OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Long distance shooting-Choice of scope?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Long distance shooting-Choice of scope?
    Posted: April/26/2010 at 10:06
Hi... Newbie here, with my first question.

Two days ago I bought an AR-30 in Lapua 338 magnum. This is for long distance target shooting, for fun.  I do not plan to enter competitions or do any kind of hunting with this rifle.

I can shoot up to 600 yards at my local range, but there is a range where I could shoot up to 1200 yards within three hours of my home. Most of my shooting will be done locally from 300 to 600 yards. My local club plans to open a 1000 yards range, and I hope they will do so soon!

Considering my budget limit is $1800 for both a rifle scope and a spotting scope, what are my choices?  Would it make sense to buy a rifle scope with variable power and high magnification so I would not have to buy a separate spotting scope?

Any suggestions welcome.

JLC

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2010 at 10:39
First things first, Welcome to the OT and wow, great purchase.  

One thing to keep in mind is that will be a heck of a kicker on a scope and you'll need a good quality scope that can hang on.  Obviously some of the most durable scopes on the market are the SWFA Super Snipers -
Of those I would probably go with the 10X HD because of the gun and the difference in teh sight picture it will make at those yardages.   I will leave the variable to others, i dont' have a lot of knowledge on ones that will be able to hold up to the lapua's recoil.
As far as spotters,
This has good reviews and seems to fit the bill of what you are wanting.

One suggestion you may want to think about is spending most of you budget only on one item.  Like go ahead and buy the best you can afford on a scope and worry with a spotter when you build up funds again or the opposite.  You could get the standard SS 16x (which would work well) and then spend the rest on a good spotter then when fund are better get a nicer scope.   This way you would have two very nice items instead of two that just will work......
I'm no expert and I am sure there will be a lot of goo suggestions.  
Again welcome to the OT!

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
JLC View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2010 at 15:54
Thank you for the response and the links.  I will buy the spotting scope, still thinking about the rifle scope!

JLC
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2010 at 17:40
Those AR-30s have such a good brake on them that recoil will not be that bad.  I have shot them and my 700 VS .308 had more felt recoil. 

Personally with a .338 I would look at a variable with more power than just 10x.  The Sightron S3 6-24 would be a good choice for you IMO.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2010 at 18:17
10x is a bit low on the power range for a past 1000 yd rifle. The Sightron S3 is a nice scope but I would forget the spotter for now and put a Zeiss Diavari rifle scope on it.  
Zeiss 6-24x56 Victory Diavari 30mm  at 1,999.95 is pretty close to your price range.
If you are locked into having a spotting scope plus a rifle scope consider this for the scope because at $1299.95  it will leave you some money left over to buy the spotter.

I might give this low dollar Zen Ray spotter a try because really good spotting scopes are dam expensive and even with a top end spotter you wont see the bullet holes at 600 unless someone in the pit is marking them wiht large cardboard spotter markers and if that is the case this will do you.
Nightforce would also be a good scope choice as would U.S. Optics

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - April/26/2010 at 18:19

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
John Wilson View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Wilson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2010 at 00:06
It's better to buy rifle scopes with variable power & high magnification suits to your budget.You can find these stuff with cheaper price by visiting us.

8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2010 at 04:52
I would suggest buy one decent piece of equipment at a time, otherwise you will be buying again.
Long range shooting puts your equipment and your shooting skills to the test. When things do not add up on the target the first thing you will blame is your equipment ( a normal human response). From this point you will start the equipment and gadget race, untill you are satisfied that it is you and not your equipment. Trust me on this one, I've been there.
So buy the best first time around.

I would certainly advise a variable in the 6-20 or 8-25 range. I would take a long hard look at the Nightforce range of scopes.
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2010 at 05:20
Originally posted by 8shots 8shots wrote:

I would suggest buy one decent piece of equipment at a time, otherwise you will be buying again.
Long range shooting puts your equipment and your shooting skills to the test. When things do not add up on the target the first thing you will blame is your equipment ( a normal human response). From this point you will start the equipment and gadget race, untill you are satisfied that it is you and not your equipment. Trust me on this one, I've been there.
So buy the best first time around.

I would certainly advise a variable in the 6-20 or 8-25 range. I would take a long hard look at the Nightforce range of scopes.
Excellent
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
JLC View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2010 at 07:48
Thanks for all the suggestions... After much research online, I ordered a Nightforce NSX 8-32 with the NP-R2 reticle.

JLC
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2010 at 07:56
Originally posted by JLC JLC wrote:

Thanks for all the suggestions... After much research online, I ordered a Nightforce NSX 8-32 with the NP-R2 reticle.

JLC

Way to go. You will not regret the purchase and I hope you have lots of fun with your rig!!!
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2010 at 09:10
Originally posted by 8shots 8shots wrote:

Great advice. My personal experience has been that as you double the distance you quadruple the price. You can become a very good shot under 300 yards with any decent rig, enough ammo and range time, and attention to technique. By that I mean under $800 for a rifle, scope and bipod. Yet to reliably take shots out at 600 or more requires some investment. At minimum, a rifle that shoots sub-MOA and a scope that tracks reliably with good-to-excellent glass. It doesn't hurt to consider things like a chronograph and a decent rangefinder. But that stuff adds up. It's not hard over time to sink a few grand into it.
Reaction time is a factor...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic