OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for Marlin 1895SBL in .45-70

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TXGearman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for Marlin 1895SBL in .45-70
    Posted: April/29/2010 at 22:21
I'm headed up to Alaska for some hunting with my brother this year, Moose and possibly Bear. I've got a Marlin 1895SBL which holds 6+1 rounds of .45-70 that I think will do the job in the densely wooded, rainy, cold areas where we'll be hunting.

I am going around and around on scope choice and I'm hoping to get some good ideas from ya'll. My eyesight isn't what it used to be so I want something with magnification but I won't be shooting at anything past 200 yards and there is some chance that the animal I'm shooting at will be much closer and closing fast. Here's what I'm looking at:

- Bushnell Elite 4200 1.25-4 x 24 with Rainguard
- Millet Tactical DMS Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 1-4x24mm illuminated Circle Dot Reticls
- Vortex Viper PST Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 1-4x 24mm Illuminated TMCQ Reticle Matte
- Leupold VX-II Rifle Scope 1-4x 20mm Duplex Reticle Matte
- Leupold VX-3 Rifle Scope 1.5-5x 20mm Duplex Reticle Matte

Or if I really want to break open the piggy bank:
- Valdada IOR Pitbull Tactical Rifle Scope 35mm Tube 1x:4x 32mm Switch Power 1/10 Mil Adjustments Illuminated CQB Reticle Matte with Medium Picatinny-Style Rings

The scope needs to be tough, I shoot quite often but I only get up to AK once a year so when not hooked up to the Marlin (we do get big hogs here in TX) the scope could be doing double duty on my LMT Defender 5.56 Gas Piston rifle that I use for IDPA 3-gun (the EOTech just doesn't cut it for the long shots).

I've seen posts on most of these scopes but mostly in relation to 5.56 rifles, any feedback related to these scopes and high-recoil rifles is greatly appreciated.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - April/30/2010 at 20:45
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2010 at 22:23
i would strongly suggest the 4200 for the rainguard alone. i had a 3x9 4200 elite on my .375H&H and it worked wonderfully. i swapped it out for a 2x7 vortex viper this year, will see how that goes.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2010 at 23:19
If there are teddy bears where you a going you want to have 100% reliability. For this reason alone stay away from using batteries. The 4200 should serve you well. Yet IMO you will be very happy and best served with the Trijicon. When you consider the cost of the trip, do you really want to risk success or your life over a few $ and not having the better scope in a pinch. Good luck on your trip. Happy Hunting.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
TXGearman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TXGearman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2010 at 00:21
Yes, we'll have some company, here's a nice reminder next to my size 10 1/2. Thanks for the input, both the 4200 and the Trijicon are on my short list. Any word on the availability of the new SS 1-4?

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2010 at 20:27
Generally, Trijicon is your best bet.  However, its eye relief may be a touch short for hard-kicking 45-70.

Perhaps, you would be better served with a cheaper 1" version of the Accupoint: 1.25-4x24.

It is about $90 cheaper and has much longer eye relief.

Another good option is Burris Euro Diamond:

or Leupold VX-3:

Personally, I would probably go with Trijicon Accupoint 1.25-4x24.

Whichever scope you choose, I would make sure that you fire sufficient number of rounds with it (before you make the trip) to make sure it holds up.

Alternatively, if you are really paranoid, you could have a simple fixed power scope set-up as backup just in case.

ILya
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2010 at 20:42
  Good advice.  Maybe something like this for a back up:

"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2010 at 20:51
http://swfa.com/XS-Sight-Systems-Scope-Mount-P1523.aspx
XS Sight Systems Scope Mount XS Sight Systems Scope Mount
Stock # - 282141A0951
  • Marlin 1895
  • Matte
$49.95
Leupold 2.5x28 FX-II Scout Scope Duplex Leupold 2.5x28 FX-II Scout Scope
Stock # - LEU58810
  • Matte
  • Duplex
  • 1"
  • Multi-Coat 4 Lens System
$299.95
Burris 2.75x20 Scout Scope Heavy Plex Burris 2.75x20 Scout Scope
Stock # - 200269
  • Matte
  • Heavy Plex
  • 1"
$249.95
Trijicon 1x42 Reflex II Dual Illuminated Sight Trijicon 1x42 Reflex II Dual Illuminated Sight
Stock # - RX34
  • 4.5 MOA Amber Dot
  • Free Lens Pen w/ Purchase
$409.95
Aimpoint 9000L 30mm Red Dot Sight 2 MOA Dot Aimpoint 9000L 30mm Red Dot Sight
Stock # - AIM11419
  • Matte
  • 2 MOA Dot
  • 30mm
  • Free Aimpoint Bikini Lens Cover w/ Purchase
$389.95
Using the XS system you can add a SCOUT rail in front of the reciever and any of the above sights would work and be very fast to acquire the target and entirely eliminate the issue of eye relief being too short on a heavy recoil type rifle.  I really like the Trijicon scopes and in low light and dense brush I find an illuminated optic to be helpful and very fast to acquire the target.  One should realize that  2 moa covers 2 inches at 100 yds and 4 inches at 200 yds where 4.5moa covers 4.5 inches at 100 yds and 9 inches at 200 yds. Considering the trajectory of a 45-70 I believe I feel pretty confident that I could hit any large Alaskan Animal with a 9 inch dot at 200 yds wiht a little practice but it wouldn't do for hunting bunnies at 200.  The traditional scout scopes should both be quite tough and bright.  One might be well advised to take both an illuminated and a scout scope both in quick release La Rue mounts and both sighted in before hand.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - April/30/2010 at 21:04

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
TXGearman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TXGearman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2010 at 21:02
Thanks for the advice everyone! I like the idea of a fixed power backup; sometimes a little paranoia is a good thing when it's several days to the nearest gun store. 

Can anyone recommend a particular set of recoil proof rings for a 30mm tube? The 1895SBL has an XS Rail and Ghost ring backup sights, it would be nice to have a set of rings that allowed the use of the iron sights, JIC. 
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2010 at 21:10
La Rue Tactical makes the best quick release.  GG&G makes a good one for 30 mm tube scopes.  ARMS and  Leupold  and Warne, and others  also make rings that would work.
GG&G Long Rifle Accessory GG&G Long Rifle Accessory
Stock # - GGG1199
  • Accucam Quick Detach Base with 30mm Rings
  • For Bolt Guns
$199.95
GG&G Miscellaneous Accessory GG&G Miscellaneous Accessory
Stock # - GGG1392
  • 30mm to 1" Ring Reducer
$14.95
GG&G Trijicon Accessory GG&G Trijicon Accessory
Stock # - GGG1193
  • Accucam Trijicon Reflex Mount
$119.95

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2010 at 21:20
Leupold QRW 1 Leupold QRW 1" Rings
Stock # - LEU49852
  • Gloss
  • Low
$49.95
Warne Maxima Quick Detach 1 Warne Maxima Quick Detach 1" Rings
Stock # - 200LM2
  • Matte
  • Low
$49.95
Fixed rings 
TPS Tactical Scope 1 TPS Tactical Scope 1" Rings
Stock # - TPS30500
  • Low (.785")
  • Alloy Steel
  • Mil-STD 1913 (Picatinny)
$64.95

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2010 at 21:22
TPS Tactical Scope 30mm Rings TPS Tactical Scope 30mm Rings
Stock # - TPS30580
  • Low (.925")
  • Aluminum Alloy
  • Mil-STD 1913 (Picatinny)
$62.95
These 30 mm would be good wiht the aimpoint.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2010 at 07:30
I'd go with the Rainguard!!!   Thunbs Up

Edited by Ed Connelly - May/01/2010 at 07:33
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
YakAk View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YakAk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2010 at 08:40
Texasgearman,

The 45-70 is my favorite bear "protection" gun I use when kicking around in thick bear country.  I use open sites only.  Then again I am not using it for hunting but only at a last resort.

Have a good hunt,
Steve
TXGearman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TXGearman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2010 at 20:50
Thanks for the feedback everyone, it really helped to narrow down the choices. It's off the the gun store to check out the Bushnell Elite 4200 and the Trijicon.

I'll bring a Leopold FXII Scout Scope for a backup (along with the XS iron sights) with good quick detachable mounts (looking at the GG&G Accucam) for both.

Two scopes, my lead sled and a lot of ammo will make for a fun day at the range.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2010 at 20:58
im thinking you will like the trijicon's glass, not that the 4200 is any slouch. 
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
powderburn View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 06:03
I would probably go with one of the Leupolds or the 4200 of the ones you mentioned. For open sights I would consider a williams 5D with a ghost ring or large aperture.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic