OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

4X and 6X hunting scopes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4X and 6X hunting scopes
    Posted: April/22/2010 at 17:18
  I'm beginning to off the scopes I don't use and am looking for a decent (particularly in low light) fixed X scope in 4X or 6X to put and leave on my .300 for all around hunting. Don't want a tactical type scope or ranging reticle.  Not much out there:

(really rather not go 30mm but...........)

Was planning on a 4X Conquest but they're discontinued. 

So out of the ones above or any I may have missed,what do y'all think?
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2010 at 17:29
I have the Leupold 4x33 and to be honest and not that impressed with the glass quality.  It is okay, but I would much prefer a little better.  I have a fixed 4x IOR tactical scope that has much better glass and it is much nicer to use.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2010 at 18:10
  Wonder if the same glass would be in the IOR 4X hunting model.
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2010 at 18:13
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2010 at 18:17
  Yepper, I'll be huntin' rabbits with it to,Ed!!
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2010 at 18:21
set on a fixed earl or would like a 1-4x be intriguing?
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2010 at 18:57
  Would definitely like a fixed but I may consider a 2-7 Viper.  Truth is,on this rifle I just don't need a variable.  I had a 4X El Paso Weaver on it for a few yrs and LIKED it.  Never felt under or over powered.  Ready to step into something more up to date. 
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2010 at 19:28
I have a FX-II 4X that I've always felt was pretty adequate, including the glass. One thing I like about it is being able to screw in the various lens filters that Leupold offers. They're handy for protecting the scope glass and are easier to clean. I never noticed much effect on light transmission, given the large exit pupil. I had a whitetail doe in my sights once 5 minutes before the end of legal shooting light. She was under dark pines and surrounded by dark willows on the other side of a creek. Behind her was an east-facing slope and the sun was setting so the sky was still very bright. The doe was in a very poorly lit area and the contrast of the sky to boot but I had no problem making the shot.

Otherwise, given the discontinuation of the Conquest 4X I'd consider the IOR. I'm sure the glass is nicer. I don't think I'd care for anything 6X just because of the limited field of view. 
Reaction time is a factor...
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2010 at 07:59
S&B 4 X 36... if ya have lots-o-cash!
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2010 at 08:20
  YEP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!       nope  Sad

Anyone got opinions on the 6x Leupolds and/or the 6x Big Sky?

Edited by 300S&W - April/23/2010 at 08:43
brodeur272 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brodeur272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2010 at 10:31
If you look around on the web, you can find a 4x Sightron SII.  The SIIs are good scopes for the $$.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2010 at 17:32
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

YEP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!       nope  Sad

Anyone got opinions on the 6x Leupolds and/or the 6x Big Sky?

Both are very good scopes with excellent eyerelief and image quality.

I think S2 Big Sky is ever so slightly sharper, but FX-3 is available with more reticle options.

For usage that involves low light, I would probably go for FX-3 with Heavy Duplex reticle.

Normal Duplex reticles in Sightron and Leupold are, I think, of very similar dimensions, but I can't easily check sine Leupold does not list reticle dimensions on their website.

ILya
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2010 at 17:33
Forgot to add, that if you can live with somewhat shorter eyerelief, IOR 6x42 with #4 reticle would be my choice over both Sightron and Leupold.  I have this exact IOR and I am quite happy with it.

ILya
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2010 at 17:36
Originally posted by brodeur272 brodeur272 wrote:

If you look around on the web, you can find a 4x Sightron SII.  The SIIs are good scopes for the $$.

" Blasphemy!!!"  

Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2010 at 10:14
  THANKS for the info,guys.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic