OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

leupold mark 4 choices

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulsfin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: leupold mark 4 choices
    Posted: May/02/2010 at 09:17

Hey guys, I just got back home from overseas and checked out the Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x50. It turns out that they sent me a non hunting turret model when it was advertised as being a HT version so I am returning the item to Amazon Monday. So, I am looking for another scope and after all your advise about the Zeiss being the wrong choice for a Model 700 LTR. I've some what narrowed the choices to either a Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14x50 or the 6.5-20x50. both have 30mm tubes so i should not have to worry about adj range. I also ordered a 15MOA base from SWFA by EGW. Is there any optical difference between the two choices? Is the higher magnification going to lower the scopes brightness? Also, does anyone have any opinions on the tactical milling reticel compared to L's mil-dot? I'm lleaning more towards the lower magnification because the scope seems much smaller than the 6.5-20 and the smaller package seems more inline with the concept behind the 700 LTR.

billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2010 at 09:41
I would probably get the 4.5x14, and choose the TMR. But I don't own a Leopold. 
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2010 at 13:47
depends on the type of shooting you'll be doing, this (bottom) 4x14 with mildot works well on the AR10 eagle, for basically all around anything, and the 6.5 x20 with tmr works for great on the 15 for pop cans at 500 yds. but the tmr is a better set up in either case.
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2010 at 14:22
Those will certainly get the job done and unless you ONLY hunt in "antelope country" type terrain, I'd certainly suggest the 4.5-14 over the 6.5-20.  Both of those scopes have tiny FOV's at the low end compared with other scopes at those power levels.

That said, and I know it's getting to sound like a broken record around here (and everywhere else), if you could just wait...one...more...month...until the Vortex PST's are available you may find them well worth the wait.  Either the 4-16 or 6-24 PST will offer everything the Mark 4's offer (and quite a bit more) at a much lower price.  The thought of spending that much money on the Mark 4's just makes me cringe.
paulsfin View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulsfin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2010 at 22:04
Thanks everyone, I was online yesterday and decided to really just bite the bullet. I cringed at first but then dug deep, Real DEEP and bought a Nightforce 3.5-15 NXS. I just couldn't bring myself to get the Leupold, I'm not sure why. Maybe cause the NF was "just" a couple hundred more. In any case, Any one of the scopes could have been a good coice I think. Cry once and nver worry again... I think that's how someone else put it on the board.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 19:37
ya the nxs will work well also, don't recall being in your orginal question though.
paulsfin View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulsfin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 21:02
Wow Dale,
It looks like you have quite a collection there. Which scope do you like better? I notice you have Leupold and the Nightforce. Yes, it wasn't my original question but as I was trying to decide between the Leupolds and I was almost going to buy the 4.5-14 because the FOV was important to me as well. but somewhere the thought of spending that much cash sort of pushed me to ask, "If I didn't mind spending X dollars, what scope would I really love to own and use and how much more would it cost than the Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14?" Well, the answer was Nightforce because of several reasons.
1. slightly wider range of magnification
2. alot more range of elevation adjustment, 110MOA at 100m
3. it has an illuminated reticle
the 3.5-15x50 NXS with NP-R1 reticle is going on a Remington 700 LTR which as you know has a 20" barrell. My ideal range that I'll be shooting was 100-800m but I wanted the possibility of going 1000- if anything, just to try it out. The rifle will be used primarily for target but I chose the LTR becasue it would also serve as a hunting and camp rifle. It's very small and without optics, has almost the same pointing charactertistics of say an M16A4, it's a little barrell heavy to compare to an M4 but weight is about the same as an M4.

What have you noticed between Leupold and Nightforce scopes? I plan to purchase a "reach out and touch something rifle in the future", probably be 300 WSM custom built with some really long range optics on top of it.
Those are some fine rifles and optics you have!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic