OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Gun for a gift

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gun for a gift
    Posted: April/20/2010 at 10:29

My wonderful wife has asked me several times what I want for my 1yr wedding aniversary present and I have consitantly said a gun.  Reason being I will keep a gun forever and will not loose it and every time I shoot it i would think hey my wife bought this for me.   So I have been looking. Granted its two months away with the lead times on stuff and shear bordom sometimes I have been looking pretty hard.  I think i have narrowed it down to a TC encore or prohunter that I can change the barrels on.   I have had a lot of guys recommend them but have only shot one a couple times.  What do you guys think about those as far as accuracy and use of hunting?  I think i will try to pick something out that will be in the three digit range being I have to buy her something and know how spendy thats gonna be.... 

Have all these styles on my mind but the T/C's stays at the top everytime I think about it....

Leveraction woods gun
Nice rimfire rifle
Nice varmit caliber rifle like a SPS 223 or similar.

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2010 at 10:40
Ruger #1.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
swtucker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swtucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2010 at 10:43

I'd get a Tikka T3 in a caliber you like.  I have an Encore, and the barrel swap thing is nice, but it's pretty expensive.  I ended up selling all of my barrels except for the blackpowder.

If you call your shotgun a "shottie"....what do you call your pistol?
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2010 at 10:54

How was the accuracy?

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
swtucker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swtucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2010 at 12:55
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

How was the accuracy?

Very good.  Under 1 inch groups at 100yds (which is very good for me).  Just tossing out an option, but I've heard a lot of good stuff about Tikka's and very little bad....
If you call your shotgun a "shottie"....what do you call your pistol?
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2010 at 13:17
http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/12LRPV%20LEFT%20PORT

22-250 with the 1-9 twist...   Fun gun right there.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2010 at 13:19
http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/110BA

338 Lupua wouldn't be bad.
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2010 at 13:33
Originally posted by Bigdaddy0381 Bigdaddy0381 wrote:

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/110BA

338 Lupua wouldn't be bad.
cept' on the reloading budget! lol
Sgt. D View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2010 at 13:51
Graham. I know the prospect of your wife getting you a gun is all but overwelming but, This being your #1 you would do far better to suggest something like. Lets pool our money and go somewhere for just the two of us. Or if time doesn't allow, take her somewhere that might wow her and treat her like the gift she is. She may say one thing on the outside but, her heart wants you to acknowledge your passion for her. And that don't mean sex!  Her friends are always tellin her, "just wait girl, the honeymoon was over along time ago". These days just about everything in the world is working against a lasting marrage. You will have to pay double attention to her signals and be decidedly open and clear about what you need from her. I'm constantly hearing about people splitting up that have been together for many yrs. Build a solid foundation with her so the hard times don't risk you two facing what so many are today. You take care of her heart and you will have little resistance getting those things you dream about. But right now she hopes your dreaming about her. Congrats on the yr. you have had. I pray you have a lifetime of them.
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2010 at 13:54
Thanks Sgt
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2010 at 16:27
Terrific thoughts from Sgt D!
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2010 at 16:29

Still she said shes gonna get me one so keep the advise coming.....I'll be taking good care of her but she asked so i am thinking....yall keep the advise coming.

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2010 at 17:39
Originally posted by bugsNbows bugsNbows wrote:

Terrific thoughts from Sgt D!

Excellent as per usual!

A classy .22 would be nice though.

"I ain't got time to bleed!"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2010 at 20:04
what kind of budget are we talking here graham??
one of those remington custom 22lr's would be nice, but i doubt it will shoot any better than your cz does now.

Edited by pyro6999 - April/20/2010 at 20:05
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2010 at 20:31
 I agree with the SGT. guns come and go, a good marriage and wife but once.
froggy
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2010 at 22:30
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

My wonderful wife has asked me several times what I want for my 1yr wedding aniversary present and I have consitantly said a gun.  Reason being I will keep a gun forever and will not loose it and every time I shoot it i would think hey my wife bought this for me.   So I have been looking. Granted its two months away with the lead times on stuff and shear bordom sometimes I have been looking pretty hard.  I think i have narrowed it down to a TC encore or prohunter that I can change the barrels on.   I have had a lot of guys recommend them but have only shot one a couple times.  What do you guys think about those as far as accuracy and use of hunting?  I think i will try to pick something out that will be in the three digit range being I have to buy her something and know how spendy thats gonna be.... 

Have all these styles on my mind but the T/C's stays at the top everytime I think about it....

Leveraction woods gun
Nice rimfire rifle
Nice varmit caliber rifle like a SPS 223 or similar.

T/C
The folks I know who have had them were dissappointed in them. It appears that they are somewhat hit or miss on a good one for accuracy. Granted you can change barrels but that seemed to be hit and miss also. Does the single shot rifle appeal to you or is it the barrel change option?
The SPS 223 would be one that would not dissappoint but, Your odds of finding one for 3 Bens ain't so good. The Marlin XL7 is proving to be a real deal for a darn good rifle. Unfortunatly they are only offered in 25-06, 30-06 and 270. But they are close to your budget goal for a new rifle. Atleast you've got some time to look around. Let us know which way your thinkin as time closes.
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2010 at 23:25
I have had a lot of TC barrels and been disappointed more often than not. Along the way I have learned a lot but it has been an expensive lesson.  The only way I would suggest you buy an Encore is if you go with Bullberry who accuracy guarantee their barrels. http://www.bullberry.com/ 

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - April/23/2010 at 19:53

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2010 at 00:04

Rockport, Texas?

That's about 2 hours south of me straight down Hwy 35.  "which believe it or not is finally getting widened to 4 lanes about 20 years over-due, but still o.k."

Gram, sounds like you have a real keeper there. If she's determined to get you a gun, pick something you both can enjoy. 

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_49_74/products_id/14306

Congrats on your first milestone. 

I was married to my ex for 7 years. "if I'd of just walked up to her and shot her in the face I'd of been out in 6 and had extra money"Shotgun

Made better decisions in the bride selection process with wife #2 and we've been married over 5 years now. It's great when you have the right one. Thunbs Up

If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
BillyWayne View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyWayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2010 at 07:07
John 11:35
The're taking the hobbits to Isengard!!
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2010 at 08:22
Three digits meant under a grand..  I dont' really waqnt any handguns, i have heaven forbid all i want for now, but the idea of a nice wheel gun does intrigue me.  Keepem' coming!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic