OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Long eye relief: Monarch vs SII

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote red state Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Long eye relief: Monarch vs SII
    Posted: May/04/2010 at 00:38
Hi All,

I need a scope that has long eye relief and I am looking for something in the 3-9x40 range (slightly bigger or smaller is fine).  I also want it to have some kind of mildot or ballistic reticle.

The eye relief requirement makes me think that the Nikon Monarchs or the Sightron SIIs are my only options.  Are there any other scopes that are known for their generous eye relief?

What are your thoughts on these scopes?  Both seem like really good quality, but which one has better glass?  Is the Big Sky worth the extra money?  Is durability/reliability a concern with either one?

Oh, and by the way, this is going on a general purpose .308.  Some hunting, lots of targets, some rapid fire.
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 07:43
Hey red state

You should also consider the Zeiss Conquest 3x9x40 which has a constant eye relief of 4".  Both the Nikon and the Sightron have variable eye relief, the Sightron more so than the Nikon, but not too much variance like the Leupolds.  IOW, if you were shooting on 9 power the Sightron II 3x9x40 would have an eye relief of 3.6" and it is only 4" when on 3 power.  If you are like me I do most of my shooting at the highest power.

The Zeiss is worth the extra cash although any of these would be good buys.
Guns only have 2 enemies, rust and politicians
red state View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote red state Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 16:57
Thanks for the response.

The Ziess sounds like an amazing scope, but I want some type of ballistic reticle and I think that getting that feature on a Ziess will cost at least an extra $100.  

I have used mildots and BDC and HunterHoldover and I like all of them better than the basic plex reticles that are out there.

I am trying to keep the budget under $400 - any other scopes that I need to consider?

Does anyone have thoughts on how the Monarch and SIIBS match up?

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 17:00
Just a quick question.  Do you understand that most BDCs are on second focal plane scopes and realize the limitations of a BDC in a SFP scope?  Most people think they sound great but don't realize as soon as you change the magnification those hold overs no longer work like they did when they were set up at the range on a certain magnification.  

Edited by supertool73 - May/04/2010 at 17:04
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
red state View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote red state Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 17:41
Yup, I am with you.

I only use the BDCs when at highest magnification.

For example, my 30.06 has an SII with the Hunter Holdover reticle.  I have it set so that the standard crosshair is sighted in at 200 yards.   This puts me about 2.5" high at 100 yards and about 2" low at 250.   So I can shoot minute-of-deer out to 200+ without paying any attention to magnification or drop marks on the reticle.

The hashmarks of the HHR roughly correspond to 300 and 400 yards, but I still have to do more testing with my hunting load to get it finalized at those ranges.  And obviously, I will be cranking up to max magnification when I make a 300+ yard shot.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 17:54
Good deal, I just didn't want you to buy one and then take it out and miss a nice buck or something on account of that. Thunbs Up 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2010 at 05:37
A couple of quick comments:

Sightron S2 has varying eyerelief.
Sightron S2 Big Sky has constant eye relief that is also quite long.  Overall, I think S2 Big Sky is worth the price premium over the regular S2.

ILya
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2010 at 10:44
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

A couple of quick comments:

Sightron S2 has varying eyerelief.
Sightron S2 Big Sky has constant eye relief that is also quite long.  Overall, I think S2 Big Sky is worth the price premium over the regular S2.

ILya
AGREED!
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
red state View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote red state Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2010 at 16:28
So now the only question remaining is:

Is the 3-9x42 SIIBigSky at $433 worth the extra money over the 2.5-10x42 Monarch for $400.?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2010 at 18:39
Originally posted by red state red state wrote:

So now the only question remaining is:

Is the 3-9x42 SIIBigSky at $433 worth the extra money over the 2.5-10x42 Monarch for $400.?

To me, yes.

Generally, if you are really looking for longer eye relief, I would look at Leupold FX3 6x42 and Bushnell Elite 6500 1.25-8x32.

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic