OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Nikon 3-9x40 Team Primos

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubby11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nikon 3-9x40 Team Primos
    Posted: April/21/2010 at 16:56
Looks like it is still available for $199 (no more jackets?) at http://swfa.com/Nikon-3-9x40-Team-Primos-Riflescope-P47059.aspx

I am about to pull the trigger on this.  I understand this is basically a Monarch scope.  Before I click the buy button, is there anything else out there that can touch this for the price?  I need a decent hunting scope for whitetail.

Thanks,

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2010 at 16:59
Originally posted by Hubby11 Hubby11 wrote:

Looks like it is still available for $199 (no more jackets?) at http://swfa.com/Nikon-3-9x40-Team-Primos-Riflescope-P47059.aspx

I am about to pull the trigger on this.  I understand this is basically a Monarch scope.  Before I click the buy button, is there anything else out there that can touch this for the price?  I need a decent hunting scope for whitetail.

Thanks,

It's an exceptional scope and value.

Some like the BDC reticle and others don't.
That would probably be the only issue.   
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2010 at 17:38
I'm happy with mine. Thunbs Up
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2010 at 18:05
It is a great scope for an outstanding price. The only downside I have seen with the BDC is at last light in cover. The glass gets you there but the reticle is a bit thin. This isn't the only great mid-range scope that does that, either. You have to spend quite a bit more to get the reticles that work in those conditions with Monarch class optics.
I have never had a problem with adjustments or maintaining zero with one of these Nikons. They have been rock solid in that regard.
So it still rates a buy in my book.

Doug
Hubby11 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubby11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2010 at 18:21
Thanks for the replies so far.  The BDC is the only thing I am unsure of.  I would prefer the Nikoplex but for $200 I'm guessing I can live with it.  Was also looking at the Burris Fullfield 3X-9X-40mm, but am I right in thinking that you have to move up to the Signature line to get glass quality comparable to the Monarch?

Last minute second thoughts are a bummer.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2010 at 19:43
The Bushnell 4200 3-9x40 is also an exceptional buy, but it is more expensive.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2010 at 20:05

In Ilya's head to head to head review of $200 optics, the Vortex Diamondback 3-9 x 40 came out on top of the Burris and they both beat the Nikon.

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=21176

Granted it was not the Team Primos Nikon, but the prostaff. 

Ilya's reviews make for informative reading.

If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2010 at 20:17
My Signatures are right in line with the Nikon glass. 
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2010 at 21:21
Originally posted by neilbilly neilbilly wrote:

In Ilya's head to head to head review of $200 optics, the Vortex Diamondback 3-9 x 40 came out on top of the Burris and they both beat the Nikon.

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=21176

Granted it was not the Team Primos Nikon, but the prostaff. 

Ilya's reviews make for informative reading.

The Team Primos is much better optically than the Prostaff.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2010 at 22:20
Yes it is better. 
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
mncarbine View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mncarbine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2010 at 23:19
Hiya...

Would be nice to have a head-to-head comparision between this Nikon lense and the Bushnell 4200 3-9X40.  The Bushnell is about $50 more, but is a current model and they have the camo jacket offer for another $15.

If you look at the "2009 Riflescope Rating Scale" you will see that the 4200 is tied or ahead of some Monarchs, depending on what version this one is closest to:

Bushnell Elite 4200, Leupold VX-3, Nikon Monarch & Monarch X, Zeiss Conquest

Leupold Mark 4 VX III & VX-L, Meopta, Nikon Monarch Gold & Titanium, Sightron SIII & S2 Big Sky, Vortex Viper

If it is equivalent to the Monarch Gold or Titanium (or a lower grade) then the 4200 is better.

If it is comparable to the regular Monarch or X, then it is theoretically equivalent to the 4200, speaking in general across the product line.  Of course there are still differences within the lines and the scopes have different specs.

Would like to know from someone who knows how the this scope compares to the 4200?

Thanks!

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2010 at 06:06
Originally posted by mncarbine mncarbine wrote:

Hiya...

Would be nice to have a head-to-head comparision between this Nikon lense and the Bushnell 4200 3-9X40.  The Bushnell is about $50 more, but is a current model and they have the camo jacket offer for another $15.

If you look at the "2009 Riflescope Rating Scale" you will see that the 4200 is tied or ahead of some Monarchs, depending on what version this one is closest to:

Bushnell Elite 4200, Leupold VX-3, Nikon Monarch & Monarch X, Zeiss Conquest

Leupold Mark 4 VX III & VX-L, Meopta, Nikon Monarch Gold & Titanium, Sightron SIII & S2 Big Sky, Vortex Viper

If it is equivalent to the Monarch Gold or Titanium (or a lower grade) then the 4200 is better.

If it is comparable to the regular Monarch or X, then it is theoretically equivalent to the 4200, speaking in general across the product line.  Of course there are still differences within the lines and the scopes have different specs.

Would like to know from someone who knows how the this scope compares to the 4200?

Thanks!

the scopes arent ranked like you think, they are placed in a line in alphabetical order, not ranked on better to worse. any scope that is in a line is comparable to the other scopes in that same line, they arent ranked in that line.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
mncarbine View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mncarbine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2010 at 08:40
Yes, I know that.  I wasn't trying to say the ones on a given line are better or worse than each other aside from feature differences based on individual likes and dislikes  Since I don't know which version of the Monarch the Team Primo is, I don't know how it compares.  There are four Monarchs listed.  Two as being comparable to the 4200, two being in the lower category.  That doesn't mean this Nikon matches any of those four Monarchs.  Someone said it was a Monarch UCC, but that model isn't mentioned in the list.

I have heard others say the Vortex Viper is better than the Bushnell 4200, but that isn't where it was ranked in this list.

Thanks!
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2010 at 10:39
It would be ranked in the same category as the 4200 Elite. Bare in mind that optical quality alone isn't what puts the scopes in their respective groups. It is dependabilty, features for the price range etc. So far as the Viper being better than the 4200 Elite. I saw no difference to indicate that. It is most like opinionated conjecture. I would rank them fairly close to being even. 

Cyborg
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2010 at 10:44
One of the big advantages of the 4200 over the Viper that would move it ahead is the rain guard, for a hunter that is a huge thing.  For a target shooter probably not so much.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
mncarbine View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mncarbine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2010 at 12:05
Hello again guys...

What I am interested in is to compare the Nikon Team Primos with the Bushnell 4200.  I was trying to confirm which Monarch the Nikon was the same as to see if it was a Monarch ranked lower than the 4200 or the Monarchs rated equal to the 4200.  There are four Monarchs in the 2009 Riflescope list.  I don't know if the $200 Nikon is one of those four Monarchs or yet another version?  Regardless of which version it is, would still like to know how it compares to the Bushnell and/or the Viper.

Thanks so much....  I am ready to pull the trigger once we get down to this final decision :)

Lew
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2010 at 12:08
The Nikon you are asking about is a 3-9 power. Dependability wise, and optically it is equal to the 4200. The 4200 has a 4x erector and rain guard. If you can live without the wider power range, and the rain guard then the Nikon is a great bargain.

Cyborg
mncarbine View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mncarbine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2010 at 12:10
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

One of the big advantages of the 4200 over the Viper that would move it ahead is the rain guard, for a hunter that is a huge thing.  For a target shooter probably not so much.  

Correct, not important to me.  I would take glass quality, light handling, and how good the reticle is.  One important factor is whether I want the normal Plex reticle on the Bushnell vs. the BDC on the Nikon.  The Viper offers both reticle choices whereas the Bushnell doesn't, but if I should buy the Bushnell instead of the Viper, then I need to consider whether to buy the Nikon vs. the Bushnell?

Would be nice to have all three in front of me to compare personally, but in that I am unable to do that, your opinions are really important and appreciated.

Lew
mncarbine View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mncarbine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2010 at 12:37
Originally posted by cyborg cyborg wrote:

The Nikon you are asking about is a 3-9 power. Dependability wise, and optically it is equal to the 4200. The 4200 has a 4x erector and rain guard. If you can live without the wider power range, and the rain guard then the Nikon is a great bargain.

Hello...I know what rain guard is, which isn't especially important to me.  I don't know what a "4X erector" is?    They are both 3-9X40 scopes so I am not sure what you mean by a "wider power range"?  I am having a hard time finding full specs on the Nikon since it isn't on the Nikon site and the SWFA site doesn't have all the data that might have been available for the Nikon before it was rebadged.

Sorry for my stupid questions, but I get confused easily, especially when using terms I am unfamiliar with like "erector".  I was given an Erector set as a child, but don't think that applies here :)

Lew
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2010 at 13:25
If you are only shooting to 200 to 300 yards, I would say BDC is not needed.  With 55 grain 223 ammo if you zero at 50 yards you will hit within 1 inch diff at 200 yards.  Call SWFA and ask them what version of the Monarch it is.

IIRC when the changed the design a little 2 or 3 years back they badged the old design the team primos.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic