OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

AR Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AR Question
    Posted: May/04/2010 at 09:06
How many of you have used at "slick" sided AR Upper?  I am thinking of getting a upper receiver that doesn't have a dust guard or forward assist (suicide button).  Anyone used one and had issues or praise for it?  It would be used for a "M4" type build that i am piecing together little by little?
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
angryguns View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angryguns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 09:17
being from chapel hill I don't see a need for a dust cover, but i personally like having one while I am carrying through the woods (you never when you might trip), and if you don't shoot 1000's of rounds without cleaning it there is really no need for it.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 09:18
I don't personally have one, but I have a buddy who does and my biggest dislike with his is it throws the brass way out there because of no deflector.  For him it is fine, but for me who likes to pick up my brass it would be a pain in the butt. 

Another down side at least for me, is if you are out hunting with it and want to load a round quietly you are not able to let the bolt down slow and then finish pushing the bolt forward with the forward assist.  You just gotta slam it home.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 09:23

I wouldn't ever hunt with it and I have another brass deflector that mounts to the rail to group my brass. 

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
angryguns View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angryguns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 09:25

I say go with it if that is the look you like then.

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 09:30
Originally posted by angryguns angryguns wrote:

I say go with it if that is the look you like then.

Thunbs Up
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 09:33
thanks guys I just wanted to make sure there wasn't some fundemental flaw in them that would make them run any different than the others.  (besides the forward assist not beign there)
angryguns View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angryguns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 10:10
no there's not, the only reason those parts were design is for field use or if you are shooting ridiculous amount of rounds and not atlest field stripping the rifle for a cleaning at the range. Just keep up on your PMS with the rifle and it will run like a champ. Another thing is don't use light recoil loads with it where you're not getting the proper pressure for cycling, for without the forward assist that will be a long range day of non-stop clearing the chamber and separating ammo/brass in your brass collector.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 10:29
FWIW, the AR project I just recently completed has a slickside upper.  I think it looks cleaner.  I don't see a huge advantage to having the dust cover, and I can live without the forward assist too.  When hunting, the noise from chambering a round will be brief and won't be done immediately before spotting an animal I'm about to shoot anyway. 

Haven't shot it yet; waiting on the scope.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 11:10
If you dont mind keep me in the loop when you get a chance to put a few rounds downrange Ted.  BTW, what brand did you use?
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 16:08
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

If you dont mind keep me in the loop when you get a chance to put a few rounds downrange Ted.  BTW, what brand did you use?

Upper is DPMS low profile.  Lower is Stiller Predator.  Barrel is 18" mid length, 11 twist SPC-II chambered 6.8 White Oak Armory.  Troy TRX hand guard.  Magpul CTR collapsible stock.  Les Baer bolt carrier.  Stag 6.8 bolt head.  BCM Gunfighter charging handle.  YHM 2 rail gas block.  Smith Vortex flash supressor.  AR Gold trigger unit.  Ergo grip.  GG&G AC-30 (w/ cam lever) integral base/rings.   Stag 25-rd and 10-rd magazines.  Buttons, levers, pins, springs, detents, etc. from various suppliers.

Waiting on SS 1-4X24 scope before technically complete.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 16:29
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Upper is DPMS low profile.  Lower is Stiller Predator.  Barrel is 18" mid length, 11 twist SPC-II chambered 6.8 White Oak Armory.  Troy TRX hand guard.  Magpul CTR collapsible stock.  Les Baer bolt carrier.  Stag 6.8 bolt head.  BCM Gunfighter charging handle.  YHM 2 rail gas block.  Smith Vortex flash supressor.  AR Gold trigger unit.  Ergo grip.  GG&G AC-30 (w/ cam lever) integral base/rings.   Stag 25-rd and 10-rd magazines.  Buttons, levers, pins, springs, detents, etc. from various suppliers.

Waiting on SS 1-4X24 scope before technically complete.

Very nice,  Excellent  sounds like it will be a dandy AR

cowski View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2010 at 08:57
i have a old sp1.it does not have a f-asst but has dust cover.i can not think of a time i would have used the f-asst in the 25 yrs i have had it.but i like the dust cover riding in the truck or tractor.
never corner something meaner than you are jbc
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2010 at 09:17
well i have decided i am going with the slick side, now i have to decide if I want to get a flat top and buy a removable carry handle or get oen with a carry handle.  I guess i need to think about optics first.........
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2010 at 12:47
I would not limit yourself to one with a fixed carry handle.  There is just no need with all the sight options available today.  

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2010 at 12:49
thats what i was thinking.  I leaning towards a flat top with a detachable one.  Looking at aimpoint and ACOG for my optics....... I think both would do better on a carry handle though.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2010 at 12:55
I don't see how they would do better on a carry handle.  I have tried that myself with both red dot and optic and it sucked. 

You will not be able to get any kind of cheek weld.  That is the best part about an AR, you can actually set up the sights so you can achieve a proper cheek weld.  Most rifle do not allow you to do that without adding cheek pieces.

Also the farther the sight line is from the bore the worse.  You have to aim so high when you are with 25 yards it makes it hard to be consistent.  Especially if under stress you will almost always shoot high in those situations. 

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2010 at 12:58
10-4 Didnt know that it was a problem with cheek weld.    No carry handle then.   

Thanks for all the help ST......  Glad we have guys like you on here that can share so muck knowledge my friend.  
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2010 at 13:15
Then you end up with something like this. 

Then have to add something like this to make it actually work.

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2010 at 13:29
yeah i dont' want a riser to have to be added. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic