OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Mount for AR-15

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mncarbine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mount for AR-15
    Posted: April/21/2010 at 16:23
Hiya...  after driving everyone nuts on the scope forum, I am over here to figure out what mount to get. 

Looks like I will be mounting a Vortex Diamondback 3.5-10X50 on my Rock River LAR-15 with a M4 rail.

I currently have the Dominator 2 A2 rear sight with the EOTech rail on it which is how I bought it.  I will be taking the Dominator off and will use the M4 rail underneath.  I hear a lot about LaRue and Burris mounts.  What else should I consider? 

Thanks!
cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2010 at 07:25
Depends on whether you want quick detach or not.  I have both the Larue LT-104 and the Burris PEPR.  Both work, but if you want to be able to remove the scope and use the irons quickly, then you will want the Larue or a American Defense qd mount. 
mncarbine View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mncarbine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2010 at 08:36
Thanks for the reply...  I don't care about quick....won't be in combat :)  I noticed RRA sells their own version for $50, cheaper than the Burris.  I also found a clone that looks cheaper than the Burris.  The RRA one doesn't have the rail on top of the mount like the Burris, and the other clone I found for $50 has rails on 3 sides of the scope mount.  Since I have a quadrail handguard, I don't know if it matters whether I have a rail on the scope?

Thanks!
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2010 at 08:43
For the shear fact of quality i would get the Burris, Its a tried and true mount that a lot of us here run.  I love mine.  Would a knockoff be just as good?  who knows, but i dont' wanna find out if it will fail when i need it most.  Get teh PEPR.  Or wait until SWFA releases the new SSALT gen II.  I will get one of those as soon as they come out and replace my Burris simply because if its like the Gen I's it a 30MM with 1" reducers that make it able to accept near about everything that woudl go on the AR.  Plus its SWFA brand and well, I love them guys! lol
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
mncarbine View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mncarbine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2010 at 09:25
OK, I give....so the mount is figured out...and since I can't wait, I won't be able to wait for the next version of the SWFA one.

Still trying to find out about the Nikon lens...

Thanks again!
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2010 at 09:28
That Nikon is a good scope.  I don't have one, but a lot of people claim it is comparable to the 4200.  But it does not have a rainguard type coating if that matters to you.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
mncarbine View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mncarbine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2010 at 13:18
Thanks supertool....  Still wish I knew what version of the monarch it was and what the other specs for it are...since it isn't on the Nikon site, the full normal details don't seem to be available.

As I mentioned on the other topic, the Nikon is BDC vs. the plex on the Bushnell.  The Viper is either.  Not having much scope experience, I don't know if BDC matters or not, but is worth considering for the "Cool" factor   :)

Thanks to both of you for your input!
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2010 at 18:01
Originally posted by mncarbine mncarbine wrote:

Thanks supertool....  Still wish I knew what version of the monarch it was and what the other specs for it are...since it isn't on the Nikon site, the full normal details don't seem to be available.

Glass stayed the same. 4x erector, side focus, (on some) and fixed 4" ER are the only changes I'm aware of.
Not sure what more your looking for.
mncarbine View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mncarbine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2010 at 20:23
I still don't know what 4X erector means, so we are still talking Greek to me, sorry.

I was looking for info like pupil diameter, but not that important now.  After debating the Nikon, Vortex, and the Bushnell, I was hard pressed to pass on the 4200 for $216 so that is what I did.  Even if the Nikon is a few dollars left, I felt more comfortable picking a current vs. an obsolete model not even listed on the Nikon site.  The SWFA rep I went through thinks the Viper is better than the 4200 despite falling the other way around on the 2009 Riflescope list.  He thought the edges of the glass were better on the Vortex, but I didn't feel a need to spend about $84 to get the Viper.  This way I can also get the coat for $15 if I decide to get it.  There were no more free coats with the Nikon.

Thanks!
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2010 at 22:36

exit eye pupil is determined by dividing the objective size  ( front of the scope) by the power you have the scope set at.     As it gets dark and you want to brighten the image you dial down the power to about 6x or lower and the image appears brighter.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2010 at 09:54

I still don't know what 4X erector means, so we are still talking Greek to me, sorry.

They are talking about the magnification range.  like a 3-9x would have a 3x erector.  A 2.5-10x or a 4-16x or a 6-24x would have a 4x erector.  A 3-15x, 5x erector.  A 3-18x a 6x erector.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

mncarbine View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mncarbine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2010 at 12:39
Why did cheaptrick describe the rebadged Nikon as 4X?

Thanks!
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2010 at 13:01
He was probably talking about the newer 2.5-10x model

mncarbine View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mncarbine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2010 at 14:44
Gotcha...was confused by the 4X and not knowing how that word applied in the scope world.

Thanks again, you have been real helpful.

Still trying to get the Burris mount.  Found a place that says their supplier has it, so they took my order.  If their supplier has them, then why don't all the places have them?

I don't know if Burris shut down the line, or if all their output is going somewhere in timbucktoo.

Thanks
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2010 at 18:06

Why did cheaptrick describe the rebadged Nikon as 4X?

Thanks!

I didnt, or didn't mean too. I was referring to the new Monarch having the 4x erector, NOT the older style Monarch/Primos.
Sorry for the confusion.  
mncarbine View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mncarbine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2010 at 21:54
Gotcha...but I wasn't asking about that, so my novice mind got confused.  I didn't know what the term meant or what you were talking about.  Even when the term got explained it still didnt' make since until supertool guess you were talking about the new Monarch.  They do still sell 3-9X versions too.  That was part of the confusion.  They sell several models under the Monarch title which makes the name Monarch by itself meaningless until you know if it is the UCC, the gold, the titanium, the x or whatever.

Thanks!
mncarbine View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mncarbine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2010 at 10:54
BTW, finally found a place that could get a Burris mount which is on it's way to me now.

I am still trying to find a BUIS for it however.  I bought one which was junk so I need to shop more.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2010 at 10:57
Explain to me again why you want a BUIS?  You know with the PEPR its not a quick on/off right?
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
mncarbine View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mncarbine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2010 at 14:14
There are times when I will want to practice with an iron sight, like at the Appleseed class in 2 weeks.  The decision is whether to go with a regular rear sight, a flip up rear sigh, or a carry handle with sight.

If I won't have it on with the scope, I don't need a flip up, which was my original plan.  If I have to get out the hex key for the scope mount, then I may as well bolt on a rear sight.

I made the mistake of buying a cheapy carry handle and it is crap.  So I am shopping again for an iron sight, be it stand alone, or in a carry handle.

Having a traditional A2 carry handle is giving the carbine a "military" look.

I would like to get the cheapest best rear sight whether it be in a handle or not.  I saw a weaver for $80, but don't know if it is Weaver quality, or a "budget" line in Weaver.  I don't want a UTG or Leapers.  I have looked at DPMS for around $100.  I want windage and elevation.  Most flip ups sacrifice elevation.

Thanks!
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2010 at 19:15
Back up iron sights are not target grade sights they are ment to have some way to get on target ---  man size ---  if your other optics break in combat, on the range you would be well advised to just use the  Rock River dominator you already have.  I would have used the La Rue mount but cheap and works good are at opposite ends of the scale.   Buy once cry once. Buy the cheap crap and you can do that many times over.   ARMS makes a decent BUIS as do several others.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic