OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Busnell Elite 4200 on Stevens 200 .270

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EchoWhiskeyOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Busnell Elite 4200 on Stevens 200 .270
    Posted: May/04/2010 at 20:13
Alright guys, I told everybody that I would post up my results on here once I got my scope mounted and had a chance to get out to the range and shoot.

Started off by putting a cheap box of ammo through the Stevens after cleaning it well to "season" the barrel.  Then I cleaned it again.  I was shooting in three round intervals with 5 minute cooling periods (Stevens steel gets hot QUICK).

Boresighted the rifle and got it on the paper fairly easily.

Now here is what has my nerves dancing...I can't for the LIFE of me, get this rifle to zero.

This is the FIRST rifle that I have EVER had this issue with and I am hoping that it's not a scope or rifle issue and that I'm overlooking something.

The ammo that I was firing to zero was Hornady SST Interlock 140gr.  It's not handloads, but it's PREMIUM ammo. 

I zero all of my rifles high approximately 3" high at 100yds to accommodate shots out to around 300yds if neccessary and I have my .300WSM driving nails.  The first time that I got the .270 cutting the center line 2.75" high at 100yds, I let out a deep sigh of relief only to shoot again for that three shot grouping and watch my next whole penetrate around 4" to the right and 3" low...I'm stumped and BEYOND frustrated.  Whacko
powderburn View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 20:25
Check your mount, I have mounted dozens of scopes and every time I have had an issue like yours it's because something was loose and/or slipping around.
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 21:23

I'm with Powderburn on this one. Sounds like something is loose. You use blue loc-tite?

Also if everything is tight, switch ammo. I have had poop for luck with Hornady. My .06 likes the federal stuff in the green box from Wally World. 

Edited by neilbilly - May/04/2010 at 21:24
If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 21:36
+1 on checking the mountings. Other than that try some different ammo. Some different rifles like different ammo. Also check the crown of your rifle to make sure it is clean and smooth.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
powderburn View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2010 at 05:36
If you check your mounts and can't find anything try a different scope if you can. It will quickly show if it's the scope or rifle problem. Also check that your rifle is secure in the stock and not slipping around there. Finally make sure your rest is not putting undo pressure on the barrel or stock. sometimes you can have a bipod or something that will put too much pressure on the stock barrel contact.    That's about all that I can really think of for a new rifle. I've seen old worn out military rifles shoot poorly but thy were worn completely out and I would be shocked to have a new savage /stevens that wouldn't group better than that.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2010 at 06:22
No No when are you people going to learn?? its obvious to me that its a .270 problem.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2010 at 06:39
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

No No when are you people going to learn?? its obvious to me that its a .270 problem.
Laugh Above
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
EchoWhiskeyOne View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EchoWhiskeyOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2010 at 07:32
Here's a dumb question for ya'll.

I know that some scopes have different adjustments (i.e. when some are shooting to the left, you adjust to the right and when some are shooting to the right you adjust to the right).  Likewise on some scopes, when they are shooting high, adjust lower and when some are shooting low, adjust lower. 

Just a thought...do you think that I am clicking my adjustments in the wrong direction on this scope?

This is my first time ever owning a Bushnell.  I've always been a Leupold and Weaver guy...so what do you think guys?  How should I be making adjustments on this Elite 4200?

I'm going back to the range possibly this weekend.  I'll change up some ammo and let you all know.  The mount is solid.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2010 at 07:36
Is the scope not marked?
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EchoWhiskeyOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2010 at 07:38
Also, for what it's worth, my X-Bolt .300WSM/Hunter Wicked Optics combo that I have shooting nickel sized groupings at 100yds did so with Remington 150gr Pointed Soft Point Core-Lokt ammunition, a bipod and sandbag under the butt.

This .270 is only my second sub 30 caliber hunting rifle that I've ever owned...second only to my Model 70 Winchester .280 Remington which I must say is one HELL of a rifle.  I figured that I would go all out on getting some decent ammo for that .270...if the ammo turns out to be crap in this rifle, I will be selling two unopened boxes of Hornady ammo for $25/per.  They ran me $38/per at my local gunshop.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EchoWhiskeyOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2010 at 07:41
Yeah, it's marked as in: ----> for Up and ----> for Right.

What I was saying is that I have encountered some scopes that say ----> for Right and it actually brought the crosshairs back to the left and some vice-versa.

I was just curious if the Elite 4200s were labled as they were meant to adjust (right for right and up for up, rather than right for left and up for down).

Sounds menial and ignorant, but like I said...I have personally encountered scopes of the like.
Sandracer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2010 at 07:58
I have several 4200's and they are all marked correctly and adjust easily! I use a 3-9x40 on a 300 Wby and have used it a lot also have one on a model 700 BDL in 270 and it shoots with all shots touching at 100. I don't have a clue on the ammo thing as I haven't shot a factory load in 30 years!
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2010 at 07:59

Are the groups consistant?  I mean do the shoots group.

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EchoWhiskeyOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2010 at 08:15
To be honest with you, the slight adjustments that I was making (1/4" adjustments with every shot) on the scope to bring it closer to the desired spot on my target made such erratic changes to where the actual shot placement ended up compared to the prior shot, that I was leery about trying for consistent grouping due to the cost of the ammo that I had invested in the rifle at that point.

Basically, I didn't want to waste ammo, but before I DO buy some new ammo to try through the rifle, I guess that I will at least try a 3-5 shot grouping without making any adjustments to see if it IS at least consistent and adjustment is the main hangup.

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2010 at 08:47
Thats a good ideal.  It could be the gun, it could be the scope.  Did you check all your mounts to make sure they were snug but not to tight.  I have heard to tight of rings causing that problem before.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2010 at 09:20
I just thought about this and you may wanna try it.  Check the action bolts too.  See if they are over torqued or loose.  It coudl do nothing but trying to eliminate all variables before you go back to the range.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2010 at 17:51
Originally posted by EchoWhiskeyOne EchoWhiskeyOne wrote:

Also, for what it's worth, my X-Bolt .300WSM/Hunter Wicked Optics combo that I have shooting nickel sized groupings at 100yds did so with Remington 150gr Pointed Soft Point Core-Lokt ammunition, a bipod and sandbag under the butt.

This .270 is only my second sub 30 caliber hunting rifle that I've ever owned...second only to my Model 70 Winchester .280 Remington which I must say is one HELL of a rifle.  I figured that I would go all out on getting some decent ammo for that .270...if the ammo turns out to be crap in this rifle, I will be selling two unopened boxes of Hornady ammo for $25/per.  They ran me $38/per at my local gunshop.

im seriously confused here brother, splain to me why in the world you would own a .270 when the .280 is obviously a way better rig??
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2010 at 17:57

Stare
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2010 at 20:51
Shoot from a VERY cold bore.  I love all the ads Savage put out where thier barrel straightner was featured.Loco  Let that one set in a bit. Wink
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EchoWhiskeyOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2010 at 15:42
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

im seriously confused here brother, splain to me why in the world you would own a .270 when the .280 is obviously a way better rig??

You answered your own question.  I bought this .270 because my .280 is a way better rig!  I want to conserve the .280 as much as possible and keep it in as good as shape as possible and pass it down through generations.

.280 ammo is also hard to come by in many locations and is much more expensive.

Oh yeah, did I mention that Winchester doesn't produce the .280 anymore, another reason for me to keep it in as good as shape as possible?

I bought this Stevens to get in and out of thickets without worrying about scratches all over the stock, etc...plus I had heard that with good optics, that they shot exceptionally well for how inexpensive that they are.  So far, I am not impressed.  I'll let you all know next week if anything better came of the rifle.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic