OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Lesser priced scopes, why?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2010 at 11:13
I had been waiting for Obama to do a cash for clunkers with rifle scopes, but it just didn't look like it was happening so I started upgrading on my own. Big Grin
If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2010 at 11:15
Originally posted by neilbilly neilbilly wrote:

I had been waiting for Obama to do a cash for clunkers with rifle scopes, but it just didn't look like it was happening so I started upgrading on my own. Big Grin

they would probably tack on a tax increase to your income for every scope you turned in too.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2010 at 11:32
True that.
lennyzrx View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lennyzrx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2010 at 15:11
I can get by with cheaper glass on most of my stuff. I keep an eye out for sales like the 3-9 Burris Timbeline and the Nikon Primos, the new Redfield, Weaver models ect.

It's one thing when a scope goes bad 15 minutes away from home hunting and a total different thing on a big $$$$ hunt acoss the country or out of it.

If I were to travel or pay for a hunt I'd step up in my choice of optics and likely have spares.
Trays 7940 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trays 7940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2010 at 16:29
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

I think because some people just want a cheapo scope.  They want to buy a $300 rifle and buy a $50 scope and thats good enough for them.  They probably only shoot 10 rounds a year for deer hunting and that is it.  I have had several $50 that would hold zero and my dad used a $30 Tasco on his .243 for over 30 years and it held zero and never gave him a problem.  The glass was very subpar, but it held zero, held up, and he killed a lot of deer with it over the years.

I agree once you have had a nicer scope, using a cheap scope is hard to do.  I just think that some people want to spend a minimal amount of money to go out hunting once or twice a year and thats all they need is a cheap scope. 
I think you hit it, supertool, to some people- it's just good enough for them.  I work with a guy that wants to shoot during the deer season, hit his deer and then the equipment goes into the closet after that, never to be seen till next season...
Me, on the other hand, if all the bullets don't go into the same hole, Iam trying to figure it all out.... Bullets, scope, wind, rifle, etc.   I gotta know why they all did not go into the same hole....Whacko

I don't shoot innocent animals, just the one's who look guilty.
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2010 at 16:49

I hear ya Lenny. 

I always take a back-up rifle just in case. I'll sight both in before I leave for the hunt and have been glad I did a couple of times.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic