OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Mount for AR-15

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mncarbine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2010 at 08:54
Hiya.....  I didn't mean to imply that iron sights are target grade sights.  Do you know about the Appleseed program?  The intent is to give you something similar to military training.  The ability to take a "rack" gun with iron sights and shoot people and even at some long distances.  I have never had formal training as I missed going in the military ('Nam era).  I want to go back to the basics and learn to shoot with the basics.

Turns out while trying to find a substitute and not knowing what was junk and what was good, I happened to find the Rock River Arms rear sight they would have put on my carbine.

As you mentioned, I had the RRA rear iron sight with the EOTech mount.  They make an A2 carry handle version ($140) and another "tactical handle version" ($175).   That is compared to the one that came with my carbine ($185).

A guy on eBay supposedly bought two carbines, one came with the carry handle version, another came with the tactical handle version.  He was selling either one for $95 on a buy it now so I snapped up the tactical handle version.

This way I won't have to guess about the quality.  The actual sight part is the same as on my current mount.

One problem with the flip up sights is none of them have elevation adjustments.  Forces you to play around with the front sight for elevation rather than simply turning the dial on the back.

Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic