OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

pitted rifle refinishing question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: pitted rifle refinishing question
    Posted: April/24/2010 at 05:46

I have a Model 74 Winchester 22 that has been hanging around in the family many many years (my grandfather bought it new).
It was very badly neglected and was rusted quite badly so I got it and cleaned it up as good as I could. It is so bad that the metal but plate is rusted away around the edges. I found a replacement at Numrich Gun Parts for not a lot and am waiting for it to get here.
The bore and chamber is very good surprisingly. The only thing I can think of for this is the wax off the bullets must have protected the barrel.
The rifle shoots very good with good reliability.
I refinished the stock and was going to use a cold blue product to refinish the barreled action but it is quite badly pitted. I was wondering if any one could recommend something to fill the pits so I could refinish it with DuraCoat or some thing similar.

GetSome View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GetSome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2010 at 22:38
Depends on how bad the pitting is,  I had one that was pretty bad and had a guy bead blast it.  He had to take it down until the serial # and model info was almost gone, but after a ceracoat job it turned out sweet.  I don't know anything that you could fill the pits with and then coat over, but admittedly don't know a whole lot either.  You might call around and see if there are any local shops that would bead blast it, I think aluminum oxide abraisive blasting would be your best bet, but good luck finding a local guy to do it.  
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2010 at 10:00
I agree with bead-blasting something that bad. Once it's clean, you can blue or Duracoat it and it should look pretty fair. I'd go with a professional hot-blue for large parts or a whole firearm.
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2010 at 16:04
Ronk correct me if I'm wrong but, isn't there risk of making waves or uneven low spots with bead blasting so much metal away? I recently removed pitting and was able to blend the depression thru the length of the barrel with a file. Yes the pitting was very bad. A very work intensive repair. For removing pitting from receivers I have used a palm sander with 120 grit and cleaning that with very fine paper and steel wool. Then a good blueing is possible. If he wants to coat the action or use a bakeing laquer he can Clean very well the pitted areas and fill with JB weld. After letting the JB weld cure for its recommended time then use a palm sander with the very fine paper and finish with steel wool. Then clean everything with a quality solvent or degreaser and apply what ever coating he wants.
Good Luck with your repair BobC.
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2010 at 17:09
[QUOTE=Sgt. D]Ronk correct me if I'm wrong but, isn't there risk of making waves or uneven low spots with bead blasting so much metal away? QUOTE]

Oh absolutely!
 I was under the impression that a lot of the metal was already gone from the effects of the corrosion, and that this was more of a salvage operation than a restoration. Perhaps I spoke too quickly.
  Some judgement is required by all means, and junker "sample" parts with various finishes is a good idea on a valuable gun.
BobC View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2010 at 19:21
It's not a restoration just trying to make it look a little more presentable. I think I am just going to clean it up and use some DuraCoat on it. It's a shooter not a collectible. Thanks for the ideas.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic