OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Would Love Some Recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allusionart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Would Love Some Recommendations
    Posted: April/24/2010 at 21:33
Good evening. Nice forum you all have here...been peeking at it for a while now.

Just picked up a Tikka T3 Lite SS in 300 WSM. (Lefty here if that makes a difference to any of you)
Looking at a bunch of options for scopes and need some suggestions on scopes and rings.

Mostly going to be Whitetail hunting, woods and open field.

Vortex Viper 3-9x40      14.2 oz
Bushnell Elite 4200 3-9x40   13 oz
Leupold VX-3 3.5-10 x40 12.6 oz 
Leupold 3-9x33 VXII Ultralight 8.8 oz

I see that a lot of people here are particular to the Bushnell 4200 series....you go to other forums and people are in love with Leupold, etc., etc.

Really excited about this rifle, life long NRA member. I have been hunting with a .300 WBY since childhood, and just looking to shed some weight while walking around out there (reason for the tikka and seemed like an incredible value)

Anybody have the Leupold Ultralight series? 

Please feel free to suggest items not listed....looking to keep the scope under 500- been reading about Vortex, seems like a nice little WI company thats making a hell of a product but lacking the name recognition that others have.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions, and again, nice forum here.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2010 at 21:37
i have a 2x7 vortex viper on my .375H&H love it, i have a 3x9 4200 elite on my .300wby, love it also. i wish the 4200 had more eye relief, other than that its a nice scope. the viper has the extra eye relief but lacks rainguard. i would pass on the leupolds. give vortex a chance, they are a great company and the people who work there make sure you are happy before they are happy.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2010 at 21:48
For hunting ..the 4200 would be my first choice..then the Vortex ( close second )
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2010 at 22:19

Welcome

No experience with the ultra-light from Leupold. They do make some nice scopes, and I've got nothing against them. I am loyal to the dollar and feel like right now for the money the best scope for a hunting rifle would be the 4200 at $255   

Having said that I've never shot a T3 light in .300 WSM but if I were to do so I might be happier with a little extra eye relief. If you're accustomed to the recoil of the .300 WBY it likely is not an issue for you though. 

The Vortex scopes are popular with us here because they are a good product. Pyro uses his 2-7 on his Elephant gun. Wink  He knows good gear and he's happy with it.

Anything on your short list would likely make you smile. One option not on your list that is small and light is the Burris Timberline. It's clear, has good eye relief, and is on sale for cheap.

http://swfa.com/Burris-3-9x32-Timberline-Rifle-Scope-P11002.aspx

I've also heard good things about the Team Primos Nikon in 3-9 x 40 which if I understand correctly is an older Monarch that has been rebadged. 

If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
allusionart View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allusionart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2010 at 09:49
Well, I got antsy and went ahead and got the Vortex and the Talley Lightweights (low).

I was reading some earlier posts and people seem pretty happy with the Talleys and agree generally that lower is better. (saw one that had a 42 mounted on a Tikka with lows)

So I guess we will see...

bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2010 at 10:31
Sounds like it will be a great set-up. BTW, welcome to OT.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2010 at 11:10
Post a pic when you get it all buttoned up.  Thunbs Up
If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
allusionart View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allusionart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2010 at 13:46
Well yah...
dallas77 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dallas77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2010 at 17:29
I have several Leupold's I just bought my first Bushnell 4200 and I like it very much. I think that the 4200 is as good as my VX-lll.
brodeur272 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brodeur272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2010 at 20:48
Don't overlook the Sightron SIIs or Big Sky.  I have some SIIs and really like them (not as much as my Euro scopes, but more than my Bushnell's).
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic