OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rimfire / Airgun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for 22lr

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sponxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for 22lr
    Posted: April/22/2010 at 16:58

I am looking for a scope for my CZ 452 American in 22lr.
I would love to find a decent scope, either AO or parallax set at 50 or 75yds, magnification up to 12x or so.

I was wondering about the quality of the Bushnell Sportsman 4-12x40mm, with AO. looks nice for a ~90$ scope.
any other suggestions, maybe with some sort of ballistic compensator like the BDC on vortex or ballistic plex on Burris?

Thanks!

Sponxx View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sponxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2010 at 17:00
forgot to say that it will be mainly for paper punching at ranges from 25-100yds. Will see very very little field use for hunting.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2010 at 18:38

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
T191032 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T191032 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2010 at 18:59
I have four of the Bushnell Sportsman 4-12x40mm with AO scopes, bought locally for $56+ tax/each.  Decent lower-end Bushnell scope. Made in China.  Got 'em on Ruger 10/22 and a Savage Mk IIG, plus two on Crosman 1377 16" barrel carbines.  I have a Dusk & Dawn 4-12x40mm A/O which spurred interest in them, liked the increased optical clarity the larger objective offers over a 32mm version. 

Note :
The link to the scope above to the Vortex scope, looks like it would be a good paper-shooting target scope for you too consider!
It ain't like it used to be but, eh, it'll do.
brodeur272 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brodeur272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2010 at 10:32
Look at the Nikon Prostaff line.
Sponxx View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sponxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2010 at 14:29
Thanks for the links. I will for now just keep my budget on the cheap side (I can afford more expensive scopes), but I am saving money for other things now. I know I will end up upgrading in the long run, the Vortex Diamonback4-12x40mm with BDC looks very nice, but for a rimfire I would like to have AO too. I know the more bells and whistles anything has the less quality you get for the same price....

Any word on the bushnell banner series?
Thanks!
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2010 at 10:23

12X?????      Six I can understand. 

That's like the feller who wanted to know if 20 X was enough for shooting rabbits at 100 yards.  I used to shoot rabbits at 150 yards with open sights!!!!!        Stare

six to seven power is way plenty.........at 100 yards...
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2010 at 10:41
maybe he wants to shoot flys?
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2010 at 10:58
So long as we are talking daylight target shooting I see no problem going with a 16x or 20x Super Sniper they have adjustable parallax and target knobs.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2010 at 16:35
that 6-24 is huge for a 22 but hey why not... I have done that and i still like a 10x or 16x at times...Heck I have gone even further... below top rifle is ruger 10/22 1:7 twist CUSTOM Douglas w/ ops inc. M-40, M24 CAN FAJEN STOCK topped by SUPER SNIPER 16x 30MM...The rifle at bottom is also  Ruger 10/22 with a 1:7 supressed barrel with a 6-32X 30MM... EITHER IS PERFECT FOR 22LR...

Edited by 338LAPUASLAP - May/02/2010 at 16:36
No one
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2010 at 21:04

I like to use as small objective as I can on a 22lr. The reason is the scope offset gets real tricky with the higher offset that comes by having a larger objective. On the close shots. If you sight it in close when you go to the longer ranges you will be hitting high. If you sight long then at the close shots you may hit an inch or more low. The smaller the scope the lower the mount, less of the problem.

Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2010 at 21:36
i like to have iron sights for close shots less than say 100-150yrds...
No one
stork23raz View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 10:59

How much would you be willing to spend?

And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 10:28
Leupold Shooter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leupold Shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2010 at 07:10
We shoot USBR & NRA 50yd and mini-Palma 100yd targets in our club's rimfire league. Several shooters use the CZ-452/3 models in both American and Varmit configuration. Invariably, they start with a less expensive scope like you and work their way up the food-chain of scopes to something good. The result is that they spend $100 or $150 that they could have used to purchase the Leupold AO or Bushnell Elite or other quality piece of glass to start with. If you are serious about target shooting and have a seriously accurate rifle like a CZ-452/3 then you should get it a serious piece of glass to allow it (and you) perform to its capability.
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2010 at 20:16
I tend to agree with Leupold Shooter you are usually better off spending more the first time and getting a better quality scope with nice glass like a Bushnell 4200 or Leupold wiht AO.
Bushnell 4-16x40 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope Multi-X Bushnell 4-16x40 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope
Stock # - 424164SF
  • Matte
  • Multi-X
  • 1"
  • Rainguard
  • Side Focus
  • Free Fleece Pullover (Mail-In Coupon)
$419.95
Add Bushnell 4-16x40 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope to Cart 

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2010 at 20:19
Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Competition Hunter Riflescope Target Dot Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Competition Hunter Riflescope
Stock # - LEU66825
  • Matte
  • Target Dot
  • 1"
  • Adjustable Objective
  • Xtended Twilight Lens System
$469.95 

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
SD Dog View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2010 at 14:41
Originally posted by Ed Connelly Ed Connelly wrote:

12X?????      Six I can understand. 

That's like the feller who wanted to know if 20 X was enough for shooting rabbits at 100 yards.  I used to shoot rabbits at 150 yards with open sights!!!!!        Stare

six to seven power is way plenty.........at 100 yards...

Marlin 39a?  Dad has one, currently resides at my place.  Way too much fun with open sights.  Accurate devil.
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2010 at 17:55
Nice rifle. I used to have a 453 Varmint. Anyway for general hunting/plinking use I suggest a Weaver VR7 2.5-7x28 rimfire scope. For target shooting the cheapest scope that I would consider is a Muller APV 4.5-14x40 w/AO. Quality wise it's not in Weaver's league but it's the best bang for the buck in an AO scope and really popular with rimfire match shooters on a tight budget. The high-end choice is either a Weaver V16 4-16x42 w/AO or the V24 6-24x42 w/AO. The V24 can be had with a Varmint-Plex reticle which is a really good reticle.
NRA, SAF, & CRPA life member
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill. ;)
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2010 at 20:28
I've been using a bushnell 6500 2.5-16x44 on my favorite .22bolt,I like that I can shoot out to 200yds & down to 10 yds.It is more flexable than the 4200 but the glass is the same in both scopes.Save for a good piece of glass & you won't cry but once!
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
stork23raz View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2010 at 11:02
I recently put  SS10x on my Savage. I think its great. prob not the best  for squirrel hunting though since its fixed. But for paper best bang for the buck.
And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 10:28
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic