OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Uh-oh... Springfield Armory

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glockpacker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Uh-oh... Springfield Armory
    Posted: September/24/2005 at 18:29

First post here.

There was a really nice fella, Nick Ward, that was fairly well known and respected on gun forums.  He died suddenly of a stroke about a year ago.  He is missed by all his fellow Florida shooters, as well as folks from all over the country.

I was fortunate to acquire Nicks new tack driver from his estate.  It is a DPMS AR-10, .308 caliber with a heavy 24-inch barrel.  He had put only 20 rounds through it.  BUT it has mounted a Springfield Armory Government Model 6-20x58 Mil Dot.  It's really a great LOOKING scope, and sighting with it is a dream.  But I haven't shot it yet.

Since I found nothing on the Springfield site, I came here, and got a very rude education.

I guess I will just leave the scope in place until it's internals fall apart, then throw it in the dumpster.

Does anyone have any better suggestion?  And what could I replace it with?  I haven't found any more scopes that go to 20x58.  I'm planning on using this out to 1,000 yards.

Eric of Fort Lauderdale
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2005 at 18:41
Not all Springfield scopes were bad.  Like with anything, some were good some were not.  If it keeps zero and adjustments are repeatable, do not mess with success and leave it where it is.

As for the replacement, if you have to replace it, how much money are you willing to spend and what is most important to you?

Ilya
glockpacker View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glockpacker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2005 at 19:08

Hi, koshkin

What I would like most is for this scope to hold together.

Otherwise, I would be willing to spend in the neighborhood of a bit over $500.  I would like high magnification and a bright, clear sight picture for long-distance shooting.

I'm also looking for a scope for a handgun.  I have a Super Redhawk .44 mag with a 9 1/2-inch barrell.  I haven't done much scoped handgun shooting, and was wondering if I wanted a variable-power scope.  Usually I go fairly top of the line so I don't get grossed out by my purchases.  But I wouldn't want to drop more than about $200 for a handgun scope.

Eric of Fort Lauderdale
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2005 at 01:49
For long distance shooting in your price range there is a number of nice scopes that top out at around 20x or 24x.  I am partial to Sightron S2 6-24x42, but any one of the usual suspects will work fine: Burris Signature Select, Bushnell Elite 4200, Weaver Grand Slam, Burris Fullfield II, etc. Leupold offers a number of nice but overpriced scopes.  With a 30mm tube your best choices in this price range are Burris Euro Diamond and Black Diamond as well as Nikon Monarch Gold and Pentax Lightseekr 30, but these already get quite pricy.  You may be better off staying with a 1" tube since that seems to give you better glass for the money.  With higher magnification scope adjustment range becomes an issue (hence 30mm tubes that give you more adjustment range).  If that is a consideration look at Sightron S2 scopes; they tend to offer the most adjustment range in 1" tubes.  Burris' Ballistic Mildot is actually very useful for holdover.  As for the magnification range, I am not sure what is high to you.  I consider 16x as high as 99% of us will ever need to go, but if you want more magnification prepare to shell out more money.  Do not get too hung up on Springfield's large objective lens.  A scope with a smaller objective lense and higher quality optics will give you a more satisfying sight picture.

As for handgun scopes, the only advice I have is to stay with a basic fixed 2x scope that will give you the most flexibility in eye position and still alllow you to keep both eyes open: 

Bushnell Trophy 2x32
Burris 2x20
Nikon Monarch 2x20
Weaver 2x28

All of these are sturdy and will fit within your budget.  Another option is some non-magnified sight like Bushnell Holosight.

Ilya

Edited by koshkin
glockpacker View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glockpacker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2005 at 11:48

I certainly appreciate your time and expertise on this.  It won't go to waste.  I'm going to print it out and keep it in my rifle case.

I would say the max magnification I would try for would be 16 or 20.  I've seen as high as 32 advertised, but I don't think I would go for something like that unless I already had good scopes, and just had more money than sense, as in for a novelty.

Meantime, I'm going to treat the Springfield with kid gloves and see if it will hold together.  This is my first "real" scope, as I've always been an iron sight shooter.  I enjoy shooting my Garand out to 500 yards, but now there are some longer ranges becoming available here in Florida.

One more thing I would like to do, however, is get a handbook on this scope.  That's why I signed on to the Springfield Armory site in the first place.  Boy, I did everything I could think of th brung up their section on scopes!

Thanks!

Eric of Fort Lauderdale
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2005 at 12:33
Most scopes, if they fail, fail fairly early, maybe within the first 100-200 rounds.  If you baby your scope too much you might just be postponing the inevitable.  Do not abuse it too much, but do not baby it too much either.  You generally want its weaknesses to manifest themselves early on so that it does not die on you later at the worst possible moment.

As for the magnification, I think you'd be well served with a 4-16x with a 40-50mm objective bell and a MilDot.  A number of quality manufacturers make scopes of this variety for under $500.  Personally, I am partial to SIghtron S2 and Burris Signature Select, but there is a number of manufacturers who make quality scopes.

Ilya
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic