. Nobody local was willing to do it, so I might end up having to travel a bit to find someone willing to play with it. I could pass it along as it was passed to me, but I am not wired up that way and can't knowingly screw someone. Gun dealer where I shop a bit offered to take $75.00 off any gun he has for the rifle as is, so I may take him up on it rather than keep screwing around with it. The more I look into it, the more it seems that this is a really common problem with the M-59 model. I'm sure there is a solution out there as it is a common problem, but everyone has posted the same problem and not a one has followed it up with a solution. It's frustrating, and why I usually will not buy a used gun unless I can smoke test it right then. 
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2010 at 19:04
Dump it.  Buy a Winchester 62.  
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2010 at 20:57

Shocked Love to, but I already sold my favorite kidney. 

C'mon man, I'm so tight when I poot only dogs hear it.

No way would I spend that much coin unless I hit the lotto tonight.

cowski View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2010 at 21:04
there is another place that handles rare parts .i can not think of the name . give me a day or 2 maybe i will think of it.
never corner something meaner than you are jbc
cowski View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2010 at 21:24
jack first 605-343-9544
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2010 at 22:19
Thanks Cowski. I'll call him tomorrow. 
BobC View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2010 at 00:51
I have had fairly good luck getting the parts I need for my Model 74 Winchester through Numrich Gun Parts.
SD Dog View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2010 at 14:37
Originally posted by cowski cowski wrote:

jack first 605-343-9544

That appears to be a SD number.  Rapid City?
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2010 at 14:45
Your rifle is a copy of the 06 Winchester. you might try locating a 1906 Winchester firing pin an see if it fits, may have to use an adaptor kit lol.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
cowski View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2010 at 13:11
yes sd
desertfox View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2010 at 15:29
did the OP get this taken care of? If not. I would like to work something with hime for his rifle. I have a M59 that needs a hammer and trigger, but has a good firing pin.
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2010 at 18:24

I've got help on the way with my firing pin. One of our members here is making me a new one using my old one as a template. 

If you've tried all the guys listed in the numbers above, I'd pm Bigdaddy

http://www.opticstalk.com/member_profile.asp?PF=4895

Or 300  

http://www.opticstalk.com/member_profile.asp?PF=7490

As they both are good guys that have a knack for finding and having goodies.

Lots of other good guys are members here so there's a good chance you'll find help here.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic