OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Gun for a gift

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2010 at 09:48
Boy did I miss read. Does she really like you that much? Obviously.

Well the SPS 223 is one that would fit your, "glad to have it and remember the wife every time you pick it up". Plus if she hasn't already shown interest in shooting it would be ideal for her learning. And it won't max her budget. She will appreciate that. Then when she asks what you want for your birthday she might not think it too much when you tell her you'd like that 700.00 Leupold or Conquest to set on it. If your a wheel fan there are some S&W's that are glass smooth out of the box and alot of fun. I don't care for the noise but that may not bother you. Keep us up on your latest choices.
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2010 at 10:15
Yeah shes a keeper,  she has always been very supportive of my "gun addiction"  she married me knowing it.  She didnt' care to much for it when we meet but once she got her hand on that walther P22 she can't shoot enough.  She hasn't really gotten in to rifles as much but last time out she not only shot the big 300 win mag she nailed the xring at 100yards with it.  She also went through about 4 mags of ammo on the AR so she's starting to pick it up.  I like the ideal of the 223 bolt gun, it would fit the bill for something cheaper to shoot and she could shoot more too.  Maybe the SPS or even a savage like ole' uncle Buds lol
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2010 at 10:31
  Yea,a .223 bolt gun would NICE!  Been thinking about one but can't find a REASONABLY priced one that I can make go 6 to 6 1/2lbs all up.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2010 at 10:36
OK if you must select a rifle the R5 Mil-Spec Remmington is $1049 and I dont know if you can scrounge the difference or not but it is the one rifle that you will not want to leave home wihtout - and there is little chance that it wont be deadly accurate.     300WM,  .308, or .223 Thunbs Up

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - April/23/2010 at 19:55

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2010 at 10:52
Urimaginaryfrnd you defentently have the above average collection. When I grow up I hope to have almost as good. I'm gonna ask maybe a dumb question. Did you chose the R5 300WM over a A-bolt 300? Or was the A-bolt even considered? Reason I ask is I see a 300WM in my future and was leaning toward the A-bolt.

Sorry I hijacked your thread STV.
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2010 at 10:57

No problem  I am curious on that too!

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2010 at 11:33

<$1000  damn dude. Bow  Operation Sugar Momma seemed to work out for ya. Thunbs Up

All kidding aside, that's awesome that you guys are in a position to do REALLY nice things for each other. 

The .204 Ruger could be something you'd both enjoy. "and if you hate it, I know a guy in Texas that really wants one This Much"

She got a sister?

If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2010 at 14:44
LOL yeah Neil she does have a sister, shes 16........lol     

Is it technically a sugar mama if she is using the money out of the joint account?  keep in mind she's a full time student lol.
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2010 at 14:59

Eek

My oldest is 15. 

Sorry

Now wouldn't that be a lot like me saying... next rounds on me, then using your debit card?

Full time student...... what's she gunna be when she grows up?  Wink  Proper sugar momma professions include Lawyer, Doctor, gun shop owner, etc.

Best of luck to you both. Thunbs Up

If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2010 at 15:10
lol  we are going to open a store when we move back to the coast but she is actually going to school to be a teacher.  Doubt she sticks with it that long but  I am ok with her being a housewife adn raising kids when the time comes.
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2010 at 20:17
Browning AThumbs Down Bolt .375 H&H  holds a very special place in my heart right next to the Winchester CoyoteThumbs Down Lite 300WSM as the two absolute worst shooting rifles I have ever owned.  They make a TC encore seem like a precision rifle with its 4 inch group at 100.  

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - April/21/2010 at 22:56

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2010 at 22:40
I'm glad you mentioned the White Oak Armory. That is one I have had trouble getting info on. I'll be gettin an AR later this summer and had a Colt at the top of my list and the Rock River as a second but wanted to get some feedback on the WOA for comparasion.
Is the 375 the only A-bolt you've had? And what was wrong with it that it shot so poorly? I've seen several 30-06 and 270 A-bolts that were tac drivers. Help me understand your total disgust with them.
No doubt the R5 has made its mark and is a no brainer in the 1K budget. If you convince me that the A-bolt is best left alone I'll have to put someore change in the piggy bank.

Thanks!
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2010 at 23:06
I had the .375  A-Bolt for about 5 years and never could get it to group right it just sort of sprayed bullets the general direction.  That was about 15 yrs ago and I wont have another one.  Brownings older guns made in the 60s and 70s were fine rifles and I have a friend who just loves his.   Tikka makes a 3 shot 1 inch at 100 guarantee.  I have one of them and they shoot well.  Savage seems to make consistently accurate rifles.  Remmington PSS and The R5 are a more expensive rifle but I really like the stock and the weight tames some of the recoil.  I would have no hesitation recommending the R5 in a 300 WM  with 1 in 10 twist rate, or in the .308 which has an 11.25 twist for heavy bullets at long range, the .223 has a 1 in 9 twist rate.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2010 at 07:02
So the Tikka t3's are good wes?
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2010 at 10:00
Originally posted by Sgt. D Sgt. D wrote:

I'm glad you mentioned the White Oak Armory. That is one I have had trouble getting info on. I'll be gettin an AR later this summer and had a Colt at the top of my list and the Rock River as a second but wanted to get some feedback on the WOA for comparasion.
I

I have 4 white oak barrels and they are top notch.  I was just telling Wes in a PM yesterday that I shot a .312 in 5 shot group with my 18" white oak barrel on Sat during load development.  75 grn hornady HPBT bullets with 24.5 varget.  I am pretty impressed with their stuff

Edited by supertool73 - April/22/2010 at 10:00
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2010 at 10:02
Just an FYI on white oak.  They use Wilson air gauged blanks and John profiles them to his designs.  Rock River also uses Wilson air gauged barrels so either one should shoot very well.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2010 at 18:45
The Tikka T3's shoot very well but I like the feel of the R5 better and the R5 is stainless. 

I was talking to a friend who is a gunsmith and he really likes the Weatherby Vanguard and says the action is made by Howa which he also likes and says they are very well built and durable.  He also likes CZ and I have had other gunsmiths rave about the quality of the CZ guns fit and finish.  I like the Tikka but if we are talking one very special keeper gun I would go R5 Mil Spec or a really top end Kimber 1911 or Colt 1911 as you cant get a Wilson Combat in that price range or I would go with a S&W  629 like the performance shop model.

You need to think not just nice gun but keeper gun as this should be the one gun that would be the absolute last choice if you could only keep one to me that screams R5 Mil Spec, 1911 or S&W 629.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - April/22/2010 at 19:24

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2010 at 07:26
Ok, its been narrowed down.  I can tell you that it will be a varmit gun.  Bull barrel, Bolt action in 223.  Now for the part of narrowing down the choices.  
-The Remington SPS Varmint is nice but the thing really doesn't say WOW, this is a gun you could keep forever and it be "special" its just to plain ya know?
-I saw a gun on Kimbers website and of all things its called the 84M SVT  GO FIGURE its named after me so it went on the list too. lol  Bit more but still trying to find some info on it.  Anyone know if its a good gun? 
-Really like the CZ 550 Varmint and CZ 527 Varmint too. 
-Savage is on there but I still got figure out some more on them, not knowing jack about them i got to make sure i am looking at the right ones to be good for my choices.  I know one like Bud has is a shooter but haven't found whats "best" yet.  And you savage guys who know.  Tell me the specifics on it, what the model number is if you see the best one for me.
-Tikka T3 varmint.  like the fast twist rate and all and it stands out

Thats not the full list but a few.  She made me start a list last night so I imagine she will start looking soon.  Need to narrow it down to a few before I give it to here.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2010 at 07:46
 Might want to look at this option:

"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2010 at 19:22
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

Might want to look at this option:

I ain't digging that thumbhole by no means.  Might do some more research on them.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic