OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Ultrasonic brass cleaning

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ultrasonic brass cleaning
    Posted: April/19/2010 at 11:13
A friend told me he is about to start cleaning his brass with an ultrasonic cleaner, anyone do this?

It would be nice to clean the inside as much as the outside, and to clean the primer pocket well, but not sure of any real substantive benefits.

Anyone?
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2010 at 11:15
I have thought about doing that as well.

I saw this topic over at Snipers hide.  This way looks pretty interesting as well.  It appears to really get the brass clean.  http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1153883&page=1
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2010 at 12:24
Might try the SS.
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2010 at 14:40
I've thought about it...can't remember, but there was some solution people found to be the best. Have you checked out http://www.6mmbr.com/ultrasonic.html
and http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=12779/GunTechdetail/Ultrasonic_Case_Cleaning?
Reaction time is a factor...
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2010 at 16:52
per case cleaned its expensive, unless you'll be doing thousands of cycles. A phosphate buffer solution (phosphoric acid) works best in neutralizing the ammonia salts, and the ph doesn't get out of control. (dissolve the brass or weaken it). Say something like 30 ml per liter with just a dash of Joy dishwashing soap to loosen oil. Let air dry, ,or drop in some old pillow cases for 20 mins. in the dryer.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2010 at 17:11
I see Hornady just came out with a ultra sonic cleaner.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2010 at 17:48
I am leaning more toward the stainless steel media in a tumbler, seems easier and less baby-sitting.

I'll wait till a friend runs his ultrasonic a few times, maybe I can buy his cheap.

in the end, enough time in the shaker gets it done, so no real hurry, just don't love the dust and simpler is better.

Anyone tumble after loading, to get the lube off the cases?  I haven't been doing that, might try it.  I usually just wipe them down, maybe my precision and accuracy will increase significantly!
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2010 at 19:49
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

I am leaning more toward the stainless steel media in a tumbler, seems easier and less baby-sitting.
Never heard of that...wonder how much it would peen (and work-harden) the brass.

I'll wait till a friend runs his ultrasonic a few times, maybe I can buy his cheap.
LOL!

in the end, enough time in the shaker gets it done, so no real hurry, just don't love the dust and simpler is better.
I drop a couple fabric softener sheets cut up into quarters into the separator. A lot comes off on to those.

Anyone tumble after loading, to get the lube off the cases?  I haven't been doing that, might try it.  I usually just wipe them down, maybe my precision and accuracy will increase significantly!
As you know, you don't want any lube, grease or other build-up in the chamber. That's for sure. I think just wiping them down is enough though. And tumbling would just introduce walnut dust into the chamber, mixing with any gunk. Plus, just sounds like more work.

Edited by jonoMT - April/19/2010 at 19:50
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2010 at 08:16
I cannot quote chapter and verse, but I read somewhere that tests done on internal case cleaning did not improve accuracy.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2010 at 08:19
Not exactly on topping of Ultrasonic but how long do you guys normally run your brass in meda when using corncob media?
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2010 at 09:23
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

Not exactly on topping of Ultrasonic but how long do you guys normally run your brass in meda when using corncob media?

Untill the cases are clean Wink
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2010 at 09:24
I use to run mine for anything from 4 to 8 hours. A lot depends on how new or clean the medium is.

I do not use a case tumbler any longer, but use citric acid (1 teaspoon in 2 pints of water)
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2010 at 09:32

hand cleaning or ultrasonic?

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2010 at 09:41
No ultra sonic. I dump the cases into the solution for about 15 secs, then rinse them in clear water and let them dry.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2010 at 09:43
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2010 at 10:11
Ok i read the article, intersting. 

So you take a spent round, and go straight into a solution and it cleans it good?
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2010 at 15:02
I use crushed walnut hulls to clean the fired brass, and then through in several damp rags in the seperator after I have seperated the media from the brass to remove the dust from the brass.
After loading, I tumble the rounds in corn cob media (Lyman treated corn cob media) for a couple of hours to remove the case lube (Dillon case lube), and it doesn't leave much dust.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2010 at 04:43
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

Ok i read the article, intersting. 

So you take a spent round, and go straight into a solution and it cleans it good?

The outside area looks nice and shiny.The primer pocket still has to be cleaned manually.
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2010 at 11:17
Citranox was the stuff I was thinking of. From what I read a gallon is about $50 with shipping and a little goes a long way. (8shots' comment on citric acid reminded me). It would be worth checking out. 
Quoddy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quoddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2010 at 11:51
I bought a Gemoro 1.2qt ultrasonic cleaner, which is the same thing as the Hornady, only $25 cheaper. Used the diluted case cleaner/distilled water solution and got really good results. My main concern was the interior of the brass and they came out really clean. The only drawback I found with the unit was that it had an 8 minute timer, and to heat the solution and clean the 125 pieces of .204 brass it took over an hour. I did some reloading at the same time so was able to reset the timer each time that it ran down. Drained the solution, did a cycle in distilled water, then finished drying the shells on a cookie sheet in a 240 degree oven after my wife had used the oven to cook supper.
.204 Because Speed Kills
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic