OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Need Scope for M1A

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71_super_nova Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need Scope for M1A
    Posted: April/28/2010 at 13:14
So I just received a springfield M1A loaded and would like to take advantage of the match grade components. I currently shoot bolt rifles, nothing much over 300 yards. I would like to be able to shoot 500 to 1000. Looking at the SS 10x non HD, and HD is there much difference?
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2010 at 13:43
Yep there is a lot of difference.  It is a better optic in every way.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2010 at 14:12
M1's can be a challenge to scope.  The action requires that a mount be fairly high above the ejection port, making cheek weld an issue.

Plan on spending at least $200 on a decent mount, and plan to add some manner of cheek piece.

After that, be aware that good glass always beats more magnification.  If the budget is limited, I'd set the gun up for the 300 yard shot and be ready to make the 1,000 yard shot if you must.

Every aspect of the new 10X HD (glass, turrets, controls) is an improvement over the older 10X.  Don't take that the wrong way, the old 10X is a great scope for $300; however, the new HD is a great scope, and remarkable for its price tag.

Finally, most M1s I've played with were, even the "accurate" ones, 1 MOA guns, at best.  Don't expect bolt gun accuracy from the match M1 without allot of time, effort, and tweaking.

Good luck!

Edited by Rancid Coolaid - April/28/2010 at 14:14
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2010 at 14:54
If you have the coin then the HD would be the optically better than the Standard and its easier to use. But I would also look at the SS 3-9.  Any of them would have the adjustment needed to get you out there.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2010 at 18:13
Don't waste time scoping an M1A in any grade unless you're changing the stock to something made to accomodate the higher sight mounting.  Adding a 3 inch cheekpiece won't do any good either, the ergonomics are just plain wrong.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2010 at 19:11
Scope it if you must,  of the two you should select the HD model.    I suggest you leave it alone some rifles were never ment to have scopes this is one of them.   It can be done but its painful.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - June/05/2010 at 12:30

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
71_super_nova View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71_super_nova Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2010 at 09:01
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

M1's can be a challenge to scope.  The action requires that a mount be fairly high above the ejection port, making cheek weld an issue.

Plan on spending at least $200 on a decent mount, and plan to add some manner of cheek piece.

After that, be aware that good glass always beats more magnification.  If the budget is limited, I'd set the gun up for the 300 yard shot and be ready to make the 1,000 yard shot if you must.

Every aspect of the new 10X HD (glass, turrets, controls) is an improvement over the older 10X.  Don't take that the wrong way, the old 10X is a great scope for $300; however, the new HD is a great scope, and remarkable for its price tag.

Finally, most M1s I've played with were, even the "accurate" ones, 1 MOA guns, at best.  Don't expect bolt gun accuracy from the match M1 without allot of time, effort, and tweaking.

Good luck!

The scope mount I have cost about $300. I was looking a a new stock with cheek piece, $600 to $700 for the one I would want. I might just shoot it the way it is without a scope, and save some coin.....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2010 at 09:43
The peep sites can be mighty accurate in the right hands (and with the right eyes.)

The gun is a pain in the ass to scope, voice of experience.

xk319 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xk319 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 20:09
TA11J308G on and arms 18/gdi r-com acog mount.  Works nicely.  My small cheek riser is off in this pic.

Risasi View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Risasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 23:00
I'm with the general consensus, they are a PITA to scope. I've chewed up a couple of the side mounts from Springfield, and eventually went back to irons. Only to find out the previous owner was some magoo, who had changed the front blade to a lower version. This made it shoot about two feet high. (I'm sure it was great for longer range matches) 
Long story short I cut the bottom off of the rear aperture and gave the rifle to a friend that moved to the sticks. 

If I were to scope an M1A again I'd go with a forward mount forearm rail and a lower power scope with more eye relief...with a quick detach scope ring setup. Two reasons; 
1. This would give me a little more eye relief, and still be practical for most any LER scope or red dot I wanted to put on there. And I'll be honest, even though I had a NM rifle I wouldn't consider using it past about 600. Any 1.5-6x to 3-9x scope will easily cover anything I might want to do with such a rifle. Also, if I want irons, that's the reason for the quick detach rings.
2. The ability to use stripper clips. I found it a lot easier to pack some extra clips than spare mags. That gives you a full power rifle without taking too much of a weight hit.   
snewsom2997 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snewsom2997 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2010 at 09:56
Just had my scope mounted by a local gunsmith, Using a M1a Standard, SA Gen 3 Base, TPS 35mm super low W Ring, and and IOR 2-12x SPARTAN Scope. Took the gunsmith a few hours to fit the mount to the receiver but other than that I have had no problems. The Scope and Mount have stayed true through over 100 rds. If I had to do it again I would use a Sadlak or SEI Mount just because 35mm Weaver Rings are a pain to locate and Picatinney are more common. I have also had to add a Blackhawk Cheekrest, the one with the rectangular chunck of foam, as well as add a little extra height to by adding 4 4" by 1/8" foam padding underneath the Cheek rest to raise it another 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch, I have a watermelon head so the cheek rest by itself was not enough to get a proper cheek weld.
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2010 at 06:07

I own both.....hands down the HD is a better scope,like above the regular 10x is still a steel!
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2010 at 07:56

It is a lot easier with the HD to  make fine adjustments when re setting the tactical knobs because they have gear type teeth between the knob and the internal post. On the old style they knobs are friction held on by three hex screws so it can be a challenge to make a fine adjutsment when re-setting the knob.  The difference in the glass is huge and the difference having knobs that correspond to the mil dots being tenth mil clicks on the HD sure makes it easy for the HD to be brought on target more quickly.  Want 4.3mil of correction dial in .3 and hold over on the 4th mil dot. Really nice to have mil mil system especially when sighting in.  Polk a  hole in the target then use the mildots to measure how far it is high or low and right or left and that gives you what you need to dial in in mil then you dial it in and next shot is on the X.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2010 at 08:58
A lot of fine M1A's posted, so I hate to be Mr. wet blanket, but at what point are just getting a really clear picture of your crappy groups? By all means, put whatever scope you can afford on any gun you want and shoot it and have fun, but at some point you will surpass the rifles' abilities.   Hiding
If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2010 at 11:07
Don't be a hater!

My SOCOM was for pigs, not shooting groups on paper, just groups of pigs - and at that, it was exceptional.

I do tend to agree that M1s are  >1MOA guns, unless theya re very expensive and very carefully handled.

Edited by Kickboxer - May/31/2010 at 11:55
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2010 at 19:14

Fine rifle for piggies!  Big Smile

I use my mini-30 for them with good results. I just don't see putting a SS10 HD on a rifle that is not capable of utilizing that level of optics. I wouldn't put one on my mini 14 or 30 or even my Winchester model 100  "not at all a vote against the scope, it's just like putting a 180 mph speedometer in a prius"

Not hating on the rifle, it does what it was designed to do and does it trouble free. In fact if anyone has one they don't want anymore and wants to give me....... This Much

If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2010 at 22:14
A decent MIA in match form is a 1 moa rifle.
Thing is, it's a 1 moa rifle all the way to the end of the range because the guy who owns one of these most likely takes the time to learn it well.

Now on the original subject of scoping one of these things, I would not invest any time or money into it because of the ergonomics of the issue stock.  Those are made for the issue sights and a scope on one of those is actually a detriment to accuracy as the shooter has to balance his chin on the stock while tucking the rifle butt under his armpit to get anytning close to a decent sight picture.
Go to an aftermarket stock where the heel of the stock is in line with the bore and things really change for the better.   My 0.02c, which is worthless in this economy is to spend on the stock, then spend on the scope.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic